Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
At least three police officers killed by snipers during Dallas protest, chief says

Quote:Actually, we are in agreement on this!

End the war on drugs. Legalize marijuana. Consider legalizing all drugs, or at the very least treat the possession of drugs as a disease, not a crime.

Second, stop the militarization of our local police force. The police should not be buying and be given weapons and military equipment that is designed for war. Cops are not warriors, the police are peace keepers, not an occupying army.

Increase the barriers to employment. Cops should be 4 year college grads and should be paid accordingly. Lower the number of police officers, but increase the quality of the staff.

Finally, remove the profit motive from policing. The number of tickets should not be a motivation to the officer. There are other ways to determine the success and areas of opportunity within a police staff. The number of tickets you write and the number of people you haul to jail should not be the primary method of judging the success of community policing.

These are all libertarian ideals, less power, less staffing, more efficient, and more subservient to the community.
Neither party, including Trump, supports a smaller government. The solution is always more government in the unipartys eyes.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Finally, remove the profit motive from policing. The number of tickets should not be a motivation to the officer. There are other ways to determine the success and areas of opportunity within a police staff. The number of tickets you write and the number of people you haul to jail should not be the primary method of judging the success of community policing.

I would think politicians, not the police doing their job, would be responsible for using the department as a revenue generating source for locality (not a financial benefit to the officers themselves.)  There may be incentive involved, but it's certainly not the police lining their pockets.  Otherwise, I agree with most of what you laid out.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(This post was last modified: 07-08-2016, 09:12 AM by Yo Boy.)

Quote:Obviously the media foments a racial divide by focusing on certain cases. And the Community Organizers are only too happy to go along with the game. They create anti-police attitudes then wonder what went wrong when police are targeted and killed.

So who are the snipers in Dallas? Someone inspired to kill cops by BLM? A professional hit team trying to gin up Martial Law?
Green vest and snipers .. Sound like a setup..

End the war on drugs. Legalize marijuana. Consider legalizing all drugs, or at the very least treat the possession of drugs as a disease, not a crime.

Second, stop the militarization of our local police force. The police should not be buying and be given weapons and military equipment that is designed for war. Cops are not warriors, the police are peace keepers, not an occupying army.

Increase the barriers to employment. Cops should be 4 year college grads and should be paid accordingly.
Lower the number of police officers, but increase the quality of the staff.

Finally, remove the profit motive from policing. The number of tickets should not be a motivation to the officer. There are other ways to determine the success and areas of opportunity within a police staff. The number of tickets you write and the number of people you haul to jail should not be the primary method of judging the success of community policing.

These are all libertarian ideals, less power, less staffing, more efficient, and more subservient to the community.
I don't know why anyone would want to be a Cop at this point. Especially someone who went through 4 years of college.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Quote:This is reactionary, and I can't even say I blame people for thinking this way. But you are escalating the situation rather than resolving it. Cops may seem like the oppressors, but in reality they are byproducts of a system that is threatening them increasingly (just the same as Black men feel threatened, Cops do as well). Attacking the cops doesn't change the system, but it will change the enforcer i.e. clear the way for martial law. I wish MLK Jr was alive. He is needed now more than ever.

I can't agree with you more.  One of the biggest problems with this entire situation is lack of leadership.  We have people speaking from podiums instead of face to face in the communities.

It's past time for a coming together, but we're being purposefully driven apart.

Quote:I can't agree with you more.  One of the biggest problems with this entire situation is lack of leadership.  We have people speaking from podiums with an agenda
instead of face to face in the communities.

It's past time for a coming together, but we're being purposefully driven apart.
Fixed that for you.

Quote:I would think politicians, not the police doing their job, would be responsible for using the department as a revenue generating source for locality (not a financial benefit to the officers themselves.) There may be incentive involved, but it's certainly not the police lining their pockets. Otherwise, I agree with most of what you laid out.

You're absolutely right. My point is not to say that the police officer is at fault in this motivation. It's coming from the politicians looking to increase revenue via policing-- and it's doing more harm than good.

It's making cops look at people as quotas and not citizens. And it makes citizens despise the officers as uncaring robots of arbitrary rules.

The entire issue, as I see it, is the result of God awful political policies. The good news, to me, is that these issues can be resolved if we were to reverse these terrible policies.

I don't even have words for this. I didn't even know about it until 20 minutes ago when my husband told me. 

This is the story from BBC. I'm sure there are updates. It has some video. Nothing gruesome, just hard to watch and see everyone so frightened and the cops trying to get people off the streets while the shooters are trying to snipe them. My sensitive natured heart is having a hard time processing this insanity. My head feels like it's in a blender.  Sad

Increase the barriers to employment. Cops should be 4 year college grads and should be paid accordingly. Lower the number of police officers, but increase the quality of the staff.

I agree with the first point, and decriminalization of pot is long overdue.

As for the militarization of the police departments, the Dallas sniper lost his life to a bomb-delivering robot.  I can't, right now, agree with giving police departments less sophisticated tools for killing bad people.

If you're going to increase the barriers to employment by the police force, you're going to have to pay them more, which brings us to your 3rd point about reducing the profit motive:

If you want better police, and need to pay them more, you'll have to pay more in taxes or reduce services in another area of your government.  Which do you prefer?

As this is my first post in this topic, I'd also like to say that what the gunman did is completely reprehensible and evil, and is own fault, not the fault of the president, the police, the NRA, or Black Lives Matter movement.

The Dallas police chief says it was one sniper who said he was upset over the recent police shootings and was targeting white people, especially white police officers. The sniper was killed by a robot armed with a bomb.
If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:The Dallas police chief says it was one sniper who said he was upset over the recent police shootings and was targeting white people, especially white police officers. The sniper was killed by a robot armed with a bomb.
I have read that there were 3 or 4 snipers, and heard on DFW news: http://dfw.cbslocal.com/show/cbs-11-live-video/

"Violence as a way of achieving racial justice is both impractical and immoral. I am not unmindful of the fact that violence often brings about momentary results. Nations have frequently won their independence in battle. But in spite of temporary victories, violence never brings permanent peace. It solves no social problem: it merely creates new and more complicated ones. Violence is impractical because it is a descending spiral ending in destruction for all. It is immoral because it seeks to humiliate the opponent rather than win his understanding: it seeks to annihilate rather than convert. Violence is immoral because it thrives on hatred rather than love. It destroys community and makes brotherhood impossible. It leaves society in monologue rather than dialogue. Violence ends up defeating itself. It creates bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers."  Martin Luther King, Jr.

This is from his Nobel Peace Prize speech from 1964. It speaks volumes. 

There may have not only been snipers, as it's been reported at least one was shot at point blank range.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Man-Wit...78931.html

Quote:I can't agree with you more. One of the biggest problems with this entire situation is lack of leadership. We have people speaking from podiums instead of face to face in the communities.

This, in my eyes, is the most dog gone frustrating thing about this issue.

It's clear the system is broken, and there are obvious ways that everyone can see. But our ejected officials just want to maintain the status quo after each episode that occurs.

The lack of leadership, and lack of intestinal fortitude, by our elected officials is unacceptable.

And the media doesn't help. We've been suffering through this nightmare for a long enough time where grieving and moving on is no longer acceptable.

It's time for people to start implementing solutions. You can't stop racism. And there will always be terrible cops that slip into a uniform. But that shouldn't stop our leaders from giving the good, honest, hard-working police officers the right policies that will support them and really protect the community.

I'm sick of just watching the news placate tragedy after tragedy and never discuss what needs to be done to lessen the number of tragedies.

And by the way, gun control has nothing to do with fixing this totally jacked up system.

The discussion of gun control in terms of mass killings is fine. But police brutality, and the system that leads to it, is not affected by the guns. In my opinion.

Quote:This is reactionary, and I can't even say I blame people for thinking this way. But you are escalating the situation rather than resolving it. Cops may seem like the oppressors, but in reality they are byproducts of a system that is threatening them increasingly (just the same as Black men feel threatened, Cops do as well). Attacking the cops doesn't change the system, but it will change the enforcer i.e. clear the way for martial law. I wish MLK Jr was alive. He is needed now more than ever.

Oh i agree with you. An eye for eye never fixes the problem... We do need more people active in communities but not only that but active in law enforcement as well.. This cant continue...

Quote:This, in my eyes, is the most dog gone frustrating thing about this issue.

It's clear the system is broken, and there are obvious ways that everyone can see. But our ejected officials just want to maintain the status quo after each episode that occurs.

The lack of leadership, and lack of intestinal fortitude, by our elected officials is unacceptable.

And the media doesn't help. We've been suffering through this nightmare for a long enough time where grieving and moving on is no longer acceptable.

It's time for people to start implementing solutions. You can't stop racism. And there will always be terrible cops that slip into a uniform. But that shouldn't stop our leaders from giving the good, honest, hard-working police officers the right policies that will support them and really protect the community.

I'm sick of just watching the news placate tragedy after tragedy and never discuss what needs to be done to lessen the number of tragedies.

And by the way, gun control has nothing to do with fixing this totally jacked up system.

The discussion of gun control in terms of mass killings is fine. But police brutality, and the system that leads to it, is not affected by the guns. In my opinion.

Agree... it seems the majority is who suffers for the sins of the few.  And that's not right.  We're in desperate need of perspective and leadership.

There are people out there who are actually happy about this, like some kind of justice was served.  Pretty discouraging.

Rest in peace to the officers of the Dallas police department who lost their lives. Prayers to the other officers and civilians who were wounded in the attack for a speedy recovery.

Anyone who condones this attack on police officers are sick and evil human beings.
Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

Quote:I agree with the first point, and decriminalization of pot is long overdue.

As for the militarization of the police departments, the Dallas sniper lost his life to a bomb-delivering robot. I can't, right now, agree with giving police departments less sophisticated tools for killing bad people.

If you're going to increase the barriers to employment by the police force, you're going to have to pay them more, which brings us to your 3rd point about reducing the profit motive:

If you want better police, and need to pay them more, you'll have to pay more in taxes or reduce services in another area of your government. Which do you prefer?

As this is my first post in this topic, I'd also like to say that what the gunman did is completely reprehensible and evil, and is own fault, not the fault of the president, the police, the NRA, or Black Lives Matter movement.

I hear ya, about the militarization concern. However, I think that when you are given a whole bunch of really expensive hammers that are really cool to use, everything looks like a nail that needs pummeling.

You mention that robot, you don't think that there were other ways to get this guy without an awesome gadget and bomb? If the story is true, they had him pinned in and pretty much stopped from killing. Having a slow moving robot with a huge bomb go off, while very cool if it was in a movie setting gives me pause. It's my opinion that police should be police, not the marines.

As for the costs, you may very well be right that taxes may go up, but I wonder, if the war on drugs ends, how much cost savings would a state have by not having so many drug criminals to house... at the end of the day, certain sacrifices will need to be made for a better society. An increase in property tax, or income tax even, to fix a system that is cancerous to the welfare of the society is with it, in my opinion.

But like I said there may very well be offsets you are not considering.

Less officers, but more pay for the ones that are working may result in a zero effect.

Ceasing the purchase of highly expensive military equipment may offset the removal of ticket quotas.

And no longer housing drug users as criminals will save alot of money in cities as well.

That's my thoughts on it...

(This post was last modified: 07-08-2016, 10:12 AM by Ringo.)

And the divide just widened.

As someone stated, the cops are going to be even more on edge. Then one wonders if they'll profile? Who hates them more?

Cmon man. A peaceful rally, and some schmuck figures this action sends a clearer message?

Why do some lives matter more than others? Blue Lives, Black Lives?? Imo...it's a stupid, divisive slogan. It separates.
Blakes Life Matters