Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Single Payer in the US

The one single payer health care system in the US is the VA hospital and clinic network. Several years ago, it was discovered that around a thousand veterans died because they were forced to wait too long for medical care, while documents stating wait times were falsified. Not one government official was jailed or fined, and only a handful were even relieved of their jobs, typically with a fat retirement bonus.

By now this should have been fixed, but there's still corruption in the ranks. Of course based on the proposed "recommendations," once again no one will be jailed, or this time even fired.

And some of you want to give the bureaucracy even more power?

http://www.va.gov/oig/pubs/VAOIG-15-03073-275.pdf

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Single payer would be the worse possible thing to happen to the American healthcare system. That said what we have now with mandatory participation and state sponsored private policies is almost just as bad.

Once we removed the threat of non-participation and eliminated the need for cost control through state subsides we lost all price control points on healthcare. The cost is going go up rapidly over the next few years and I'm sure that's by design to push us into single payer.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Trump will fix the VA.

Your right we need a public option
And cause I was a gazillionaire, and I liked doin it so much, I cut that grass for free.

(This post was last modified: 06-22-2016, 10:07 PM by rollerjag.)

Quote:Trump will fix the VA.

Sure he will, with a last minute donation previously promised but not received until light is shed upon the situation.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Just like Obama was going to fix racism, unequal pay, foreign interventionism and our broken healthcare system?

See this is the problem with Trump supporters you guys have faith that a man elected to office is going to "fix" stuff, but the problem is that office can't "fix" stuff it can only make it worse. Government IS the problem, that was the argument of the republican party at one point, but somewhere along the way they became just another version of government trying to "fix" stuff.

Donald Trump can't "fix" the VA it's the reality that government runs the VA that causes it to be so woefully inefficient. To my knowledge Trump has never talked about privatizing the VA only that he will find people to run it better. And that's the crux of my problem with Trumps campaign, it's not about reducing government it's about changing how its done. We don't need to change the dress on the pig, we need to shoot it between the eyes and start chopping away at the pork. 

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

The VA as a whole is not broke. There are small pools of regional issues. I'm not sure where the disconnect is or why there are these inconsistencies. I use the VA and it has been outstanding. In my experience it is far better than the care I was receiving while active and on par with and sometimes exceeding what I've experienced with civilian care.

[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

Quote:Just like Obama was going to fix racism, unequal pay, foreign interventionism and our broken healthcare system?

See this is the problem with Trump supporters you guys have faith that a man elected to office is going to "fix" stuff, but the problem is that office can't "fix" stuff it can only make it worse. Government IS the problem, that was the argument of the republican party at one point, but somewhere along the way they became just another version of government trying to "fix" stuff.

Donald Trump can't "fix" the VA it's the reality that government runs the VA that causes it to be so woefully inefficient. To my knowledge Trump has never talked about privatizing the VA only that he will find people to run it better. And that's the crux of my problem with Trumps campaign, it's not about reducing government it's about changing how its done. We don't need to change the dress on the pig, we need to shoot it between the eyes and start chopping away at the pork.

He has stated that at a minimum Vets will have the option to go to a private doctor.

Also, no one is expecting perfection. We are expecting people who falsify documents to cover their rear to be fired. Any public union official that stands in the way should be shamed into resignation.

You're right, private entities inherently allocate resources more efficiently than government entities. Trumps candidacy is based on the idea of having the roles the state has to perform more closely mirror that of a private entity and thus become more efficient.

Trump has been involved in turning around failed public projects based on that thought process. Has talked about the case studies that he did at warten ov public vs. Private projects.

Quote:He has stated that at a minimum Vets will have the option to go to a private doctor.

Also, no one is expecting perfection. We are expecting people who falsify documents to cover their rear to be fired. Any public union official that stands in the way should be shamed into resignation.

You're right, private entities inherently allocate resources more efficiently than government entities. Trumps candidacy is based on the idea of having the roles the state has to perform more closely mirror that of a private entity and thus become more efficient.

Trump has been involved in turning around failed public projects based on that thought process. Has talked about the case studies that he did at warten ov public vs. Private projects.

A few comments:

After the original VA debacle came to light in 2014, congress passed a law allowing veterans to go to a private doctor. Each veteran would receive a debit card to cover the cost. After two years the government still hasn't distributed all of the debit cards (government!). They claim the vetting process is the hold up. Aren't the Syrian terrorists refugees supposed to be vetted in just three months?

I expect people who falsify documents that cover up deaths to be jailed, not just fired. But government!

Private entities allocate resources more efficiently when they have competition. Businesses that have effective monopolies stagnate just like government agencies. Since most government functions are monopolies, the business model won't help make government more efficient.

What failed public projects has Trump turned around? Please name one.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

I'm gonna fix the VA. I'm gonna make the best VA you've ever seen, I can promise you that.

;

;

I've essentially been my own doctor for many years.  It has worked out well.  I tend to avoid standard clinical practices, which are often based on profitability.  Many simple and effective treatments have been abandoned as unprofitable. 

For instance, many of us develop GERD (acid reflux) as we age.  It manifests as pain in the esophagus or chest.  The standard treatments are Histamine-2 blockers (temporary acid blockers) and proton pump inhibitors (longer term acid blockers).  But if you examine the actual mechanism causing the issue, it is the LACK of stomach acid.  The lower esophageal sphincter at the top of the stomach keeps the powerful stomach acids from entering the esophagus, but if the acid level in the stomach is reduced (which happens gradually via aging), the sphincter tends to relax, allowing acid into the esophagus.

My answer was therefore simple.  Add more stomach acid.  I take a Hydrochloric Acid supplement with meals which costs me about $25 a year.  The supplement also includes Pepsin, a protein-digesting enzyme.  I have no reflux, no pain, and no huge expense.  No doctor visit.  No prescription drugs.  Most importantly, I am maintaining proper acid levels in the stomach, allowing the stomach to do its job.  Anyone suppressing stomach acids for relief of GERD will likely develop more serious problems down the road because they are passing unprocessed stomach contents (bolus) to the small intestine. 

Quote:A few comments:

After the original VA debacle came to light in 2014, congress passed a law allowing veterans to go to a private doctor. Each veteran would receive a debit card to cover the cost. After two years the government still hasn't distributed all of the debit cards (government!). They claim the vetting process is the hold up. Aren't the Syrian <del>terrorists</del> refugees supposed to be vetted in just three months?

I expect people who falsify documents that cover up deaths to be jailed, not just fired. But government!

Private entities allocate resources more efficiently when they have competition. Businesses that have effective monopolies stagnate just like government agencies. Since most government functions are monopolies, the business model won't help make government more efficient.

What failed public projects has Trump turned around? Please name one.
<a class="bbc_url" href='https://youtu.be/IWk27WHHH2w'>https://youtu.be/IWk27WHHH2w</a>

Listen to him talk about them