Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Big Win for Women, Bad Day for Texas

Quote:There is mourning over the loss of a potential son or daughter, but it's not the same as the mourning over a person.

Normal people, meaning non conservatives -- I kid!! -- will feel much more pain and sorrow over the death of a baby that was born than over a miscarriage.

There's a reason why that is, whether conservatives want to believe it or not.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:There is mourning over the loss of a potential son or daughter, but it's not the same as the mourning over a person.

Agree, not the same, but there are variations of miscarriages just like there are abortions.  A miscarriage of a baby carried to fairly late term is devastating and exactly like losing a child already born.  I'm willing to even grant very early term abortions if that would mean abortions are illegal after 8-10 weeks.  But in FL for example it's allowed up to 24 weeks, and look at the picture of a 24 week old baby. It's DISGUSTING what's being done.

Quote:Has anyone attended a funeral for a fetus that died as a result of a miscarriage?

Yes, and we have annual remembrance days for him as well.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:But a miscarriage isn't a loss of a baby. A baby isn't a fetus. It was the kids of the potential of what could have been which is the sad part.

If anyone has had a baby, they'd know the difference.

Unfortunately, conservatives have decided to make something that is very personal a political topic.

Christ that's a load of [BAD WORD REMOVED].

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:Normal people, meaning non conservatives -- I kid!! -- will feel much more pain and sorrow over the death of a baby that was born than over a miscarriage.

What about the baby that was born during an abortion and still breathing? Any sorrow over that one?

Quote:What about the baby that was born during an abortion and still breathing? Any sorrow over that one?

Nah, mommy said he wasn't a person.

Quote:Agree, not the same, but there are variations of miscarriages just like there are abortions. A miscarriage of a baby carried to fairly late term is devastating and exactly like losing a child already born. I'm willing to even grant very early term abortions if that would mean abortions are illegal after 8-10 weeks. But in FL for example it's allowed up to 24 weeks, and look at the picture of a 24 week old baby. It's DISGUSTING what's being done.

Hey, lookie here, a rational well thought out position.

I agree that most abortions after 12 weeks should only be done within strict guidelines when the health of the mother is involved or that the baby is found to have a severe issue that the parents feel would greatly reduce the lack of quality of life.

Nobody is pro abortion, the loss of a potential life is a pretty sad situation, but a pregnancy that's with I the first 2 months is not a baby, and a woman or couple should have the right to terminate that pregnancy if they do choose.

Think there are compromises and common ground that can be reached. But reducing the availability to terminate a pregnancy does nothing to help get us to a compromise.

Quote:Is life precious and sacred, or isn't it? It's a simple question, jj...

Not sure why you have such a hard time answering such basic stuff...

Asked and answered sally.

Quote:Normal people, meaning non conservatives -- I kid!! -- will feel much more pain and sorrow over the death of a baby that was born than over a miscarriage.

As someone whose wife had multiple miscarriages, I can tell you without hesitation that you don't have a clue what you're talking about. The mourning over a child lost to miscarriage is no different, especially when it happens several times to a couple. The only difference is that pain is suffered in private among those directly involved.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

1.) great post fbt

2.) notice how the left screams science while just talking about their feelings?

Quote:Has anyone attended a funeral for a fetus that died as a result of a miscarriage?
Like someone else already answered, I have. I've also participated in annual memorials for children list to miscarriage. You'd be hard pressed to get a single person to call them a fetus.

Quote:Is life precious and sacred, or isn't it? It's a simple question, jj...

Not sure why you have such a hard time answering such basic stuff...
All life is precious and sacred, whether born or not. Not difficult to answer at all.

Suppose your spouse or significant other was pregnant, and during her pregnancy she was assaulted and the end result was losing the baby. I suppose you wouldn't care because in your world personhood hadn't been established, so nothing but a clump of cells was lost, right?
Sorry, but I don't recall mourning a potential son or daughter. There was no potential there. Especially after seeing the sonograms. The mourning was real, and the loss was devastating enough to where my wife gave up on having another child. We consider our daughter, the only child we were able to carry to birth a miracle.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:1.) great post fbt

2.) notice how the left screams science while just talking about their feelings?

The tune changes when it happens to them.

Quote:As someone whose wife had multiple miscarriages, I can tell you without hesitation that you don't have a clue what you're talking about. The mourning over a child lost to miscarriage is no different, especially when it happens several times to a couple. The only difference is that pain is suffered in private among those directly involved.

Agree. I think you may have overstepped a bit with the statement FBT replied to, Anch. Although this is only exemplifies why I think men should, for the most part, stay out of discussions on the topic of abortion unless it directly affects them. Hell, I think that way about most "issues" but this one especially seems to scream "Not my area of expertise."

Edit: To clarify, I don't know nor can I begin fathom the set of what I can only hope are dire circumstances that would cause a woman to seriously contemplate (much less go through with) an abortion. I think there is substantial misrepresentation on both sides. On the one hand, you have people envisioning women of questionable virtue skipping gleefully down to PP after every tryst for one which isn't true. On the other, you have people assuming every possible abortion is only in the direst of circumstances and that isn't true either.

On a somewhat related note, I wonder just how many "unwanted" children there are in the system currently. Additionally, how many of these unwanted children never make it out of the system and what kind of adults to these children grow up to become. I can't help but wonder how much different my life would have been if I had been born to a woman who wasn't equipped to raise me (or worse, who didn't want me) and/or if I were a product of the system. I dunno, but it seems like that life would really, really suck. Luckily, I didn't have any of those problems.

<i>Behold man's final mad disgrace.</i>

<i>He chops his nose to spite his face.</i>

-Etrigan the Demon

Quote:As someone whose wife had multiple miscarriages, I can tell you without hesitation that you don't have a clue what you're talking about. The mourning over a child lost to miscarriage is no different, especially when it happens several times to a couple. The only difference is that pain is suffered in private among those directly involved.

Sorry for the difficulty you and your wife went through. It must have been tough on both of you.

But, it seems like you didn't read my post, because in fact, I do have a clue.

Quote:Sorry for the difficulty you and your wife went through. It must have been tough on both of you.

But, it seems like you didn't read my post, because in fact, I do have a clue.

Really?  What did I miss below?

I see nothing here that indicates you have any sort of clue here. Tap dance any way you see fit.  You've made it clear that people feel much more pain and sorrow over the death of a baby that was born over a miscarriage.  I debunked your point.  The pain and loss is the same regardless.  To say otherwise is clueless. 

Quote:Like someone else already answered, I have. I've also participated in annual memorials for children list to miscarriage. You'd be hard pressed to get a single person to call them a fetus.

All life is precious and sacred, whether born or not. Not difficult to answer at all.

Suppose your spouse or significant other was pregnant, and during her pregnancy she was assaulted and the end result was losing the baby. I suppose you wouldn't care because in your world personhood hadn't been established, so nothing but a clump of cells was lost, right?

Sorry, but I don't recall mourning a potential son or daughter. There was no potential there. Especially after seeing the sonograms. The mourning was real, and the loss was devastating enough to where my wife gave up on having another child. We consider our daughter, the only child we were able to carry to birth a miracle.

So because all life is precious, you also advocate for universal health care, correct?

Your experience with miscarriage is your experience.

The loss of a potential baby being born and going through life is a difficult one.

How a family grieves over that potential is personal.

Still doesn't change the facts that it's a potential life in the eyes of our society, many metaphysical books, and our laws.

Also, you are the master of the bait and switch argument. I have spent many pages of this thread explaining that the loss of the potential life is devastating. But please, demonize me as a callous guy that just sees the fetus as a clump of tissue. I never said that, but you love to create your straw men to attack and make the target of vitriol.

How bout just trying to have a discussion without taking it so personally?

Quote:Really? What did I miss below?

I see nothing here that indicates you have any sort of clue here. Tap dance any way you see fit. You've made it clear that people feel much more pain and sorrow over the death of a baby that was born over a miscarriage. I debunked your point. The pain and loss is the same regardless. To say otherwise is clueless.

Lol, yeah... you quoted a post that has nothing to do with miscarriages... I posted something about that and my very close experience with them.

Quote:So because all life is precious, you also advocate for universal health care, correct?

Your experience with miscarriage is your experience.

The loss of a potential baby being born and going through life is a difficult one.

How a family grieves over that potential is personal.

Still doesn't change the facts that it's a potential life in the eyes of our society, many metaphysical books, and our laws.

Also, you are the master of the bait and switch argument. I have spent many pages of this thread explaining that the loss of the potential life is devastating. But please, demonize me as a callous guy that just sees the fetus as a clump of tissue. I never said that, but you love to create your straw men to attack and make the target of vitriol.

How bout just trying to have a discussion without taking it so personally?

No, I don't advocate for universal healthcare.  That doesn't diminish life, but I know you need to grasp for any straw that will marginalize those who don't bow down and lick the boots of the pro death movement. 

It's not a "potential baby" but once again, marginalizing the innocent is really the only tactic you've got in the arsenal here.

Since dismissing a child as a potential baby is your best approach, riddle me this.  Why are there cases where the death of an unborn child by the hands of someone else lead to charges for that death?  Why would someone be charged with murder of a potential baby that has no humanity in your world?  Even the most liberal of states like California have laws on the books protecting the life of an unborn child (not a potential child) in the event of death by violent acts.  If you look at the laws on the books in the nearly 40 states that have them, they certainly afford "personhood" to unborn babies in these instances.

Truth hurts, huh?

I know, bringing personal experience and facts into a debate is the LAST thing someone like you wants to deal with. 

Quote:Lol, yeah... you quoted a post that has nothing to do with miscarriages... I posted something about that and my very close experience with them.

Really?  I quoted a post that has nothing to do with miscarriages?

Keep on spinning it. 

BTW, what is the reason why that is, since apparently as a conservative, I don't want to believe that?  Why is it that, in your opinion, people don't mourn a miscarriage the same way?  I'm on pins and needles to read your response.

Quote:Yawn.

You said life is sacred. Yet you do not wish for citizens within the society to have universal access to basic healthcare services.

You're response is to make a pretentious argument about our soldiers and the va. Lame. I'm sorry, but your argument is not logical. The argument that the administrative execution of an organization is not perfect should be the reason people don't deserve healthcare is dumb.

Life is either precious, or it isn't. Which one is it, jj?
Can you point out more than a few isolated examples where people are denied medical assistance because they don't have insurance?