Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Way Too Early 53-man Roster

Quote:Exactly.

Besides, the Jaguars scheme involves a deeper passing game which suits Allen far better than it suits Henne.
That's fine. But as another poster said, they will not carry 3 QBs, taking away depth from another position. The only options are to cut Henne or move Allen to the PS. You don't risk not having enough OLs or WRs in order to hold on to a guy who's only here as the 3rd QB.

IF he gets picked up off our PS there will be another Allen next year.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 05-07-2016, 10:15 AM by Jags@dajugular.)

Some of these outcomes are a fantasy. There's no way evans is starting much less making the roster.He sucks and Grant maybe but only for special teams drob song going nowhere.

Quote:Some of these outcomes are a fantasy. There's no way evans is starting much less making the roster.He sucks and Grant maybe but only for special teams drob song going nowhere.

Evans isn't starting matetial, but he is good depth. It isn't saying much, but out of all the safeties, Evans played the best last season. None of our safeties, except maybe Sample, had the skill set to Play at FS. We have had a bunch of strong safeties playing both safety positions. Now atleast, we have Gipson.
No commercial messages in sigs

Quote:And yes, I left Henne on it. This is a roster prediction more than it is a depth chart so no names are listed twice.

QB
(3): Blake Bortles, Chad Henne, Brandon Allen

RB
(4): Chris Ivory, TJ Yeldon, Jonas Gray, Corey Grant

WR1
(3): Allen Robinson, Marquis Lee, Arrelious Benn

WR2/slot
(3): Allen Hurns, Rashad Greene, Bryan Walters

TE
(3): Julius Thomas, Marcedes Lewis and Nic Jacobs

OT
(4): Luke Joekel, Kelvin Beachum, Jermey Parnell, Josh Wells

C/G
(5): Brandon Linder, AJ Cann, Mackenzy Bernadeau, Luke Bowanko, Tyler Shatley

OFFENSE: 25, tough cuts were Neal Sterling and Denard Robinson, Grant is flat out more exciting and faster than DRob with better hands, and Jacobs edges out Sterling at TE since he'll double as their new FB in short yardage situations.

LEO
(3): Dante Fowler, Yannick Ngakoue, Jonathan Woodard

DT:
(3): Malik Jackson, Sen'Derrick Marks, Sheldon Day

NT
(2): Roy Miller, Abry Jones

DE
(2): Jared Odrick, Ryan Davis

OLB
(2): Telvin Smith, Dan Skuta

MLB
(2): Paul Posluszny, Jordan Tripp

OTTO
(2): Myles Jack, Tyrone Holmes

CB
(5): Davon House, Jalen Ramsey, Prince Amukamara, Aaron Colvin, Nick Marshall

FS
(2): Tashaun Gipson, James Sample

SS
(2): Josh Evans, Johnathan Cyprien

DEFENSE: 25, tough cuts were all the UDFAs, but I can't project any making it this early. McCray, Armbrister and Bennett were kind of tough

K (1): Jaden Oberkrom

P (1): Brad Nortman

LS (1): Carson Tinker
Looks about right to me.  

At RB, I would replace Gray with Robinson though. Then, I think we pick up whichever RB the Titans cut from Sankey, Cobb, Andrews or McCluster.   I would show only two QB's, with Allen on practice squad.  So 5 RB's, 6 WR's, and 2 QB's.  At WR, I think the 6th WR, if we keep that many, will be a cut from another team instead of Benn.

Several of you are sleeping on Benn, but I urge you to keep an eye on him in camp. He's a true deep threat type of WR that should fit in perfectly with Blake's deep passing game.

As for the number of quarterbacks, while I'm totally in favor of only keeping Bortles and Allen, it looks like they intend to keep 3 on the roster based on what Caldwell and Gus said after Allen was drafted. I don't believe they have any intentions of exposing Allen to the PS.

'02

Quote:Looks about right to me.  

At RB, I would replace Gray with Robinson though. Then, I think we pick up whichever RB the Titans cut from Sankey, Cobb, Andrews or McCluster.   I would show only two QB's, with Allen on practice squad.  So 5 RB's, 6 WR's, and 2 QB's.  At WR, I think the 6th WR, if we keep that many, will be a cut from another team instead of Benn.

I agree that 2 qbs likely means a 5th RB... possibly brought in, but more likely DRob and Gray... or else it could mean an 11th DL.

'02

Bennett will be there. They are not giving up on him after one year.

I see the roster breakdown looking like this:

QB - 3

RB - 4

WR - 5

TE - 4

OL - 9

Offense Total 25

LEO/OTTO - 5

DL - 7

LB - 4

CB - 5

S - 4

Defense Total 25

K - 1

P - 1

LS - 1

ST Total 3

Quote:I see the roster breakdown looking like this:

QB - 3

RB - 4

WR - 5

TE - 4

OL - 9

Offense Total 25

LEO/OTTO - 5

DL - 7

LB - 4

CB - 5

S - 4

Defense Total 25

K - 1

P - 1

LS - 1

ST Total 3

If we only keep 5 WRs I'm probably cutting Walters.

I'd like to see if Neal Sterling could snag the 4th TE spot from Koyack. I realize you can't really ask Sterling to block all that much, but he should be a fun pass-catching TE to watch when he's on the field. 

'02

Quote:If we only keep 5 WRs I'm probably cutting Walters.

I'd like to see if Neal Sterling could snag the 4th TE spot from Koyack. I realize you can't really ask Sterling to block all that much, but he should be a fun pass-catching TE to watch when he's on the field.

Yup. I see Sterling as the 4th TE who could also be the 6th WR if wrongly keep 5.

I would keep Walters over 4 TE's... 

"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

I just noticed that Alualu wasn't on your roster.  I also get the feeling that will happen this year with all the D-line additions they have made.  The last Gene Smith draft holdover.

Quote:I would keep Walters over 4 TE's...
thats a no brainer

(This post was last modified: 05-07-2016, 10:03 PM by TJBender.)

*NYOR means "not yet on roster"

Offense:

QB (3): Bortles, Henne, Allen

RB (5): Yeldon, Ivory, D. Robinson, Gray, Grant

FB (lol): lol

WR (5): A. Robinson, Hurns, Greene, Lee, Walters/Benn

TE (4): Thomas, Lewis, Jacobs, Koyack

T (3): Beachum, Parnell, Joeckel

G/C (5): Bernardeau, Linder, Cann, Bowanko, Shatley

Total: 25

Defense:

5-Tech: Jackson, R. Davis

3-Tech: Odrick, Day, Bennett

NT: Miller, Jones

LEO: Fowler, Ngakoue

OLB: T. Smith, Jack, Skuta, Holmes

MLB: Posluszny, Tripp

CB: Ramsey, House, Amukamara, Marshall, Boddy-Calhoun, NYOR*

FS: Gipson, Wolff

SS: Cyprien, Sample

Special Teams:

K: 24-of-38

P: Nortman

LS: Tinker

Total: 3

Overall thoughts:
  • Henne is a lock, so just stop. Allen isn't ready to lead the team if Bortles goes down, but he does have enough raw talent that the Jaguars would have to be really ok with the idea of never seeing him again if they try and squeak him through to the practice squad.
  • Fumblerooski (Grant) makes it as the fifth running back based upon his raw speed and the notion that Pinky and the Brain (Bradley and Caldwell) still believe him to be the best kickoff returner on the team. If Grant doesn't make the team outright, he's a definite candidate for a season-ending paper cut.
  • I struggled with WR and OL, but ultimately decided that the team needed an extra spot for Allen and would probably want to carry five RBs, so WR lost a spot. If they do carry six, "Walters/Benn" becomes "Walters, Benn".
  • At OL, versatility won the day. Joeckel can play both tackles and presumably guard if needed, Linder can apparently play anywhere, Bowanko can seemingly play all five positions, and Cann, Shatley and Bernardeau can play anywhere on the interior. With versatility like that, you don't really need to keep nine if you have needs elsewhere, but look for two OL to hit the practice squad if this comes to pass. If Joeckel ends up starting at guard, Wells/UDFA/NYOR makes the team and Shatley is gone.
  • Yes, I cut Marks. The Jags now have Jackson and Odrick making oodles of cash to do basically the same thing, and they've got redundant depth in Day and Bennett. Simply put, they don't need to pay a ton of money to an aging, banged-up tackle when they have several younger players, two of whom are expensive and two of whom are dirt-cheap, who have a very similar skill set and role on the team. Alualu was an easy cut.
  • I only kept two LEOs. Simple reason? Davis and Skuta are both expected to see snaps there, and the third LEO spot is needed elsehwere.
  • Yes, I cut Woodard.
  • That previously-third LEO spot goes to Jordan Tripp. I think that Jack is the MLB of the future, a Bobby Wagner type for us, but as a rookie, he'll be an OLB. I think the Jags like Holmes' skill set too much to risk losing him, and Skuta is too valuable at multiple positions to cut. The Jags don't have a true backup MLB if they keep Holmes and only carry five linebackers, so they sacrifice a third LEO to make sure they're covered against a Poz injury.
  • The cornerback chart reflects Colvin's suspension. Once he returns, one of Marshall, Boddy-Calhoun and the NYOR player is cut to make room for him. I just don't see Gratz or McCray making the team this year.
  • Josh Evans is an outstanding tackler, especially when the ball's still in the air. I think he's done in favor of Sample as a backup SS, and that Wolff is a not-so-dark horse candidate to make the roster ahead of him at FS.
  • I want nothing more than for 79-of-100 to beat 24-of-38, but again, I think Pinky and the Brain remain too intrigued by 24-of-38's unexpectedly underwhelming leg to let him go unless 79-of-100 clearly throttles him in camp.

I really hope Walters sticks around. I really liked him last season. Very reliable.

Quote:I really hope Walters sticks around. I really liked him last season. Very reliable.

Walters was great for us, but I could see them going more with the potential of someone like Sterling than the possession strength of Walters. We have enough front line receivers that they might be more inclined to take a flier on someone with a higher upside than someone that is reliable but lower ceiling. I am OK with it either way.

<p class="bbc_left">Education is the cheap defense of nations. - Edmund Burke

<p class="bbc_left"> 

<p class="bbc_left">Or is it from Burke? I tried finding the source, and looked through some of his writings, no luck. Anybody with google-fu got a citation of the source?

(This post was last modified: 05-07-2016, 03:43 PM by HolsterHusto.)

Quote:[*]You guys do know that Bryan Walters isn't on the team, right?
You know that Bryan Walters is on the team, right?

Quote:You know that Bryan Walters is on the team, right?
What the...why doesn't Ourlads have him listed on the roster?

*wipes egg off of face

(This post was last modified: 05-07-2016, 09:59 PM by Teal Time Radio.)

I agree on no way they keep three qbs.
Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

Quote: 

*NYOR means "not yet on roster"

Offense:

QB (3): Bortles, Henne, Allen

RB (5): Yeldon, Ivory, D. Robinson, Gray, Grant

FB (lol): lol

WR (5): A. Robinson, Hurns, Greene, Lee, Walters/Benn

TE (4): Thomas, Lewis, Jacobs, Koyack

T (3): Beachum, Parnell, Joeckel

G/C (5): Bernardeau, Linder, Cann, Bowanko, Shatley

Defense:

5-Tech: Jackson, R. Davis

3-Tech: Odrick, Day, Bennett

NT: Miller, Jones

LEO: Fowler, Ngakoue

OLB: T. Smith, Jack, Skuta, Holmes

MLB: Posluszny, Tripp

CB: Ramsey, House, Amukamara, Marshall, Boddy-Calhoun, NYOR*

FS: Gipson, Wolff

SS: Cyprien, Sample

Special Teams:

K: 24-of-38

P: Nortman

LS: Tinker

Total: 3

Overall thoughts:
  • Henne is a lock, so just stop. Allen isn't ready to lead the team if Bortles goes down, but he does have enough raw talent that the Jaguars would have to be really ok with the idea of never seeing him again if they try and squeak him through to the practice squad.
  • Fumblerooski (Grant) makes it as the fifth running back based upon his raw speed and the notion that Pinky and the Brain (Bradley and Caldwell) still believe him to be the best kickoff returner on the team. If Grant doesn't make the team outright, he's a definite candidate for a season-ending paper cut.
  • I struggled with WR and OL, but ultimately decided that the team needed an extra spot for Allen and would probably want to carry five RBs, so WR lost a spot. If they do carry six, "Walters/Benn" becomes "Walters, Benn".
  • At OL, versatility won the day. Joeckel can play both tackles and presumably guard if needed, Linder can apparently play anywhere, Bowanko can seemingly play all five positions, and Cann, Shatley and Bernardeau can play anywhere on the interior. With versatility like that, you don't really need to keep nine if you have needs elsewhere, but look for two OL to hit the practice squad if this comes to pass. If Joeckel ends up starting at guard, Wells/UDFA/NYOR makes the team and Shatley is gone.
  • Yes, I cut Marks. The Jags now have Jackson and Odrick making oodles of cash to do basically the same thing, and they've got redundant depth in Day and Bennett. Simply put, they don't need to pay a ton of money to an aging, banged-up tackle when they have several younger players, two of whom are expensive and two of whom are dirt-cheap, who have a very similar skill set and role on the team. Alualu was an easy cut.
  • I only kept two LEOs. Simple reason? Davis and Skuta are both expected to see snaps there, and the third LEO spot is needed elsehwere.
  • Yes, I cut Woodard.
  • That previously-third LEO spot goes to Jordan Tripp. I think that Jack is the MLB of the future, a Bobby Wagner type for us, but as a rookie, he'll be an OLB. I think the Jags like Holmes' skill set too much to risk losing him, and Skuta is too valuable at multiple positions to cut. The Jags don't have a true backup MLB if they keep Holmes and only carry five linebackers, so they sacrifice a third LEO to make sure they're covered against a Poz injury.
  • The cornerback chart reflects Colvin's suspension. Once he returns, one of Marshall, Boddy-Calhoun and the NYOR player is cut to make room for him. I just don't see Gratz or McCray making the team this year.
  • Josh Evans is an outstanding tackler, especially when the ball's still in the air. I think he's done in favor of Sample as a backup SS, and that Wolff is a not-so-dark horse candidate to make the roster ahead of him at FS.
  • I want nothing more than for 79-of-100 to beat 24-of-38, but again, I think Pinky and the Brain remain too intrigued by 24-of-38's unexpectedly underwhelming leg to let him go unless 79-of-100 clearly throttles him in camp.

I for the most part agree with your analysis.  The one area I differ is 5 RB's since I doubt think the Jags have 5 good RB's.  The only reason I can see them carry 5 Running Backs would be because they think Yeadon is going to be banged up.

I was also wondering about Marks. The Jags signed Malik Jackson, Bennett seemed to make good progress last year and then they drafted Sheldon Day.  That tells me they don't think Marks will be back 100%