Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
LaCanfora's QB Crystal Ball

Quote:Seattle wins by pounding the ball like that. Granted, they incorporate read options that weren't utilized in 1983, but they have won by being a relatively run heavy team. The year SF and Baltimore played in the SB, both teams ran the ball frequently.

As to your second question, you can have a good QB with a run heavy attack. The Steelers had such an identity early in Big Ben's career. The 1990s Cowboys were another team like that, with Aikman and Emmitt Smith and that great run blocking OL. The on stretch where Jeff Fisher actually had any sort of sustained success is when he had a run heavy attack with Steve McNair.

Seattle is a good example, but that D, oh my that D was outstanding. I can see the San Francisco association, but again, their D was so good. I guess that will be a key component. Can the Titans D elevate their game? Should be interesting.
“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 05-14-2016, 12:11 PM by Bullseye.)

Quote:Seattle is a good example, but that D, oh my that D was outstanding. I can see the San Francisco association, but again, their D was so good. I guess that will be a key component. Can the Titans D elevate their game? Should be interesting.
That's what Tennessee is trying to replicate...a tough, physical, run the ball/stop the run team.

They drafted the RT and power RB on offense, drafted a DE to move him to OLB and a big NT in the 2nd round on defense.

It can work, even today.  But what often hamstrings teams like that is a sufficient lack of offensive balance.  They can run the ball well but can't pass the ball well enough to win.= (See Schottenheimer era Browns and Chiefs;  See also Mora era Saints; Dungy era Bucs.  JDR era Jaguars, Buddy Ryan era Eagles, Rex Ryan era Jets, and most of the Billick era Ravens) or fail to build an all time great defense to compensate.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:I don't know about that.

Gabbert never threw 4 TDs in a game. Mariota did it in his first game.

Mariota has flaws in his game. He has problems with down field accuracy. But I think he has much higher potential than Gabbert, even if he never ends up truly elite.

Until the Titans & Jags realize the QB is only part of the equation, it won't matter.

True enough it looks like both teams are finally addressing the other parts of their team, so far it's just academic, it's "on paper"

We'll see what your coaches do when the bullets start flying for real. But their track records don't inspire hope... or at least shouldn't.
ImATexan

Quote:Until the Titans & Jags realize the QB is only part of the equation, it won't matter.

True enough it looks like both teams are finally addressing the other parts of their team, so far it's just academic, it's "on paper"

We'll see what your coaches do when the bullets start flying for real. But their track records don't inspire hope... or at least shouldn't.
In the immediate aftermath of the Gene Smith era, we didn't have ANY part of the equation.

Heck, at best, we were in remedial math, we couldn't find the classroom, had no textbook-and that's when we weren't skipping school altogether.

Caldwell knows how to identify talent and he is well on his way to building a complete team, as the team now has five (5) players in the NFLs top 100, and several more seeming like good candidates to join that list in the next year or so.

You are correct that our coaching is an unknown quantity at best.  Now that he has talent, we'll see what Bradley does.  But even if Bradley isn't the guy to turn this team around, we have a very good nucleus with which the next coach can turn the thing around.

Quote:Until the Titans & Jags realize the QB is only part of the equation, it won't matter.

the pressure is on for Bradley to win or get the boot and after the draft and free agency I'm much more optimistic. What are your thoughts on the Texans QB situation?

Quote:In the immediate aftermath of the Gene Smith era, we didn't have ANY part of the equation.

Heck, at best, we were in remedial math, we couldn't find the classroom, had no textbook-and that's when we weren't skipping school altogether.

Caldwell knows how to identify talent and he is well on his way to building a complete team, as the team now has five (5) players in the NFLs top 100, and several more seeming like good candidates to join that list in the next year or so.

You are correct that our coaching is an unknown quantity at best. Now that he has talent, we'll see what Bradley does. But even if Bradley isn't the guy to turn this team around, we have a very good nucleus with which the next coach can turn the thing around.
if Bradley can't I bet Jacksonville is a hot commidty for top coaches next year. Kinda like a Tampa Bay/ Dungey/Gruden type situation.

Quote:if Bradley can't I bet Jacksonville is a hot commidty for top coaches next year. Kinda like a Tampa Bay/ Dungey/Gruden type situation.
Absolutely.  It would be a popular destination for guys looking to become head coaches.

Young capable QB?  Check.

Good young nucleus overall?  Check.

Owner willing to spend money?  Check.

Good facilities?  Check.

I don't believe in Bradley at all. I do believe in the talent on the team, though. When Bradley [BLEEP] the bed the team will have its pick of top tier coaches next season. I expect once the Jaguars have a decent coach they'll have a run of success in the AFCS much like the Patriots have had in the AFCE.

Quote:What are your thoughts on the Texans QB situation?

I'm not a Brock Osweiler fan just yet. But I feel O'b can get fine QB play from below avg QBs if he'd just make up his mind, stick with one guy, & focus on making that guy successful.

I'm glad that it's essentially a two year deal. I hope they are honest in their evaluation in the future. If Osweiler doesn't look like he's worth $19M in 2018 that we have a "better than Hoyer" plan B. If there's any doubt, next season I hope they at least float a $7M/yr deal at Savage to keep him or draft a 3rd/2nd round guy.
ImATexan

Yes, I'm sure they aren't aware of this.

[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

If he ends up being the second coming of Scott Mitchell, I'm glad he is in our division. I can name 20 other ANd who scare me more than this guy.
Only a chump boos the home team!

Brock's offensive production was low last year, considering he had some powerful offensive weapons in DT and Emmanuel Sanders. I'm not too intimidated by him being on the Texans. I think our pass rush will give him some real problems.

Quote:Brock's offensive production was low last year, considering he had some powerful offensive weapons in DT and Emmanuel Sanders. I'm not too intimidated by him being on the Texans. I think our pass rush will give him some real problems.

Your pass rush is about as proven as our QB... actually, our QB has more game experience than your "pass rush"

ImATexan

Quote:Your pass rush is about as proven as our QB... actually, our QB has more game experience than your "pass rush"

Don't exaggerate. The Jaguars have a couple of proven pass rushing players in Marks and Jackson.

Quote:Brock's offensive production was low last year, considering he had some powerful offensive weapons in DT and Emmanuel Sanders. I'm not too intimidated by him being on the Texans. I think our pass rush will give him some real problems.

On Osweiler I'll throw at out that he did only play seven games and was 5-2.  For better or worse that's way to early to make any final predictions on him being a good/bad QB.  What I like is that Bill Obrien did get to work with him in 2014 during a joint practice session, and saw all the film in 2015. Whether he is a franchise QB or an above game manager will only be seen in the upcoming the season (and maybe the next season if he progresses.)

Quote:Don't exaggerate. The Jaguars have a couple of proven pass rushing players in Marks and Jackson.

Keep in mind the post I was responding to.
ImATexan