Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
30 out of 31 is good drafting

The Jaguars have drafted 31 guys from 2012 through 2015. 30 of them were still active at some point in 2015, the only one out of the NFL is Ace Sanders.

That's good drafting.

I can't post the link but it's in the Pro-Football-Reference website.

It also shows Khalif Barnes, drafted in 2005, as still active last year. I thought he was gone by now. The longest tenured Jag draftee as of 2015 is Rashean Mathis from 2003, then Josh Scobee and Daryl Smith in 04.

Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:The Jaguars have drafted 31 guys from 2012 through 2015. 30 of them were still active at some point in 2015, the only one out of the NFL is Ace Sanders.

That's good drafting.

It also shows Khalif Barnes, drafted in 2005, as still active last year. I thought he was gone by now. The longest tenured Jag draftee as of 2015 is Rashean Mathis from 2003, then Josh Scobee and Daryl Smith in 04.

I don't think that means anything.

This regime has tried very hard to keep all their draft picks.. They haven't done anything yet except a handful of them, so it doesn't mean much to me.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:The Jaguars have drafted 31 guys from 2012 through 2015. 30 of them were still active at some point in 2015, the only one out of the NFL is Ace Sanders.

That's good drafting.

It also shows Khalif Barnes, drafted in 2005, as still active last year. I thought he was gone by now. The longest tenured Jag draftee as of 2015 is Rashean Mathis from 2003, then Josh Scobee and Daryl Smith in 04.
And Ace is out more due to his off field issues.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Half of the 2012 class is out of the NFL.

In 12 months I could see most if not our entire 2013 draft class be gone from this roster
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Ace should have been a player. He screwed himself as so many do, at least Johnny Clipboard got the money.

(This post was last modified: 05-07-2016, 06:51 PM by GlockBortles.)

Bad players being active isnt good drafting lol

Bad players don't stay long in the NFL. There are thousands of young men trying to get those jobs every year.

30 out the 31 players drafted by the Jaguars over 4 years have been good enough to stay on an an active NFL roster and the other one showed talent but had personal issues. Surely, many of them will be gone after this season's rosters are settled but that was a good run.

As always, the truth is somewhere in the middle- was it good drafting or just luck? Probably both.

There was a time toward the end of the Gene Smith era where similar numbers were thrown around.  Players active elsewhere in the league after being drafted here is proof of something.  Just being active on the team that drafted you by itself doesn't say much though because a GM would look pretty inept if he drafted guys and ended up allowing most of them to get cut.  He'd rather go down with the ship he built so to speak than to scrap it and tell the owner to hold on he's not finished building it yet after year 3 or 4.  This team definitely feels a lot different than where Gene Smith's team was through 4 drafts.  Let's hope it doesn't fall apart this year like it did in year 4 for Gene.

35 TDs, 4400 yards....

That's all a GM needs to be considered great. Look at Bill Polian. Yea, he had a few other hits, but because he took Manning instead of Leaf he was considered amazing. He missed a lot.

(This post was last modified: 05-09-2016, 07:50 AM by Deacon.)

Quote:35 TDs, 4400 yards....

That's all a GM needs to be considered great. Look at Bill Polian. Yea, he had a few other hits, but because he took Manning instead of Leaf he was considered amazing. He missed a lot.

Ya think that maybe the fact that he built Super Bowl teams for two different organizations may have had something to do with Polian's reputation as well? And what GM out there hasn't missed a lot? They all miss, it's just the cost of doing business as a GM.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:Ya think that maybe the fact that he built Super Bowl teams for two different organizations may have had something to do with Polian's reputation as well? And what GM out there hasn't missed a lot? They all miss, it's just the cost of doing business as a GM.

Polian was one of the better GMs around for his time but I do think he underachieved. To have Peyton Manning and Jim Kelly as your QBs and to only come away with 1 SB...

I agree with that. Polian did underachieve. Jim Kelly with no Superbowl titles? Then he goes to Carolina I think during the expansion year and he's only a game away in 1996 already from another possible Superbowl. And then just the one with Manning? I think he underachieved big time. As far as all-time greats he's up there. But I'd still look at guys like Bill Walsh in San Francisco, Art Rooney Jr. in Pittsburgh & at this point, and it's still pretty early, I think Ozzie Newsome deserves some serious credit for what he's accomplished in Baltimore with the Ravens. He's won two Superbowls and unlike Polian he never had a QB as good as Manning or Kelly. 

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."