Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
More Manziel

Quote:Manziel is in self destruct mode. He is turning into the sports version of Amy Winehouse or Lyndsey Lohan.

He's been in self destruct mode. I gotta find the article, but his junior year in HS his dad bought him in a new car as an incentive to get him to stop drinking because he had issues then.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I never really thought of him as a high level starting QB even without all the off field issues. Couldn't believe he went in round 1. 

Sad story but he did it to himself and deserves whatever the outcome is (most likely never getting a chance to play in the NFL again). 

Quote:The Manziel story is not going to end well. 

At some point it must be apparent he has a disease. I know many think alcoholism is merely a weakness or lack of character, that it's all a matter of personal choice, but what rational, mentally healthy person fritters away a potential fortune so frivolously. As hard as it can be to feel sorry for a privileged, athletically talented young man, I do indeed feel bad for him. I hope he conquers his demons, but the odds are against him.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:He's been in self destruct mode. I gotta find the article, but his junior year in HS his dad bought him in a new car as an incentive to get him to stop drinking because he had issues then.

That's precisely the wrong thing to do.  First of all, a H.S. kid has no business drinking alcohol in any form.  Second of all, a purchase such as a vehicle should be earned rather than used as a bribe for a young kid like that.

Quote:At some point it must be apparent he has a disease. I know many think alcoholism is merely a weakness or lack of character, that it's all a matter of personal choice, but what rational, mentally healthy person fritters away a potential fortune so frivolously. As hard as it can be to feel sorry for a privileged, athletically talented young man, I do indeed feel bad for him. I hope he conquers his demons, but the odds are against him.

Is it hard to feel sorry for him because he is "privileged"?  Is sympathy easier for a kid that comes from a poor family vs. a kid that comes from a wealthy family?  You yourself said that he has a disease, which I agree with you on.  However, I sympathize for the person and family of someone inflicted with said disease regardless of their social/economic status.  Alcoholism and/or drug addiction ruins many lives, far more than the person with the disease.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:but what rational, mentally healthy person fritters away a potential fortune so frivolously

I think you have it just backwards.  He pocketed $4.3 million when he signed with the Browns.  He's an immature 23-year-old alcoholic who loves to party.  Should he go to sweaty practice with people yelling at him?  No.  He's a millionaire, the life of the party, and who needs all those negative vibes, man?

A certain percentage of young men would do the same thing given the opportunity.  This particular specimen wasn't too hard to spot. 

Rental apt messed up and left drugs there.. oh boy.. he's done &  done..

Quote:At some point it must be apparent he has a disease. I know many think alcoholism is merely a weakness or lack of character, that it's all a matter of personal choice, but what rational, mentally healthy person fritters away a potential fortune so frivolously. As hard as it can be to feel sorry for a privileged, athletically talented young man, I do indeed feel bad for him. I hope he conquers his demons, but the odds are against him.

One who already had access to a fortune that he didn't have to work for.

He was born with the silver spoon wedged directly up his hind end.  He didn't need the NFL to have a fortune.  He just needed his last name.

PA Jags Fan
;
; Supporting from long distance

Manziel Indicted By Dallas County Grand Jury

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2016/04/24/manzi...rand-jury/

Quote:From the article.

That's why he is getting SO many offers right now.   Rolleyes

The dumb kid had so much potential that he's just wasting away.  Matt Jones anyone?
why should he care? His daddy is a rich oil man so little johnny has no money worries. The better question is why did the NFL even waste their time with him?

Quote:One who already had access to a fortune that he didn't have to work for.

He was born with the silver spoon wedged directly up his hind end. He didn't need the NFL to have a fortune. He just needed his last name.

Sounds like he could be President

Put a fork in him he's done.

Another affluenza addled BMOC football star that does not translate to the League.

I don't see a happy ending.

HeadSlap

When they have no time,  they think about it!

When they go down hard, they think about it!

Just watch Peyton, Andrew, Caep even Mr. Bundchen.

I doubt it happens but maybe some jail time would do him some good. But he seems a little too far gone.