Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Dump Chad Henne

They had no problem throwing a very raw Bortles in there after seeing a few games by the Chadster.  In fact, what has Henne ever done? 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:They had no problem throwing a very raw Bortles in there after seeing a few games by the Chadster. In fact, what has Henne ever done?

Bortles was a 6th round pick?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:Not as much risk as making a 6th rd rookie your primary backup

Why? If Bortles goes down this team isn't winning much. If he doesn't they're maybe .500 at best. There's no reason to keep Henne when he isn't in the long term plans and this team is still a year (at least) away from real success.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Personally I'm relieved we don't have people falsely believing our future is in the backup.

That's enough to keep Henne around forever to me.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:It's crazy how quickly people forget what Henne was like the last time he got to play. I think he threw for 20 yards in a half and was so bad the coach had to put Bortles in even though he wasn't at all ready to lead an NFL team, and he was still night and day better than Henne was. If he's on the field for the Jaguars for any significant action during the season the Jaguars season will essentially be over. With that being the case I really don't understand why they wasted so much money signing him to start with, but even more I wouldn't understand why they'd cut a rookie they liked enough to draft to keep Henne around.

Henne doesn't need to win the game he just needs to not lose the game. With Ivory/Yeldon and our crop of receivers... Henne can "manage" a few games for wins if they need him... He knows everything, him and Bortles are biffles, makes perfect sense to keep him for 2 more.. 

As for Allen I say we keep him... He to can learn from Bortles/Henne and since we are all fairly certain Henne will be gone in 2 years no doubt, Allen could be a nice #2 or even better good trade bait.

Quote:Henne doesn't need to win the game he just needs to not lose the game. With Ivory/Yeldon and our crop of receivers... Henne can "manage" a few games for wins if they need him... He knows everything, him and Bortles are biffles, makes perfect sense to keep him for 2 more.. 

As for Allen I say we keep him... He to can learn from Bortles/Henne and since we are all fairly certain Henne will be gone in 2 years no doubt, Allen could be a nice #2 or even better good trade bait.

I would rather keep a possibly "good" young QB than a possibly "good" player at another position unless we are to shallow in that unit. 

(This post was last modified: 07-18-2016, 03:40 PM by Predator.)

Quote:They had no problem throwing a very raw Bortles in there after seeing a few games by the Chadster. In fact, what has Henne ever done?
Henne has double digit wins in this league and has been a multi year starter.

The real question is what has Allen ever done to even show he can run an NFL offense?

I'm all for upgrading. What I am not for is handing over the job to a 6th rd pick that hasn't even shown he can sniff Henne's jock strap yet.

Allen has a lot to learn and a lot to prove before he can be considered to even be at Henne's level.

It's a loss if Bortles isn't in there, doesn't matter who's backing him up tbh. 

Quote:It's a loss if Bortles isn't in there, doesn't matter who's backing him up tbh. 

Yep, exactly.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:i said this a few times in the past and I'm not sure if its been mentioned in this thread yet, but I think chinny and blake have a bit of a connection as friends... Now I'm not saying to just throw chad money because blake needs a buddy but I do think chad has help blake transition a little bit into the NFL. Freddy T was giving a interview and he was quoted saying one the most beneficial things he had coming into the NFL was James Stewart showing him how to be a professional. Not so much teaching him the position, but a older figure showing him how to conduct himself in the NFL. Also, whatever they are doing with blake seems to be working, so why start moving things around that really don't need to be moved. Chinny is  serviceable back who knows the offense and holds the clip board well in the mean time, imo  I don't think he needs to go anywhere.

Let's say Henne did help Blake transition to the league, which may really be the case. Well, great, but that task has been accomplished. The deed is done, and there's no need for him to stick around any longer.

Caldwell picked Allen in the sixth as the BAP because he was so far above any other player at the time. Caldwell had him going much earlier, and part of that is based on Gus and the coaches really getting to know Allen better than other teams at the Senior Bowl. There's plenty of reason to think that Allen might not last on the practice squad.

'02

Quote:Henne has double digit wins in this league and has been a multi year starter.

Oh, I see, you want to look at Henne's record. Let's do that...

For starters keep in mind that Henne hasn't even played in a game since looking like a clueless disaster starting the first three games in September, 2014. It's been a few years since Chad has had any kind of success in a NFL game, and he's not getting any younger.

Henne is 5-17 (.227) as a starter with the Jaguars, and was 14-18 (.438) with the Dolphins having won his last game with them in 2010 on a team known for winning on defense. This gives him an overall record of 19-35 (.352). Of note, the old man has thrown more INTs than TDs in his career.

'02

Quote:Oh, I see, you want to look at Henne's record. Let's do that...

For starters keep in mind that Henne hasn't even played in a game since looking like a clueless disaster starting the first three games in September, 2014. It's been a few years since Chad has had any kind of success in a NFL game, and he's not getting any younger.

Henne is 5-17 (.227) as a starter with the Jaguars, and was 14-18 (.438) with the Dolphins having won his last game with them in 2010 on a team known for winning on defense. This gives him an overall record of 19-35 (.352). Of note, the old man has thrown more INTs than TDs in his career.
And how many games has Allen won in the NFL again? Chances are he will never even eclipse Henne's record.

He was a 6th rd pick for a reason. He will be learning his craft on the inactive list this season if he even makes the roster.

Quote:And how many games has Allen won in the NFL again? Chances are he will never even eclipse Henne's record.

He was a 6th rd pick for a reason. He will be learning his craft on the inactive list this season if he even makes the roster.

Should Henne make the roster, he'd be on the exact same inactive list cashing in his old man paychecks while taking up a valuable roster spot. I simply don't see Allen not making the roster, so really it's a decision about Henne making for three qbs are only going with Bortles and Allen. Quite frankly I like Allen's chances of winning at least as many games as Henne would dinking and dunking and throwing INTs.

It's 2016. If you consider the average length of a football career, a majority of players from the 2010 season are no longer in this league. Since 2010, Henne is 5-21 (.192). Let that sink in.

'02

Well maybe, and just thinking about it.. if Henne has done such a good job mentoring Blake (and I believe he has), maybe he is useful for getting Allen up to speed this year, and then potentially being replaced by Allen as the backup next year, depending on how Allen performs in this preseason / next offseason.

Question?

Why do we care about our backups?

We will live and die by Bortles.

Quote:Should Henne make the roster, he'd be on the exact same inactive list cashing in his old man paychecks while taking up a valuable roster spot. I simply don't see Allen not making the roster, so really it's a decision about Henne making for three qbs are only going with Bortles and Allen. Quite frankly I like Allen's chances of winning at least as many games as Henne would dinking and dunking and throwing INTs.

It's 2016. If you consider the average length of a football career, a majority of players from the 2010 season are no longer in this league. Since 2010, Henne is 5-21 (.192). Let that sink in.
I hate to break it to you but Henne is under contract and will be dressing up come Sundays.

You can sit there and fantasize about all the stats you think Allen will have, but the actual truth is Henne is under contract as the jags primary backup and Allen has yet to take a snap in the NFL.

Let that thing called reality sink in.

Allen may get his chance to earn Henne's spot one day, but it's not going to be this year. You can point to all the Henne stats you want, but that doesn't change the fact that the kid has a long way to go to even get to where Henne is at. You don't become a qualified backup in this league overnight.

(This post was last modified: 07-19-2016, 08:33 AM by RicoTx.)

People want to talk as if Allen will be out 'shining' Henne in pre-season.  This isn't the old NFL, where a guy like Brady could shine in pre-season.  With the new CBA, when exactly is a sixth-round draft pick going to get enough time to prove anything?  A sixth-rounder, no matter how one might fantasize about cutting Henne, is a developmental player.  He'll probably make the roster but be the 'emergency quarterback' barring any injuries.

[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:Question?

Why do we care about our backups?

It matters when the starter goes down. Depth is important across the board

(This post was last modified: 07-19-2016, 10:39 AM by maheo30.)

I can't believe there is an actual debate about Henne verse a 6th round camp arm.

Quote:Why do we care about our backups?

The premise was not Henne vs. Allen, it was Henne vs. a promising player who will be cut if we keep 3 QBs.  Also noting that Blake hasn't missed a start and that Henne looked pathetic last time he started.