Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
At least three police officers killed by snipers during Dallas protest, chief says

Quote:I hear ya, about the militarization concern. However, I think that when you are given a whole bunch of really expensive hammers that are really cool to use, everything looks like a nail that needs pummeling.

You mention that robot, you don't think that there were other ways to get this guy without an awesome gadget and bomb? If the story is true, they had him pinned in and pretty much stopped from killing. Having a slow moving robot with a huge bomb go off, while very cool if it was in a movie setting gives me pause. It's my opinion that police should be police, not the marines.

As for the costs, you may very well be right that taxes may go up, but I wonder, if the war on drugs ends, how much cost savings would a state have by not having so many drug criminals to house... at the end of the day, certain sacrifices will need to be made for a better society. An increase in property tax, or income tax even, to fix a system that is cancerous to the welfare of the society is with it, in my opinion.

But like I said there may very well be offsets you are not considering.

Less officers, but more pay for the ones that are working may result in a zero effect.

Ceasing the purchase of highly expensive military equipment may offset the removal of ticket quotas.

And no longer housing drug users as criminals will save alot of money in cities as well.

That's my thoughts on it...

To offset these cost legalize marijuana...

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:There may have not only been snipers, as it's been reported at least one was shot at point blank range.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Man-Wit...78931.html

This is concerning as well now. Dallas PD reporting just one shooter, witnesses saying there were multiple shooters. A tactic to try to calm people?

The shooter in the garage initially said something like "This is just the beginning" and there were bombs in the city. Now he was working alone?

IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

The article I read said police were attacked by multiple shooters in a coordinated attack.

Quote:The Dallas police chief says it was one sniper who said he was upset over the recent police shootings and was targeting white people, especially white police officers. The sniper was killed by a robot armed with a bomb.
A high profile shooting in Dallas with conflicting accounts about the assassin(s).

How poetic that the first shots of the war happen like this. It's not a race war, btw.

Quote:A high profile shooting in Dallas with conflicting accounts about the assassin(s).

How poetic that the first shots of the war happen like this. It's not a race war, btw.

What is it?

Former Congressman calls for race war then deletes tweet.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com...nt=safari#
Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

Quote:What is it?

It's a class war, the political class vs the People. The same as it's always been.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:It's a class war, the political class vs the People. The same as it's always been.
Bingo. This time, the two sides will be shooting each other. That's the only difference.

Quote:It's a class war, the political class vs the People. The same as it's always been.

Which side are you on? 

Quote:Which side are you on?

Lol..

Quote:I hear ya, about the militarization concern. However, I think that when you are given a whole bunch of really expensive hammers that are really cool to use, everything looks like a nail that needs pummeling.

You mention that robot, you don't think that there were other ways to get this guy without an awesome gadget and bomb? If the story is true, they had him pinned in and pretty much stopped from killing. Having a slow moving robot with a huge bomb go off, while very cool if it was in a movie setting gives me pause. It's my opinion that police should be police, not the marines.

As for the costs, you may very well be right that taxes may go up, but I wonder, if the war on drugs ends, how much cost savings would a state have by not having so many drug criminals to house... at the end of the day, certain sacrifices will need to be made for a better society. An increase in property tax, or income tax even, to fix a system that is cancerous to the welfare of the society is with it, in my opinion.

But like I said there may very well be offsets you are not considering.

Less officers, but more pay for the ones that are working may result in a zero effect.

Ceasing the purchase of highly expensive military equipment may offset the removal of ticket quotas.

And no longer housing drug users as criminals will save alot of money in cities as well.

That's my thoughts on it...

If the cool gadget saved one innocent casualty (including K-9s), it's worth it.  Where you may have a point, is that expensive robot technology could be shared with the National Guard or a local military base, with interagency agreements to share the tool under circumstances like last night.  One of the talking heads on CNN said that the decision to go with the robot will be second guessed throughout the coming months, so here we go.

I DID say more pay, better qualified officers, but not less of them.  That will increase government expense, and there's no way to get around it.  I like the idea of decriminalizing marijuana and taxing it too, because it also reduces the cost of keeping people behind bars, as you mentioned.  Building prisons is expensive, and maybe if we build less of them we can pay our police officers better.

Quote:And the divide just widened.

As someone stated, the cops are going to be even more on edge. Then one wonders if they'll profile? Who hates them more?

Cmon man. A peaceful rally, and some schmuck figures this action sends a clearer message?

Why do some lives matter more than others? Blue Lives, Black Lives?? Imo...it's a stupid, divisive slogan. It separates.
Can't agree more.  Fight the hate, and division spreads hatred.

Second thing I've agreed with y on today.

The class war has been going on for a long time. The blacks have a larger amount of the violence as a race done to then, but at the end odd the day, it's the workers (which they've divided into republicans and democrats so that we are never fully organized) versus the ruling elite.

Quote:Second thing I've agreed with y on today.

The class war has been going on for a long time. The blacks have a larger amount of the violence as a race done to then, but at the end odd the day, it's the workers (which they've divided into republicans and democrats so that we are never fully organized) versus the ruling elite.

Signed, Karl Marx*

* I know none of us are communists, just a small joke to lighten things up. Heavy day.

Quote:Second thing I've agreed with y on today.

See? We're not that different.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:If the cool gadget saved one innocent casualty (including K-9s), it's worth it. Where you may have a point, is that expensive robot technology could be shared with the National Guard or a local military base, with interagency agreements to share the tool under circumstances like last night. One of the talking heads on CNN said that the decision to go with the robot will be second guessed throughout the coming months, so here we go.

I DID say more pay, better qualified officers, but not less of them. That will increase government expense, and there's no way to get around it. I like the idea of decriminalizing marijuana and taxing it too, because it also reduces the cost of keeping people behind bars, as you mentioned. Building prisons is expensive, and maybe if we build less of them we can pay our police officers better.

Can't agree more. Fight the hate, and division spreads hatred.

All fair points, with one exception... you are assuming that without the military equipment that a casualty would occur.

There's a distinct possibility that a well trained police mediator, given enough time for the stand off to occur, would have been able to get the killer to give himself up.

But when you have a chill gadget, who cares to negotiate?

I just think that we should take pause and realize that policing can occur with outcomes just as good, if not better, without militarizing officers.

To assume that only positive outcomes come via military tactics within our cities is not something I will ever accept as ok. It's part of the systemic failure of this particular institution, in my opinion.

Negotiate?

From what I heard they did.

(This post was last modified: 07-08-2016, 11:49 AM by realtorpat.)

If I was an african american community leader i would encourage african americans to become police officers so they would be more integrated into the police force.  Maybe that would help slowly lower tensions over time.  Obviously a black man does not trust a white police officer so maybe its time the burden of policing is put on more than predominately one race.

Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

Dallas Crisis actor ad on Craigslist has been removed but the Wayback Machine has a copy from yesterday:

https://web.archive.org/web/201607080542...93268.html

<span>crisis actors needed</span>

<p class="">compensation: <b>lunch + clothes + hope and change</b>

<div>

</div>
Needing reliable actors. MUST stay in character, must be ok with selling soul to some alphabet agency.

Wanna help give hope and change to amerikkka? and you can even get a free lunch!

Any medical, LEO, training is great. Costumes, vehicles, everything provided. Max confidentiality needed.

Quote:Negotiate?

From what I heard they did.

Yes, they did. However... If you got alternative weaponry or gadgets that can neutralize the killer, how much effort are you giving to the negotiations?

I think my point remains... I would prefer my police to be police, not an occupying army that treats citizens like an insurgency.

Quote:Yes, they did. However... If you got alternative weaponry or gadgets that can neutralize the killer, how much effort are you giving to the negotiations?

I think my point remains... I would prefer my police to be police, not an occupying army that treats citizens like an insurgency.

There comes a time where negotiations break down and other options are used. You can't be complacent and not be ready to take further action if negotiations fail.

Your point doesn't make sense in this situation.