Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Kansas Tried Tax Cuts. Its Neighbor Didn't. Guess Which Worked.

Just wanted to get everyone's input on this.  I'm pretty sure everyone know's my position on this.  But I want to make sure that everyone also understands that based on the tax cuts that the good Governor rammed down the throats of the hard working Kansians, they now also have a school budget fiasco that needs to be addressed....  

Here's the link:  https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/...ich-worked

<p style="color:rgb(51,51,64);font-family:Tiempos, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:17px;">Kansas has lagged Nebraska in job creation since 2011, and the gap has widened since late 2014. Instead of adding the 25,000 jobs a year that Brownback promised, Kansas actually lost 5,400 jobs over the 12 months ending in February.

<p style="color:rgb(51,51,64);font-family:Tiempos, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:17px;">This doesn't look great for Kansas. The overall gap is only slightly smaller, and the growing divergence in performance since 2014 is still apparent. That could be because a higher percentage of Kansans than Nebraskans work in manufacturing, and the current global economic slowdown has been tough on manufacturers. Again, Nebraska isn't a perfect comparison. But overall, while I think it's too early to label the Kansas experiment a failure, it hasn't delivered impressive results on the job front.

Then again, how could any reasonable person have expected that it would? When Brownback took over, Kansas was a state with a below-average tax burden in a part of the country that wasn't growing very fast. The Midwest remains the region of the U.S. with the slowest 5-year population growth, according to the Census Bureau. The tax cuts may eventually knock Kansas a few rungs down in the tax rankings (the most recent data available is from 2012), but by themselves they're not going to turn it into Texas -- a fast-growing, low-tax state that Brownback has often named as an economic model. In the meantime, the damage being inflicted on the state's educational system may begin to exercise an economic drag of its own. Tax rates matter, but so do lots of other things.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Kansas gutted itself.

Quote:Kansas gutted itself.

Results matter

I don't know enough to have an opinion on Kansas and what's working what's not.

The reality is there's a Balance that has to be maintained. Job growth doesn't come from government action, government doesn't ever create wealth it just transfers wealth so to see what's really going on youd have to examine more than just tax rates and job growth. What kind of regulations are in place, isn't most of Kansas farm land? Naturally there isn't job growth in agriculture states, not every state is going to be a new York or Texas. To really see how well tax rates might be working you'd have to look closer at how the residents are doing now compared to before. Most Democrats focus on education but how much of that population is in private education or homeschooled? Ultimately id rather error government not doing enough than doing to much.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

There are so many things at work with economics that correlation doesn't always mean causation when it comes to one particular issue. I would like to see more about it before making that judgment call. Ex: I live in WV and people get taxed pretty hard on property, income, etc. Job growth is non existent because there is way more at work than just tax rates. 

(This post was last modified: 06-25-2016, 11:37 PM by pirkster.)

Tax cuts historically spur investment and add employees to the tax rolls, this is fact.

However, if jobs are leaving and not enough are created to bridge them, that's a void that's difficult to gap.

Thus, is the story of the US since NAFTA, except for the foreign companies like Toyota and Honda who have created non-union jobs in southern states to replace some of those lost to those American companies who have chosen to employ outside the CONUS.

For every one band aid, two more wounds open in this current recession.  Yet another exposure of this "recovery" myth.

The labor participation rate and declining GDP tell the bigger picture.  We're being sold a fraudulent view of reality, again.  Again.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(This post was last modified: 06-27-2016, 10:41 AM by jj82284.)

Top marginal rates went from a whopping 6.5 and 6.25 % to.... 4.9 %

Bottom rate went from 3.5%.... To 3%

That's the end of the world? That caused a meltdown? Seriously? There's a reason the actual tax plan is omitted in all the articles decrying tax cuts as the fruit of Satan.

8 years... 0% effective interest rayes... The gov now spends 43 cents of every dollar. 10 million plus more people on food stamps. 10 million plus more in poverty... 10 trillion dollars in new debt that is growing faster than the economy...

Quote:There are so many things at work with economics that correlation doesn't always mean causation when it comes to one particular issue. I would like to see more about it before making that judgment call. Ex: I live in WV and people get taxed pretty hard on property, income, etc. Job growth is non existent because there is way more at work than just tax rates.

I'm a WV resident. I completely agree with your statement. Property and Income taxes really hit most of us hard (sickens me every year). Very high taxes,, but no job growth or opportunity.

As you said, so many things are at work with economics.

Quote:Just wanted to get everyone's input on this.  I'm pretty sure everyone know's my position on this.  But I want to make sure that everyone also understands that based on the tax cuts that the good Governor rammed down the throats of the hard working Kansians, they now also have a school budget fiasco that needs to be addressed....  

Here's the link:  https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/...ich-worked

<p style="color:rgb(51,51,64);font-family:Tiempos, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:17px;">Kansas has lagged Nebraska in job creation since 2011, and the gap has widened since late 2014. Instead of adding the 25,000 jobs a year that Brownback promised, Kansas actually lost 5,400 jobs over the 12 months ending in February.

<p style="color:rgb(51,51,64);font-family:Tiempos, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;font-size:17px;">This doesn't look great for Kansas. The overall gap is only slightly smaller, and the growing divergence in performance since 2014 is still apparent. That could be because a higher percentage of Kansans than Nebraskans work in manufacturing, and the current global economic slowdown has been tough on manufacturers. Again, Nebraska isn't a perfect comparison. But overall, while I think it's too early to label the Kansas experiment a failure, it hasn't delivered impressive results on the job front.

Then again, how could any reasonable person have expected that it would? When Brownback took over, Kansas was a state with a below-average tax burden in a part of the country that wasn't growing very fast. The Midwest remains the region of the U.S. with the slowest 5-year population growth, according to the Census Bureau. The tax cuts may eventually knock Kansas a few rungs down in the tax rankings (the most recent data available is from 2012), but by themselves they're not going to turn it into Texas -- a fast-growing, low-tax state that Brownback has often named as an economic model. In the meantime, the damage being inflicted on the state's educational system may begin to exercise an economic drag of its own. Tax rates matter, but so do lots of other things.
This is not a good time to be a rural manufacturing state. Unless you have basically no corporate tax rate you won't out compete Texas or even Ga. Nafta going away would help, but it takes years. The US economy overall has not been good since '06. Its a palpable difference. Yes it is better now than 2009, but today is not better than 10 years ago. Sometimes it feels like a dog eat dog world.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Quote:Tax cuts historically spur investment and add employees to the tax rolls, this is fact.

However, if jobs are leaving and not enough are created to bridge them, that's a void that's difficult to gap.

Thus, is the story of the US since NAFTA, except for the foreign companies like Toyota and Honda who have created non-union jobs in southern states to replace some of those lost to those American companies who have chosen to employ outside the CONUS.

For every one band aid, two more wounds open in this current recession.  Yet another exposure of this "recovery" myth.

The labor participation rate and declining GDP tell the bigger picture.  We're being sold a fraudulent view of reality, again.  Again.

I'm confused. So the answer is to get rid of NAFTA and then what?

Quote:Top marginal rates went from a whopping 6.5 and 6.25 % to.... 4.9 %

Bottom rate went from 3.5%.... To 3%

That's the end of the world? That caused a meltdown? Seriously? There's a reason the actual tax plan is omitted in all the articles decrying tax cuts as the fruit of Satan.

8 years... 0% effective interest rayes... The gov now spends 43 cents of every dollar. 10 million plus more people on food stamps. 10 million plus more in poverty... 10 trillion dollars in new debt that is growing faster than the economy...
The governor of Kansas is said to have cried during a boardroom meeting in which he was eviscerated by Republican lawmakers for destroying the state. Please, try and make this the Democrats' fault.

I don't understand it all but I have some friends who live in Kansas and they said it's all going to hell. They have 3 kids in school and the wife is not happy with the education bit. The husband is an engineer who was let go from one job but thankfully was able to get another one pretty quick but that's because he knows people. They are not happy at all with how things are going there that's all I know.