Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Trump bans the Post?

Quote:Honestly, we should be in FEMA camps for our crimes against humanity.

Meanwhile, Trump is polling higher with blacks and Hispanics than McCain or Romney ever did...

Lol, are you sure about trumps polling? The dude is falling like a poop stained, racist-lead balloon...

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Lol, are you sure about trumps polling? The dude is falling like a poop stained, racist-lead balloon...

From the biased media. GUFFAW!

;

;

Quote:As conservatives, you all should know that the founding fathers were adamant that a free press was a major pillar in maintaining the republic.

9 out of 10 journalist vote Democrat and the large majority of news outlets who endorse end up endorsing Democrats. Free press? Hearty chuckle. Partisan and bias press is a better description.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015...scarcity-/

Quote:9 out of 10 journalist vote Democrat and the large majority of news outlets who endorse end up endorsing Democrats. Free press? Hearty chuckle. Partisan and bias press is a better description.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/nov/8/republicans-media-bias-claims-boosted-by-scarcity-/'>http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/nov/8/republicans-media-bias-claims-boosted-by-scarcity-/</a>

Do journalists have editorial power as to what is to be covered and what will be printed?

Quote:Do journalists have editorial power as to what is to be covered and what will be printed?

Yes, actually. I was listening to Hugh Hewitt this morning talking about how he had to argue with a WaPo manager to get his story published because it wasn't anti-Trump enough.

Quote:Yes, actually. I was listening to Hugh Hewitt this morning talking about how he had to argue with a WaPo manager to get his story published because it wasn't anti-Trump enough.

Having to argue to get your story published is proof of editorial power in what way, specifically?

Editorial power, to me, would mean that no questions would be asked regarding what you are writing and what slant your article may or may not be leaning towards... wouldn't you agree?

Quote:Having to argue to get your story published is proof of editorial power in what way, specifically?

Editorial power, to me, would mean that no questions would be asked regarding what you are writing and what slant your article may or may not be leaning towards... wouldn't you agree?

Its proof that the editorials control what gets published, meaning the managers can set the agenda. How is that not power?

If a journalist wants his articles to get published, and the managers are left-leaning, he gets them passed by slanting towards the left. This also means that left-leaning journalist are more likely to find work over right-leaning journalist. Editorial managers are typically journalist. 9 out of 10 journalist are Democrats. Is this not clear?

(This post was last modified: 06-16-2016, 01:55 PM by The_Anchorman.)

We are speaking specifically about journalists.

Journalists do not have editorial power, as was my question to you.

Your term, managers, on the other hand are not journalists and do have editorial power.

The so called managers work specifically at the pleasure and discretion of the owners of the media organizations in question...

Would you agree with that?

Quote:We are speaking specifically about journalists.

Journalists do not have editorial power, as was my question to you.

Your term, managers, on the other hand are not journalists and do have editorial power.

The so called managers work specifically at the pleasure and discretion of the owners of the media organizations in question...

Would you agree with that?

Journalist don't have much power, as I pointed out. Hugh Hewitt had to argue with the manager to get his story published. Journalists, 9 out of 10 who are Democrats, eventually get promoted to managers.

I don't know how you can imply that journalist managers were not previously journalists of some type in the journalistic field. There isn't much content on this topic, but the following article implies that journalists do make their way to becoming editors and managers. http://ajr.org/2014/05/21/develop-newsroom-editors/

"So journalists of all stripes find themselves tossed into the management role without being prepared for its manifold demands."

As for managers working at the discretion of the owners, I think that depends. Bezos obviously has beef with Trump and it shows with the obvious bias of the Washington Post. However Rupert Murdoch is a Hillary Clinton supporter and donor, but (sort of) lets Fox treat Trump favorably.

The point is, a journalist may eventually become an editor by way of a promotion, correct?

But journalists are not editors. Journalists are told what news story they are assigned to and are (for the most part) not I'v the position to determine whether their work will be printed. Do you agree?

It's the editor's responsibility to handle what is printed and what isn't. Correct?

Quote:The point is, a journalist may eventually become an editor by way of a promotion, correct?

But journalists are not editors. Journalists are told what news story they are assigned to and are (for the most part) not I'v the position to determine whether their work will be printed. Do you agree?

It's the editor's responsibility to handle what is printed and what isn't. Correct?

Correct, as far as I know, editor is a different position. I don't work in the industry, but I don't see why Journalist can't become editors, or vice versa. I do know many editor-in-chiefs are also journalists, though. One such person off the top of my head is Ben Shapiro, who both wrote articles for Breitbart and the Daily Wire as well as being the editor-in-chief for both.

Editor in chief description (per wiki)

The editor-in-chief heads all the departments of the organization and is held accountable for delegating tasks to staff members and managing them. The term is often used at newspapers, magazines, yearbooks, and <a class="" href='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_news' title="Television news">television news</a> programs.

The term is also applied to <a class="" href='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_journals' title="Academic journals">academic journals</a>, where the editor-in-chief ultimately decides whether a submitted manuscript will be published. This decision is made by the editor-in-chief after seeking input from reviewers selected on a basis of relevant expertise.

Typical responsibilities of editors-in-chief include:<sup>[3]</sup>
  • <a class="" href='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fact_checking' title="Fact checking">Fact checking</a>, spelling, grammar, writing style, page design and photos
  • Rejecting writing that appears to be plagiarized, <a class="" href='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost-written' title="Ghost-written">ghost-written</a>, published elsewhere, or of little interest to readers
  • Editing content
  • Contributing editorial pieces
  • Motivating and developing editorial staff
  • Ensuring the final draft is complete and there are no omissions
  • Handling reader complaints and taking responsibility for issues after publication
  • For books or journals, cross-checking citations and examining references

(This post was last modified: 06-16-2016, 04:20 PM by The_Anchorman.)

Cool. So I think we agree.

Okay,this was just my long winded way to get to this point,

No matter what the political leanings of the journalist, the editor is king... and the editor has his short hairs firmly clinched by the owner(s) of the news outlet.

And I would submit to you that the majority of news outlets are owned by fiscally conservative and fiscally libertarian folks.

Yes, there are some magazines that are fiscally progressive, but they are few and far between.

Your thoughts?

So now we know titles and job responsibilities at a news organization.

It doesn't change the fact that Donald Trump will ban any news organization if they aren't "nice" to him.  The man continues to play the Trumpettes like a fiddle.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:Cool. So I think we agree.

Okay,this was just my long winded way to get to this point,

No matter what the political leanings of the journalist, the editor is king... and the editor has his short hairs firmly clinched by the owner(s) of the news outlet.

And I would submit to you that the majority of news outlets are owned by fiscally conservative and fiscally libertarian folks.

Yes, there are some magazines that are fiscally progressive, but they are few and far between.

Your thoughts?

I suggest to you that you provide a source claiming news outlets are owned by the fiscally conservative and libertarians. Hillary Clinton is certainly neither, yet Rupert Murdoch supports and donates to her.

I also wrote this previously:

"As for managers working at the discretion of the owners, I think that depends. Bezos obviously has beef with Trump and it shows with the obvious bias of the Washington Post. However Rupert Murdoch is a Hillary Clinton supporter and donor, but (sort of) lets Fox and the New York Post treat Trump favorably."

Owner involvement is variable it seems, though it may depend on how much a candidate may impact the business of the owner (In Bezos case, Trump threatened anti-Trust against Amazon). In Murdoch's case, Trump is great for business so he seems relatively hands-off.

It's pretty common knowledge that the msm is fiscally conservative.

While you may complain that the majority of journalists are democrats, nobody would argue that the management and ownership of the majority of news outlets are pro corporate, fiscally conservative outlets.

If you think I'm wrong, I'll ask you to pull out the section of your local newspaper, or any newspaper, and tell me how many pages are in the business section of the paper. Now find the workers, or labor section, and tell me how many pages are in that section....

I'll wait...

Quote:It's pretty common knowledge that the msm is fiscally conservative.

While you may complain that the majority of journalists are democrats, nobody would argue that the management and ownership of the majority of news outlets are pro corporate, fiscally conservative outlets.

If you think I'm wrong, I'll ask you to pull out the section of your local newspaper, or any newspaper, and tell me how many pages are in the business section of the paper. Now find the workers, or labor section, and tell me how many pages are in that section....

I'll wait...

The MSM is certainly not fiscally conservative, and I asked you provide a credible source proving it is.

I'll wait...

Quote:Journalists, 9 out of 10 who are Democrats, eventually get promoted to managers.

I can't wait to see your source backing this claim.

I don't know if you ever listen to WOKV here in Jacksonville, but can you tell me how many of the broadcast journalists are democrat or republican?  What about a familiar journalist that is both on the news and on the Opinion shows on the radio station?  That being Jamie Dupree.  While he's not a local broadcaster/journalist, he is featured on talk radio and does appear on stage at live events with mostly conservative Opinion journalists.

Take a look at FOX News and tell me if you can prove that say Bret Baier, Shepard Smith or even Megyn Kelly or Greta Van Susteren are either democrat or republican.

I can go on and on with other networks both local and national, and there is no real clear evidence of bias in their reporting.

Yes it's commonly known that many in media tend to lean left in their personal point of view, but the best and the ones that are successful tend to leave a question mark in people's minds and don't make their job(s) personal.  It wasn't known for decades that Walter Cronkite was a staunch liberal.

My point is, when you suppress access by the media to public information, it's essentially suppressing free speech and freedom of the press.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

The fact of the matter is Donald Trump is trying to censor free speech and freedom of the press, something that the Obama administration has been doing for quite some time.

Quote:I can't wait to see your source backing this claim.

I don't know if you ever listen to WOKV here in Jacksonville, but can you tell me how many of the broadcast journalists are democrat or republican? What about a familiar journalist that is both on the news and on the Opinion shows on the radio station? That being Jamie Dupree. While he's not a local broadcaster/journalist, he is featured on talk radio and does appear on stage at live events with mostly conservative Opinion journalists.

Take a look at FOX News and tell me if you can prove that say Bret Baier, Shepard Smith or even Megyn Kelly or Greta Van Susteren are either democrat or republican.

I can go on and on with other networks both local and national, and there is no real clear evidence of bias in their reporting.

Yes it's commonly known that many in media tend to lean left in their personal point of view, but the best and the ones that are successful tend to leave a question mark in people's minds and don't make their job(s) personal. It wasn't known for decades that Walter Cronkite was a staunch liberal.

My point is, when you suppress access by the media to public information, it's essentially suppressing free speech and freedom of the press.

Jw has a hard time reading...

His link, which I skimmed, mentioned some tripe that 9 out of 10 journalists in Washington DC were democrats.

Cut the kid some slack, this is his first time trying to pay attention to politics. :-)

Quote:The MSM is certainly not fiscally conservative, and I asked you provide a credible source proving it is.

I'll wait...

YouTube noam Chomsky and watch any of his videos when you have a chance. Honestly, even if you disagree with him. His points are valid and easy to understand. I honestly urge you to expand your thoughts on this topic.

As a trump supporter, you must agree that free trade and corporations that benefit from globalization are eating our lunch. Chomsky may strike a chord with you...

Now, back to the labor section of the newspaper... ;-)