Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: is it?..
Houston Texans
Indianapolis Colts
Jacksonville Jaguars
Tennessee Titans
[Show Results]

who will win the afc south division title in 2016..

Quote:I see the Colts as Andrew Luck and everyone else.  A bounce-back year will require having healthy starters around him. The defense certainly can't help much 

Good point about Aaron Colvin staying in shape. Under NFL rules he was allowed to participate in preseason games, but the coaches decided to keep him out.

Today,  the Colts are w/o 3 of their top primary Nickel Package DBs and two of their Defensive Lineman are out.  One of them ( Arthur Jones ) because of a suspension.   Even with all of their Defensive pieces in place,  the Colts Defense probably won't be a strength in most of their games.   Their passing game and Special Teams are going to have to carry them,  which is asking for plenty over the course of the long season.

Though Aaron Colvin was able to practice with the Jags before the week leading up to the regular season,  the long layoff is significant in terms of not only the rust factor but whether Colvin can avoid injury.  While the Jags have some depth at CB,  against teams that use 4 or more WRs,  Colvin's importance is that much greater.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The Colts defensive coaching staff is also an underrated group. Year in & year out, they're getting great "situational" performances out of nothing. 

They're still pretty young now as a team, with the pieces they lost & gained through FA/draft. Come Thanksgiving, they'll be contributing to Colts wins, just like they did last year & the year before. They most likely won't have a top defense stat wise, but when they need to make a play, they'll make a play. When they need a stop, they'll get a stop. 

Very underrated coaching staff, imo. 

ImATexan

How is a coach who everyone thought would get fired underrated?

Quote:The Colts defensive coaching staff is also an underrated group. Year in & year out, they're getting great "situational" performances out of nothing. 

They're still pretty young now as a team, with the pieces they lost & gained through FA/draft. Come Thanksgiving, they'll be contributing to Colts wins, just like they did last year & the year before. They most likely won't have a top defense stat wise, but when they need to make a play, they'll make a play. When they need a stop, they'll get a stop. 

Very underrated coaching staff, imo. 

The Colts Secondary was depleted by injury yesterday.   As much as I've seen an NFL Secondary depleted in a long time.    Former Jags S Winston Guy took over for 2nd Round pick backup S T.J. Green after the latter went down during the game.   Patrick Robinson,  the Colts only available CB who was with the team before the start of training camp,  also went down in the game.   One thing for sure,  the Colts Defensive Coaches weren't the reason they lost the game.   This is coming from the perspective of a Lions fan.

On the other hand,   both Jim Caldwell and Chuck Pagano made highly questionable time management decisions late in the game.   In Pagano's case,  I'm surprised but thrilled he didn't elect to force a kickoff return after Devin Taylor's illegal pile on penalty on the Colts go ahead PAT.   That saved the Lions several seconds of time and gave the Lions the ball at the 25 yard line.   Pagano is in a tough spot because of Jim Irsay's interference and the many mistakes of Ryan Grigson with Colts personnel moves.   Though he has hired good Assistant Coaches,  he opened up the door yesterday for criticism with the way he managed the game in crunch time. 

Quote:  The Colts Secondary was depleted by injury yesterday.   As much as I've seen an NFL Secondary depleted in a long time.    Former Jags S Winston Guy took over for 2nd Round pick backup S T.J. Green after the latter went down during the game.   Patrick Robinson,  the Colts only available CB who was with the team before the start of training camp,  also went down in the game.   One thing for sure,  the Colts Defensive Coaches weren't the reason they lost the game.   This is coming from the perspective of a Lions fan.

On the other hand,   both Jim Caldwell and Chuck Pagano made highly questionable time management decisions late in the game.   In Pagano's case,  I'm surprised but thrilled he didn't elect to force a kickoff return after Devin Taylor's illegal pile on penalty on the Colts go ahead PAT.   That saved the Lions several seconds of time and gave the Lions the ball at the 25 yard line.   Pagano is in a tough spot because of Jim Irsay's interference and the many mistakes of Ryan Grigson with Colts personnel moves.   Though he has hired good Assistant Coaches,  he opened up the door yesterday for criticism with the way he managed the game in crunch time. 

I would also add that Matt Stafford made some very good plays.  Yes it was bad defense but he moved very well in the pocket and bought time, handled the blitz well, and protected the ball.   On one of those TD's Mathis was about as close to a strip sack as you can be coming from behind the QB, Stafford got it out by the slimmest of margins.  I was somewhat doubtful of the Colts before yesterday, but with the way Luck played, and more importantly the way he didn't take many hits, they are going to be right there barring injury.  Luck who usually has some [BLEEP] plays, didn't seem to have any brain farts yesterday, If Luck is protected and gets that much time, and he doesn't have the hiccups he will absolutely kill.  Thats still an if but when he has times he can march down the field at 20 yd intervals.

Quote:I would also add that Matt Stafford made some very good plays.  Yes it was bad defense but he moved very well in the pocket and bought time, handled the blitz well, and protected the ball.   On one of those TD's Mathis was about as close to a strip sack as you can be coming from behind the QB, Stafford got it out by the slimmest of margins.  I was somewhat doubtful of the Colts before yesterday, but with the way Luck played, and more importantly the way he didn't take many hits, they are going to be right there barring injury.  Luck who usually has some [BAD WORD REMOVED] plays, didn't seem to have any brain [BAD WORD REMOVED] yesterday, If Luck is protected and gets that much time, and he doesn't have the hiccups he will absolutely kill.  Thats still an if but when he has times he can march down the field at 20 yd intervals.

Andrew Suck will not have that much time every week.

I think it's pretty clear that Houston and Jax are the top of the division. The question is, can Houston's offense click faster than Jax defense. I really think the division will be decided in the last 3 weeks of the season with Jax ending with 3 divisional games (2 away) and Houston having 2 divisional in the last 3 games (1 home, 1 away)

IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:I think it's pretty clear that Houston and Jax are the top of the division. The question is, can Houston's offense click faster than Jax defense. I really think the division will be decided in the last 3 weeks of the season with Jax ending with 3 divisional games (2 away) and Houston having 2 divisional in the last 3 games (1 home, 1 away)

Jaguars OL vs. Texans DL is the killer. If we don't win that battle, they can have a bad offense and win the game.

(This post was last modified: 09-12-2016, 03:32 PM by jradMITEX.)

Quote:I think it's pretty clear that Houston and Jax are the top of the division. The question is, can Houston's offense click faster than Jax defense. I really think the division will be decided in the last 3 weeks of the season with Jax ending with 3 divisional games (2 away) and Houston having 2 divisional in the last 3 games (1 home, 1 away)

How is it clear Jacksonville is at or near  the top?   Although they played close, they are 0-1 and coming off a 5-11 season.  How are they in a better position relatively than the Colts?  They have a lot to prove, especially over the first part of the season, not exactly but they really need to win the next game or its gonna be hard for them to stay around .500,  Yes they played close to what is considered a good team, but they have not proven they can be consistent, particularly on the road.  This week would go along way, but they are going to be underdogs Sunday and that is a very long trip to SD

Quote:How is it clear Jacksonville is at or near the top? Although they played close, they are 0-1 and coming off a 5-11 season. How are they in a better position relatively than the Colts? They have a lot to prove, especially over the first part of the season, not exactly but they really need to win the next game or its gonna be hard for them to stay around .500, Yes they played close to what is considered a good team, but they have not proven they can be consistent, particularly on the road. This week would go along way, but they are going to be underdogs Sunday and that is a very long trip to Oakland.

Good thing our game is in San Diego then lol
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

I agree with you. Even though I wanted to cry after our tough loss yesterday, I think we will end either first or second in the division, with Texans being the other spot. I think our defense will click faster though. If they play how they played yesterday, we will be fine for the most part.

Quote:I would also add that Matt Stafford made some very good plays.  Yes it was bad defense but he moved very well in the pocket and bought time, handled the blitz well, and protected the ball.   On one of those TD's Mathis was about as close to a strip sack as you can be coming from behind the QB, Stafford got it out by the slimmest of margins.  I was somewhat doubtful of the Colts before yesterday, but with the way Luck played, and more importantly the way he didn't take many hits, they are going to be right there barring injury.  Luck who usually has some [BAD WORD REMOVED] plays, didn't seem to have any brain [BAD WORD REMOVED] yesterday, If Luck is protected and gets that much time, and he doesn't have the hiccups he will absolutely kill.  Thats still an if but when he has times he can march down the field at 20 yd intervals.

I was very pleased with Matthew Stafford's overall play yesterday.    All you can do is your best against the players you are going up against.  

Two plays in particular that Stafford  was pressured and somehow bought enough time in the pocket was the one to find Ameer Abdullah,  who made a good adjustment on the ball when low to the ground,   and ended up with a 1st Down around pretty deep in Colts territory.  I believe that was the play that Robert Mathis almost got the strip sack on.  ( Lions rookie LT Taylor Decker had a very good overall game except for that play and the false start on a running play on the Lions first 3rd QTR series of downs. )    The other play was the first play on the Lions final drive when the Colts blitzed,  Stafford escaped pressure,   and found Theo Riddick underneath for sizable first down gain.    

Andrew Luck reminds me a lot of a younger Aaron Rodgers,   who could be at least as good as Rodgers if he stays relatively healthy and makes the type of decisions he did yesterday.   Though Stafford made a couple of questionable decisions in the game,   I can't think of anything that Luck did wrong other than possibly helping avoid getting 3 passes deflected around the line of scrimmage.  Along the lines of what you mentioned,   If Luck and his Offensive Line builds on yesterday's performance,   even with the Colts Defensive problems,  especially with their current injury and suspension  ( Arthur Jones ) situations,   they are a dangerous team in any given week.     Though I believe the Texans are the team to beat in the AFC South,  with the Jaguars the likely 2nd place team,   it would be a big mistake to take the Colts lightly.  

Quote:Good thing our game is in San Diego then lol
Excuse me SD, LOL

Quote:How is a coach who everyone thought would get fired underrated?

Not their coach. Their defensive coaches. They get a lot out of the guys they're given. If they had the defensive rosters of the Jags or Titans, the Colts would be locks for top two teams in the league.
ImATexan

Quote:Not their coach. Their defensive coaches. They get a lot out of the guys they're given. If they had the defensive rosters of the Jags or Titans, the Colts would be locks for top two teams in the league.

Since when has Tennessee had a good defense?

Quote:Since when has Tennessee had a good defense?

They don't. Their defensive roster is still better than the Colts. 

ImATexan

Quote:They don't. Their defensive roster is still better than the Colts. 

That says a lot about how bad Indy's defense is.

Can I change my vote?

Quote:Since when has Tennessee had a good defense?

There are a lot of things I don't like about our defense, but they have only allowed one touchdown through two games. They are better than they were last season

Quote:There are a lot of things I don't like about our defense, but they have only allowed one touchdown through two games. They are better than they were last season

If Dick Lebeau wasn't already in the Pro Football HOF as a player,   I think he would belong in the HOF because of his work as an Assistant Coach.