Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
5 Year Old Suspended for MAKE BELIEVE

Quote:Our current system of government only exists because the average citizen doesn't know the difference between a retirement account and an insurance program.

If you really view this so simplistically it's hard to take you seriously.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:My son was in private school from 2nd grade through 8th grade. He's now a sophomore in a public HS and my personal feeling is he's doing much better in the public school. Less coddling and more personal accountability.

Plus it's an Ag based curriculum Smile
Good for your son!

Im all for kids learning however is best for them. What I don't appreciate are people who just bash public schools. Maybe it's not right for your child but it works for millions of others.

Just today I had 3 students come back to my school and tell my wife (who also teaches at my school) how much they appreciate everything she's done for them.

Quote:If you really view this so simplistically it's hard to take you seriously.

old... age... insurance

And the school board is doubling down on this. 
The clueless government school people think that a 5 year old with a small stick is a "threat."

http://www.wral.com/5-year-old-hoke-coun.../16613911/

Quote: 

“It is our duty to ensure the safety of our students and staff. Therefore, we respond to all threats in a serious manner and take appropriate action,”

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

There were studies here that show that public and private students of the same socioeconomic background get similar school results but when they reach university the public kids out perform the private ones as they are better learners than the spoon fed private schoolers.

Save your money if you don't live in a ghetto.

Quote:There were studies here that show that public and private students of the same socioeconomic background get similar school results but when they reach university the public kids out perform the private ones as they are better learners than the spoon fed private schoolers.

Save your money if you don't live in a ghetto.

Spoon fed? Where exactly do you get that assessment? Better learners? What does that mean exactly? Are these the same polls that had Hillary winning in a landslide?

Sure, MORE public school students will be more successful simply because there are more of them and it's a simple law of statistics, but the image you paint for yourself of coddling and easy curriculum is down right silly.

Studies aren't polls...

Sure, why send your kids private then if there is no difference in learning environments?

Anecdotal evidence inbound: Went to public and private as a kid. I felt I learned more in public and gained better social skills. The private school teachers felt as if they had to make sure test scores were higher than the public schools to justify the cost and thus they did a ton of coaching and babying. It kills a kid's critical thinking skills. You also ran into teachers who didn't want to offer any sort of real consequences for some of the kids of parents who had a ton of pull at the private school. So they kinda ran wild. After going to public I was able to take up wrestling and football (smaller private schools tend to have soccer, basketball, and golf).

Not all private and public schools are created equal so this is just my personal experience. 

Quote:Studies aren't polls...

Sure, why send your kids private then if there is no difference in learning environments?

A foreigner commenting on the Duval County Public School System. Hilarious. I am guessing the words "I don't know" have likely never come out of your mouth. Typical know it all liberal.

Private schooling is a choice. Class sizes are one of the many differences in learning environment. Will you dispute that?

Also, I am a product of public schools and consider myself very successful. I also know Bolles graduates who are waiting tables at Chilis. At the end of the day, its about the capability and willingness of the kid to want to succeed

Quote:Anecdotal evidence inbound: Went to public and private as a kid. I felt I learned more in public and gained better social skills. The private school teachers felt as if they had to make sure test scores were higher than the public schools to justify the cost and thus they did a ton of coaching and babying. It kills a kid's critical thinking skills. You also ran into teachers who didn't want to offer any sort of real consequences for some of the kids of parents who had a ton of pull at the private school. So they kinda ran wild. After going to public I was able to take up wrestling and football (smaller private schools tend to have soccer, basketball, and golf).

Not all private and public schools are created equal so this is just my personal experience.

I have a very similar view as a parent. A lot of things slid or were massaged over to keep me happy.

Quote:And the school board is doubling down on this. 
The clueless government school people think that a 5 year old with a small stick is a "threat."

We just need to spend more money.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:And the school board is doubling down on this. 

If only he had done this in a girl's bathroom, and said the stick identified as a female, he'd be lauded as a hero.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:A foreigner commenting on the Duval County Public School System. Hilarious. I am guessing the words "I don't know" have likely never come out of your mouth. Typical know it all liberal.

Private schooling is a choice. Class sizes are one of the many differences in learning environment. Will you dispute that?

Also, I am a product of public schools and consider myself very successful. I also know Bolles graduates who are waiting tables at Chilis. At the end of the day, its about the capability and willingness of the kid to want to succeed

I stated I was talking about where I live though I'm sure there is parallels...

Finland is the envy of the world for education where they all go to public schools, so I'm not sure paying inflated fees is the answer.

Was the stick gun loaded?

[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Quote:That actually took place 15 minutes from my house.

Awful situation but this incident doesn't diminish good work a lot of public schools in MD do. 

Continually bashing public school teachers just isn't right. There are bad teachers just like there are bad employees everywhere but to generalize all public schools as terrible is just wrong. There are a lot of amazing teachers in every county across the USA. Home school your kids if you want. Spend thousands of dollars to send them to private school. Be my guest. But millions of kids get great education across the USA from public schools. 
I don't know why you can't separate being disappointed with our current education system with supporting teachers.  The "vast right wing majority" support and empathize with the plight of the teacher.  The teacher's hands are tied with all of this standardized teaching and results based evaluation.  Remind us all again who supports the current system and who opposes it?

Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

Quote:I don't know why you can't separate being disappointed with our current education system with supporting teachers. The "vast right wing majority" support and empathize with the plight of the teacher. The teacher's hands are tied with all of this standardized teaching and results based evaluation. Remind us all again who supports the current system and who opposes it?

Mike Pence absolutely supports the standardized testing. When the Indiana voters voted in an opponent to his education meddling, he changed the laws and neutered the position.

Quote:Mike Pence absolutely supports the standardized testing. When the Indiana voters voted in an opponent to his education meddling, he changed the laws and neutered the position.
I'll take your word for this due to my ignorance of Indiana politics.  I still stand by my query as to whom overall supports standardized testing and who does not.  My experience has been that democrats support the NEA blindly while republicans do not.

Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

That's in the county next to us. The funny thing is, most of the people who live in that area are redneck hunters so guns are not a strange thing from a Hollywood movie. I am good friends with a family who lives there and teaches their kids how to hunt squirrels from the time they are able to understand the idea of a gun (that it's not a toy- ever) and gun safety. This part of NC is still very conservative and very pro- 2nd amendment so when we heard about this we were surprised that someone was wigging out about a stick gun. 

Obviously Mother Nature needs suspending for growing that damn stick into a gun shape. Ban all trees from schoolyards.

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.