Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Derrick Henry's bad footwork

Am I one of few who think he'll be just fine?

It's not like he's got the vision of Trent Richardson.

Worst case I see is having to assume a Greg Jones role, which isn't a bad thing at all.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I've been saying it all along. The dude is only a goal line back. Waste of a high pick.

Watching this is really bad though. Yikes.

Picked 10 slots above where we picked Greg Jones.

What were his RB stats like?

Quote:Am I one of few who think he'll be just fine?

It's not like he's got the vision of Trent Richardson.

Worst case I see is having to assume a Greg Jones role, which isn't a bad thing at all.

Different styles. Henry is a 240 pound running back who plays like a 200 pound running back. Greg Jones was a 240 pound running back who played like a 300 pound bulldozer.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Different styles. Henry is a 240 pound running back who plays like a 200 pound running back. Greg Jones was a 240 pound running back who played like a 300 pound bulldozer.

Except when he needed short yardage.

He always came up short when there was no good reason for him to come up short.

Quote:Picked 10 slots above where we picked Greg Jones.

What were his RB stats like?

Greg Jones who played fullback in a different offensive era?

It doesn't matter what his stats were like since the situation is nothing alike.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

LOL.. "different offensive era"

Only because we were hamstrung by our awful QBs, maybe.

You seriously don't remember him playing HB?

Not a fan then and didn't watch, or too young to remember?

Quote:He always came up short when there was no good reason for him to come up short.

I honestly do not remember that.

;

;

Quote:I honestly do not remember that.

I also remember him looking pretty damn good at HB in pre-season the year he tore his knee up.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:LOL.. "different offensive era"

Only because we were hamstrung by our awful QBs, maybe.

You seriously don't remember him playing HB?

Not a fan then and didn't watch, or too young to remember?

I'm 31 and have been watching since day one but I find it humorous that you try to laugh off that it was a different offensive era.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:I also remember him looking pretty damn good at HB in pre-season the year he tore his knee up.

He also took the vast majority of snaps as a lead blocker which I'm sure they aren't going to ask Henry to do.

Quote:I'm 31 and have been watching since day one but I find it humorous that you try to laugh off that it was a different offensive era.

When do you think the "modern QB era" started?  Last season?!?!

Just WOW...

Quote:He also took the vast majority of snaps as a lead blocker which I'm sure they aren't going to ask Henry to do.

The comparison is in the framework of what a "disappointing" career for Henry might look like, and what I feel his worst case scenario would be.  Not sure if you missed that, so it probably needs to be repeated.

We weren't so disappointed in how things turned out for Jones, who found a role in spite of not quite fitting into the HB stable coming into the league.

I certainly don't see Henry flaming out like a Trent Richardson or others.  The guy has been proving his doubters wrong throughout his college career, where many wanted him to move to LB.  ln spite of that, he had a remarkable college career at RB.

Let's not act like you have to be a Tebow cult level supporter to think Henry will have NFL success at RB.  It's not like that at all, where most felt he would fail and it was a shocker that he was reached for so high in the draft.

It's cool to think he'll bust or be a failure in the NFL.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion.  I just don't see much, if any, justification behind it.

But by all means... let the drubbing commence, on both Henry and anyone who dares think he'll be a success.  The horror.

So, my only two options are First Ballot Hall of Famer or Flaming Bust?

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

(This post was last modified: 06-29-2016, 02:39 PM by Achilles.)

Quote:The comparison is in the framework of what a "disappointing" career for Henry might look like, and what I feel his worst case scenario would be. Not sure if you missed that, so it probably needs to be repeated.

We weren't so disappointed in how things turned out for Jones, who found a role in spite of not quite fitting into the HB stable coming into the league.

I certainly don't see Henry flaming out like a Trent Richardson or others. The guy has been proving his doubters wrong throughout his college career, where many wanted him to move to LB. ln spite of that, he had a remarkable college career at RB.

Let's not act like you have to be a Tebow cult level supporter to think Henry will have NFL success at RB. It's not like that at all, where most felt he would fail and it was a shocker that he was reached for so high in the draft.

It's cool to think he'll bust or be a failure in the NFL. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I just don't see much, if any, justification behind it.

But by all means... let the drubbing commence, on both Henry and anyone who dares think he'll be a success. The horror.
I laid out my opinion pretty simply. If you would like to twist or skew it and project then that is up to you, but our entire exchange in this thread is just created by off base posts from yourself.

Someone disagrees = "off base"

rich

Adding you to the can't carry on a decent discussion list for my future reference.  Talk about projection...

Quote:Someone disagrees = "off base"

rich

Adding you to the can't carry on a decent discussion list for my future reference. Talk about projection...

It's not that you disagree, let me make a list...

1. You quesioned my age

2. You questioned my fandom

3. You skewed what I said about henry

4. You compared a RB drafted in 2016 to a FB drafted in 2004 (I believe)

Everything you have said was pretty much erroneous.

Where was the intelligent conversation you were trying to have? I must have missed it buried in the unnecessary insults.

Quote:It's not that you disagree, let me make a list...

1. You quesioned my age

Where was the intelligent conversation you were trying to have? I must have missed it buried in the unnecessary insults.

Jones was drafted to play halfback. The knee injury ended that and he added even more weight to play FB. The intent for him was a 1-2 similar to what we had in Stacey Mack, and he did flash a bit before the injury and in one game against Pittsburgh as an emergency starter after, but he'd still be considered a disappointment from what he could've been IMO. If Henry follows a similar path I think he's a bust because the expectations seem to be much higher.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:Jones was drafted to play halfback. The knee injury ended that and he added even more weight to play FB. The intent for him was a 1-2 similar to what we had in Stacey Mack, and he did flash a bit before the injury and in one game against Pittsburgh as an emergency starter after, but he'd still be considered a disappointment from what he could've been IMO. If Henry follows a similar path I think he's a bust because the expectations seem to be much higher.

That's what I'm getting at.

Jag fans were happy with Jones, a favorite.

Yet, if Henry were to turn out the same there's no reason they shouldn't feel the same as well.

Again, I don't see an outright bust like some RBs have done lately.

Quote:It's not that you disagree, let me make a list...

1. You quesioned my age

It's right to question you.  You've been inaccurate and exaggerating from your first post in the thread, and probably every single one thereafter.

Only someone too young to have known these facts, or not paying enough attention (such as a non-fan) wouldn't have known those facts.

You've been caught and are now projecting.

You had no idea Jones played HB.  No excuse for a fan to not know that.  You had no idea Alabama was the few schools who didn't want to move Henry to LB.  That's the very definition of being doubted at RB.  His production proved his doubters wrong.  Again, uninformed on the subject you act as if you know enough about, which you obviously do not.  Your grandmother could run the drill better?  Childish hyperbole and a really deep discussion point there for sure...

If you don't like the guy, that's all you have to say.  You don't have to resort to... ...this... which is unproductive, non-discussion that only exposes your lack of civil discourse.  Be open to learning what you didn't know before, don't get angry about it and blame the teacher.

(This post was last modified: 07-02-2016, 09:14 AM by Achilles.)

Quote:It's right to question you. You've been inaccurate and exaggerating from your first post in the thread, and probably every single one thereafter.

Only someone too young to have known these facts, or not paying enough attention (such as a non-fan) wouldn't have known those facts.

You've been caught and are now projecting.

You had no idea Jones played HB. No excuse for a fan to not know that. You had no idea Alabama was the few schools who didn't want to move Henry to LB. That's the very definition of being doubted at RB. His production proved his doubters wrong. Again, uninformed on the subject you act as if you know enough about, which you obviously do not. Your grandmother could run the drill better? Childish hyperbole and a really deep discussion point there for sure...

If you don't like the guy, that's all you have to say. You don't have to resort to... ...this... which is unproductive, non-discussion that only exposes your lack of civil discourse. Be open to learning what you didn't know before, don't get angry about it and blame the teacher.
My grandmother probably could have run that drill better. It was the worst I have ever seen. Maybe it was his first time doing it, doesn't change the fact that it was the worst I've ever seen, it doesn't change the fact that I think he's nothing more than a goal line/short yardage back in the NFL.

That's not projecting. It's me giving my opinion and we will not really know how my opinion shakes out for a few years so we will wait and see.

Edit: I know what Jones was drafted for and where he came from. His career is over and he played fullback for the majority of it in a different offensive era. Those are just statistical facts. If you want to say that you think their careers will take similar paths that's one thing but to compare their stats without explanation of why is different. If Henry winds up being nothing more than Greg Jones in 2016 then he is a bust. Jones gave us a lot of value blocking, it was way more important back then to have a guy who can always come out and lead block.