Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jaguars sign Bjorn Werner

Quote:You know the saying "Just get the best football players and worry about where to play them and line them up later"?

Maybe teams should consider scheme fit more heavily....
I have argued that for years.  It's not as simple as BAP.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I have argued that for years.  It's not as simple as BAP.

If the scheme will remain in place with limited flexibility,   it would seem like the best way to put together a draft board is based on the schemes the team uses instead of overall ability and potential.

Quote:If the scheme will remain in place with limited flexibility,   it would seem like the best way to put together a draft board is based on the schemes the team uses instead of overall ability and potential.

Indeed, and when you look at the defensive players that Caldwell drafts he typically does this. The one exception might be with Myles Jack, but the idea is that he's so talented they'll figure out something even if that means adjusting the scheme for him. Typically speaking though, Gus is not much for adjusting scheme to fit players. He's more into finding the players to run his perfected defense.

'02

Quote:Indeed, and when you look at the defensive players that Caldwell drafts he typically does this. The one exception might be with Myles Jack, but the idea is that he's so talented they'll figure out something even if that means adjusting the scheme for him. Typically speaking though, Gus is not much for adjusting scheme to fit players. He's more into finding the players to run his perfected defense.

Gus Bradley's input in the Jaguars Draft process as a result from his days with the Seahawks Coaching staff likely affects the collective Jaguars draft process mindset.    Over the years,  the Seahawks have drafted some players much higher than the vast majority of teams,  if not all of the teams, because of the fit factor.    The overall results with the Seahawks success with draft picks and UDRFAs speaks for itself.  

Quote:If the scheme will remain in place with limited flexibility,   it would seem like the best way to put together a draft board is based on the schemes the team uses instead of overall ability and potential.
If you get together a rag tag group of talented guys who don't fit a system, Not everyone's talents are going to be utilized effectively.  If you draft a mauler/road grader type guard and ask him to do a lot of pulling, he's not going to get outside well enough to execute the blocks if you insist on using him to run that play.  If you draft a zone CB and ask him to play a lot of press man, you can expect him to get beat a lot. 

Quote:If you get together a rag tag group of talented guys who don't fit a system, Not everyone's talents are going to be utilized effectively.  If you draft a mauler/road grader type guard and ask him to do a lot of pulling, he's not going to get outside well enough to execute the blocks if you insist on using him to run that play.  If you draft a zone CB and ask him to play a lot of press man, you can expect him to get beat a lot. 

Exactly.    Trying to fit a square peg in a round hole is a recipe' for disaster.

On the other side of the coin,  if the coaching staff is fired and a new staff changes systems,  much of the team's current personnel will need to be replaced.   Which can be difficult in large part because of the salary cap.

I think you'll find most teams consider scheme quite a bit when it comes to draft picks.

Quote:   Exactly.    Trying to fit a square peg in a round hole is a recipe' for disaster.

On the other side of the coin,  if the coaching staff is fired and a new staff changes systems,  much of the team's current personnel will need to be replaced.   Which can be difficult in large part because of the salary cap.
Precisely, which is a big reason why I am always slow to call for a coach's firing.  Constant coaching turnover keeps a team on a rebuilding treadmill-drafting and drafting and not getting anywhere.

Quote:I think you'll find most teams consider scheme quite a bit when it comes to draft picks.

I'm wondering how much Colts GM Ryan Grigson learned from his experience of the Bjoern Werner selection..  

Quote:I think you'll find most teams consider scheme quite a bit when it comes to draft picks.
I have no doubt they do just that.

This stems from a huge board debate over BAP vs. need drafting.  One poster openly wondered why a team wouldn't simply take the best player every time and adjust the scheme to the personnel.

Quote:Precisely, which is a big reason why I am always slow to call for a coach's firing.  Constant coaching turnover keeps a team on a rebuilding treadmill-drafting and drafting and not getting anywhere.

Absolutely. 

Using the Browns as an example since they have led the way in coaching turnover,  it's easy to see why they have struggled for a long time.   Unless they give Hue Jackson at least 4 years to build his program,  history will likely repeat itself in Cleveland.   

Here is Charley Casserly talking more about scheme fit...

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-hq/0ap3000...t-pressure

Quote: I'm wondering how much Colts GM Ryan Grigson learned from his experience of the Bjoern Werner selection..

Hard to tell,his FAs pick ups have been pretty awful,but his last two drafts have been pretty good I thought,well apart from Dorset in the 1st last year,that was inexcusable.

Quote:I have no doubt they do just that.

This stems from a huge board debate over BAP vs. need drafting. One poster openly wondered why a team wouldn't simply take the best player every time and adjust the scheme to the personnel.

Scheme doesn't really matter to some players but yeah its generally a mixture of talent,need,scheme.

Quote:Scheme doesn't really matter to some players but yeah its generally a mixture of talent,need,scheme.
Right.

Some players are scheme versatile.  You could plug them in to almost any scheme and they would do just fine.

Others, not so much.  Most need a scheme that utilizes their strengths.

BigCatCountry actually had a good article (shocking) on the LEO position and how that is still going to be the biggest question mark and problem this season. We have a bunch of potential but big questions with the players. No real veteran presence and a bunch of young rookies. Fowler is essentially a rookie, not only that, but hes coming off an ACL, he has a big mountain to climb. Ngakoue is a rookie, Davis is situational and then more rookies. 

This scenario works perfect for Werner, who was fantastic in college. I could see him making the team and with his hands down in a 43, he could find his old game and could contribute. Colts did not use him in his natural position, Jags can move him back and he could play. Especially with how young our pass rushers are, fits perfectly for Werner.