Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cops Shoot and Kill UNARMED White Male… Where’s the Outrage?

Quote:Is the context, "certain races act certain ways"?  If so, then it's not taken out of context.

Certain races of people from certain social classes do act in certain ways.  That's a fact and I don't point it out to be racist at all.  If it's in an article describing people from a certain background being arrested for possibly violent crimes from a "poor" part of a metropolitan area, then the statement is pretty much spot on.  He wasn't saying that ALL black people conduct themselves in that manner, though that's how people typically try to spin something like this.

Those are the very problems that need to be addressed and I said before, it's not just the black community it's society as a whole.

I would challenge anyone to do a little experiment.  Go to the courthouse and just watch what's going on around you.  Listen and watch.  What the author describes is reality.  Pay attention to a person's demeanor that is being led into a courtroom if they are in custody.  See how many of them "give a shout out" or display gang signs to people that are there.  Show up early and see how some of these people are dressed for court, and their demeanor.  It's not just black people either.

The bottom line is the author is describing reality and people don't want to hear it or believe it.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 07-11-2016, 05:08 PM by badger.)

Quote:The only reason that it "sounds pretty bad" is because the author didn't edit his article to be politically correct.  Go hang out at a courthouse sometime and observe for yourself.  What he says is pretty typical and true.

I believe that some of the things he said are what really need to be addressed not only by the black community, but society as a whole.  To be fair, in my experience the same line could be said by many numbers of whites and hispanics that have been arrested for violent crimes.  This author is a Public Defender in large southern metropolitan area.  His experience differs much from mine in that I was a LEO in a southwestern metropolitan area, but the observations are pretty much the same.

As far as being in "the south", I saw it first hand when my son (white step-son actually) unfortunately got himself into trouble a while back.  What he described as being kind of a "social scene", the dress and demeanor of blacks was pretty accurate not only in the Clay County Courthouse, but also in the Duval County Courthouse.

The article doesn't do anything except classify people by race, and iirc he explicitly denies the idea that poverty has something to do with it.

So tell me then, since you're so fond of the article, what's the issue at hand here?

Quote:Certain races of people from certain social classes do act in certain ways.  That's a fact and I don't point it out to be racist at all.  If it's in an article describing people from a certain background being arrested for possibly violent crimes from a "poor" part of a metropolitan area, then the statement is pretty much spot on.  He wasn't saying that ALL black people conduct themselves in that manner, though that's how people typically try to spin something like this.

Those are the very problems that need to be addressed and I said before, it's not just the black community it's society as a whole.

I would challenge anyone to do a little experiment.  Go to the courthouse and just watch what's going on around you.  Listen and watch.  What the author describes is reality.  Pay attention to a person's demeanor that is being led into a courtroom if they are in custody.  See how many of them "give a shout out" or display gang signs to people that are there.  Show up early and see how some of these people are dressed for court, and their demeanor.  It's not just black people either.

The bottom line is the author is describing reality and people don't want to hear it or believe it.

i know that... everybody knows that. I dont know why you keep saying it.

Quote:Why are you telling me how I interpret things? I know he's talking about the criminals rather than 100% of black people.Just found that piece interesting because it sounds similar to how a farmer would describe livestock or how David Attenborough would talk about some strange species of animal.

I'm not telling you how you interpret things at all.  I'm just pointing out how taking one sentence out of an essay doesn't tell the whole story.

Regarding the part in bold, I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion.

What is brought up and pointed out in the essay is what really needs to be talked about and addressed.  The thing is, in today's PC society nobody has the courage to actually to discuss it rationally.  If a white man who is a public defender brings up the fact that the majority of his black clients can't speak English well, then we should just write him off and say that he's "racist", even though what he says is fact.

It's just pretty much "burying your head in the sand" by refusing to discuss the situation, no matter how delicate and hurtful the subject might be.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:Is the context, "certain races act certain ways"? If so, then it's not taken out of context.

Uhhh, did the evil badger from the alternative universe that has a goatee hack your account?? You're making way to much sense

Quote:I'm not telling you how you interpret things at all. I'm just pointing out how taking one sentence out of an essay doesn't tell the whole story.

Regarding the part in bold, I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion.

What is brought up and pointed out in the essay is what really needs to be talked about and addressed. The thing is, in today's PC society nobody has the courage to actually to discuss it rationally. If a white man who is a public defender brings up the fact that the majority of his black clients can't speak English well, then we should just write him off and say that he's "racist", even though what he says is fact.

It's just pretty much "burying your head in the sand" by refusing to discuss the situation, no matter how delicate and hurtful the subject might be.

Probably on my own with that part in bold.

I don't find the subject delicate or hurtful at all, the guy actually made some decent points I just think it was written in an inflammatory way on purpose.

The whole black/police/white divide is pretty alien to me.

Quote:Probably on my own with that part in bold.

I don't find the subject delicate or hurtful at all, the guy actually made some decent points I just think it was written in an inflammatory way on purpose.

This divide doesn't exist where you live. At least not in the capacity as it does in the US. I will give a single example at the risk of being called out as a racist or something like that.

If I call on the telephone and speak to someone in your country, or Europe in general, I will not be able to determine the race of whom I am speaking to. There isn't the cultural divide like there is in the US.

Now, on the other hand, if you call via telephone to the US, The odds that you could tell whether you are talking to a black person or a white person are very high. Not always, but in a majority of the cases, you could tell.

That is a simple example of the cultural divide between whites and blacks in the US.

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

I kinda prefer cops slow down on killing people of any color, but I am old fashioned that way...

Quote:This divide doesn't exist where you live. At least not in the capacity as it does in the US. I will give a single example at the risk of being called out as a racist or something like that.

If I call on the telephone and speak to someone in your country, or Europe in general, I will not be able to determine the race of whom I am speaking to. There isn't the cultural divide like there is in the US.

Now, on the other hand, if you call via telephone to the US, The odds that you could tell whether you are talking to a black person or a white person are very high. Not always, but in a majority of the cases, you could tell.

That is a simple example of the cultural divide between whites and blacks in the US.

How is that a cultural divide? Determining ones race by voice recognition wouldnt be a good example...I know many whites that sound black and many blacks that sound white.. Hell if they call to the US its a good chance someone of a Hispanic, or Arabic or Asian ethnicity will answer...

Quote:How is that a cultural divide? Determining ones race by voice recognition wouldnt be a good example...I know many whites that sound black and many blacks that sound white.. Hell if they call to the US its a good chance someone of a Hispanic, or Arabic or Asian ethnicity will answer...

I think Dakota has lived in the South for too long. We Southerners all get typecast.

I've talked to many black people from Up North and they don't "sound black." Because they don't sound Southern, if that makes sense.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:I think Dakota has lived in the South for too long. We Southerners all get typecast.

I've talked to many black people from Up North and they don't "sound black." Because they don't sound Southern, if that makes sense.

Either that or he's watched Driving Miss Daisy one too many times...

Quote:Probably on my own with that part in bold.

Yes and no.  I get your point, but I think that the real issue is that real problems can't be discussed or pointed out without somebody on either side of the argument being labeled a racist.

Quote:The article doesn't do anything except classify people by race, and iirc he explicitly denies the idea that poverty has something to do with it.

So tell me then, since you're so fond of the article, what's the issue at hand here?

Its very telling he has yet to respond to this question

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

Quote:The article doesn't do anything except classify people by race, and iirc he explicitly denies the idea that poverty has something to do with it.

Quote:Its very telling he has yet to respond to this question

What is so "very telling"?

The issue at hand is the fact that there is a failure in some parts of the black community when it comes to families and education.  The issue at hand is the fact that society has gone way downhill as far as morals and values.

Quote:What is so "very telling"?

The issue at hand is the fact that there is a failure in some parts of the black community when it comes to families and education.  The issue at hand is the fact that society has gone way downhill as far as morals and values.

As for the bolded part, that's one issue, the other is addressing the failure of within the Criminal Justice system (or systematic process).

The "public defender" very loosely in just one sentence acknowledge the revolving door regarding African Americans. He didnt even touch on the recidivism rate, nor why Blacks and Latino's are disproportionately sentenced at a higher rate than Whites when it comes to felony violent and drug crimes.

It seemed to me you and a few others took a more gleeful satisfaction with how the "public defender" was describing the behavior of blacks in a courtroom setting (which is not true btw), rather than looking at the substance of the article which was severely lacking.  

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

Quote:No you don't know where I stand.

If you obey the law, you'd have no problem

And as I wrote in another thread, I had a officer pull his weapon on me, I followed his instructions to the letter. I didn't get shot.

Here is one of the problems in society today, The cops are bad guys and the criminal element is celebrated

If you follow the law you would have no problem? Really? Is that why audio is tampered with by police in Chicago? Or why police shootings and police violence against citizens dramatically decreased in California over a one year period when body cameras were used? I could post a lot of videos where it is clear obeying the law meant very little to the cops.

Having said that, we really need to focus on bad cops. Cops who are bullies and use and abuse their power. I think the Dallas Chief put things in perspective in regards to how over worked they are and responsibilties they have that they shouldn't have. We also has laws in place that we need to do away with to lessen the burden out on Cops. The problem and issues are complicated and many. It isn't just about cops killing blacks at a higher rate or black on black crime being astoundingly high or racial profiling or crime within the black community, but there are other issues like leadership with the police departments, police getting a slap on the wrist for destroying or tampering with evidence, citizens having no respect for those who serve causing an environment to be hostile when it doesn't needs to be, citizens who exercise their rights, but have them stripped away by bully cop, etc... Man the dynamic of this is so complicated, but there only seems to be a small amount of issues being discussed.

Quote:As for the bolded part, that's one issue, the other is addressing the failure of within the Criminal Justice system (or systematic process).

The "public defender" very loosely in just one sentence acknowledge the revolving door regarding African Americans. He didnt even touch on the recidivism rate, nor why Blacks and Latino's are disproportionately sentenced at a higher rate than Whites when it comes to felony violent and drug crimes.

It seemed to me you and a few others took a more gleeful satisfaction with how the "public defender" was describing the behavior of blacks in a courtroom setting (which is not true btw), rather than looking at the substance of the article which was severely lacking.  

I'll disagree with you on a couple of things.

First of all, Blacks and Latinos are probably sentenced at a higher rate for violent and/or felony crimes than Whites because they are the ones getting caught more often.  Ask yourself a simple question.  Of Blacks, Whites and Hispanics which two groups of people are more likely to be associated with gang activity?  Be honest about it.

I didn't take "gleeful satisfaction" of how the public defender described the behavior in the courtroom by most Blacks.  I simply agreed based on my own experience and what I've seen with my own eyes.  I rather feel sorry for many in the Black community because for some that is a "way of life".

Once again, go down to the Duval County Courthouse or the Clay County Courthouse and just observe.  What the author of the essay says is pretty much true.

Quote:Either that or he's watched Driving Miss Daisy one too many times...

All I know is I don't have to ask your permission to pass water.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:I'll disagree with you on a couple of things.

First of all, Blacks and Latinos are probably sentenced at a higher rate for violent and/or felony crimes than Whites because they are the ones getting caught more often. Ask yourself a simple question. Of Blacks, Whites and Hispanics which two groups of people are more likely to be associated with gang activity? Be honest about it.

I didn't take "gleeful satisfaction" of how the public defender described the behavior in the courtroom by most Blacks. I simply agreed based on my own experience and what I've seen with my own eyes. I rather feel sorry for many in the Black community because for some that is a "way of life".

Once again, go down to the Duval County Courthouse or the Clay County Courthouse and just observe. What the author of the essay says is pretty much true.

I really hope you are just purposely sugarcoating this, or it could be you are looking at things with a pre conceived notion.

Blacks and Latinos are sentences disproportionately because while they are more likely to be caputured, they often times come from improvished background who can't afford a decent lawyer, which in turn they are awarded an overworked public defender.

It's a easy cop out to associate gangs with blacks and Latinos but are you focusing on how the justice system handles these individuals from the youthful offender rate all the way until their adulthood. It's a systematic breakdown.

I visit the courthouse and others in surrounding countries I don't see many African Americans in court (for any offense) acting the way described in the article.

Quote:I really hope you are just purposely sugarcoating this, or it could be you are looking at things with a pre conceived notion.

Blacks and Latinos are sentences disproportionately because while they are more likely to be caputured, they often times come from improvished background who can't afford a decent lawyer, which in turn they are awarded an overworked public defender.

It's a easy cop out to associate gangs with blacks and Latinos but are you focusing on how the justice system handles these individuals from the youthful offender rate all the way until their adulthood. It's a systematic breakdown.

I visit the courthouse and others in surrounding countries I don't see many African Americans in court (for any offense) acting the way described in the article.

I can say pretty confidently that if people watch court for even a few days, they will see people of all kinds and backgrounds act astonishingly awful, ridiculous, hilarious, anti social, and flat out amazingly terrible.

Black, white...whatever.

It doesn't matter whether they or their family can afford whatever attorney you like, things like anti social tendencies, addiction, mental disease, and overall jerk-ism (work I just sent to Webster) apply to everyone.

As do violence, greed, irresponsibility etc..

To try to paint one group over another is just hilarious, and at the same time sad, to me.

I can think of dozens of examples that can make you laugh, shake your head, or vomit for everyone.

However, to say that you don't see that when you watch court means you don't go to court at all.

That's a good thing.....I often tell my clients that if they can keep the Duval County Courthouse out of their life, they'll definitely be better off.