Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Osweiler to Houston

Quote:The Texans will be hoping that Brock Osweiler isn't next Matt Flynn. From what I've seen of Osweiler he looks to have the ability to be a starter in the NFL, but precisely what level of starter is up for debate, at the minute he looks more likely to be an average starter than a potential elite or franchise quarterback.  

You can't really tell after only 7 starts at the QB position, but the odds are always with the average or so QB then with the elite of franchise QB.

We will get to see him twice next season and should have a better gauge on what his potential is by then.

He did get to sit behind Peyton Manning for a few years so that should be to his advantage.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:He really should have signed Peyton when he came knocking looking to take revenge on the colts. The texans already missed their turn. If Osweiler were a franchise level QB the broncos would have used their franchise tag on him instead of Miller.

I doubt Osweiler will be as bad as what you had last year, he doesn't seem to be that physically limited like Hoyer or mentally challenged like Mallet, but he got benched for a guy that had nothing left for a reason.

That's pretty much the long and short of it. Osweiler isn't physically limited like Matt Flynn so he has the potential to be decent, I just don't think he really had the accuracy and anticipation to be dangerous.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

[Image: gumby-photo.jpg?w=500]I'm just gonna leave that there. Let it soak in. 

Quote:He really should have signed Peyton when he came knocking looking to take revenge on the colts. The texans already missed their turn. If Osweiler were a franchise level QB the broncos would have used their franchise tag on him instead of Miller.

I doubt Osweiler will be as bad as what you had last year, he doesn't seem to be that physically limited like Hoyer or mentally challenged like Mallet, but he got benched for a guy that had nothing left for a reason.

When Kubiak turned him down?

I'm still ticked off at that!!! Then he goes to Denver and and wins a SB with him.

As far as Oswelier goes I think he was the best available to win now,and we really only take a two year hit if he sucks.

(This post was last modified: 03-13-2016, 12:42 AM by BattleRedBlood.)

I think what it boils down to is simply Brock Osweiler is better than any QB on the Texans roster and a better choice than the current QB free agents. I believe the Texans will still draft a QB after the 2nd round (all but the top two are projects) and will give him 2 years on the bench to get up to NFL speed while Osweiler shows if he can/can't be that long term answer. If he can, the draftee becomes the #2 and Tom Savage walks at the end of this season. If he can't, he walks in year two and the draftee gets his shot.

In my opinion, it's a big gamble, but it's literally the best option in our current position.

Quote:I think what it boils down to is simply Brock Osweiler is better than any QB on the Texans roster and a better choice than the current QB free agents. I believe the Texans will still draft a QB after the 2nd round (all but the top two are projects) and will give him 2 years on the bench to get up to NFL speed while Osweiler shows if he can/can't be that long term answer. If he can, the draftee becomes the #2 and Tom Savage walks at the end of this season. If he can't, he walks in year two and the draftee gets his shot.

In my opinion, it's a big gamble, but it's literally the best option in our current position.

I agree with everything you said up till we draft another QB.

I think we fill out the remaining weak spots in the draft in the interest of winning now.

(This post was last modified: 03-13-2016, 02:33 AM by Thunderkyss.)

I'd love to see what Tom Savage looks like in a real game. Just so I can see how Bill O"Brien & his staff does developing a young QB. I feel good about their ability to get their message across to veteran QBs & get decent production out of them.

Osweiler is sorta kinda in between. He's not completely new, straight out of college. But he's also not set in his ways the way a veteran QB could be.

7 games, I don't think that's enough to warrant an $18M contract, but I don't think that's the point.

A few things I wonder about a QB coming into the league are; can he learn an NFL playbook, can he play at NFL speed, can he play at a high level & help his team win.

I think the 7 games answer those questions in the affirmative.

That's not to say he's elite, or that he's going to be elite.

Now it's up to O'Brien to continue working with Osweiler on his development & help him become the best QB he can be. If that's going to be a $3M backup then yeah. We screwed the pooch. If he turns out to be a franchise tag worthy QB, then it was worth every penny.

Chances are he's probably somewhere in between. A $5M QB... still good enough to whip your azz
ImATexan

Quote:I'd love to see what Tom Savage looks like in a real game. Just so I can see how Bill O"Brien & his staff does developing a young QB.

I remember watching savage really early on in his collegiate career at Rutgers and thinking for how naturally good he is now, by the time he is draft eligible, he's going to be #1 overall material.

Obviously that didn't happen and he bounced around to Pitt and started playing well again.

Still an unknown but I think savage has a lot of hidden potential.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:     When Kubiak turned him down?

I'm still ticked off at that!!! Then he goes to Denver and and wins a SB with him.

As far as Oswelier goes I think he was the best available to win now,and we really only take a two year hit if he sucks.

Yep, could have been the texans getting all the glory instead of the broncos. I still don't understand how stupid they could possibly be to turn down Peyton when he came knocking.

(This post was last modified: 03-14-2016, 07:31 PM by TurndownforWatt.)

Quote:Yep, could have been the texans getting all the glory instead of the broncos. I still don't understand how stupid they could possibly be to turn down Peyton when he came knocking.
It was before Schaub had hit the skids post injury and they were cap strapped at the time...why they turned him down is completely understandable. He didn't fit Kubiak's system which is why those two butted heads in Denver..lol and let's not sit here and pretend that Peyton was the reason why the Broncos received glory or even won a Superbowl..the guy was a complete shell of his formal greatness.

But I find it hilarious people are saying Osweiler is a lateral move to Hoyer...really!?

Obviously those people didn't see Hoyer play... He's Hoyerble. The Texans definitely upgraded their QB position and they didn't have to trade a bunch of draft picks to do it either which is even better. I love the move that they made.

Drafting late in the draft and given their stout defense which alone can carry them to winning seasons they're probably not going to be in position to take a top promising prospect that pans out anyways.. so if they have the money, I'm glad they bought one instead of mortgaging the future by trading a King's ransom trying to move up to get one. Now they have all their picks available to use to build around Brock.

Quote:It was before Schaub had hit the skids post injury and they were cap strapped at the time...why they turned him down is completely understandable. He didn't fit Kubiak's system which is why those two butted heads in Denver..lol and let's not sit here and pretend that Peyton was the reason why the Broncos received glory or even won a Superbowl..the guy was a complete shell of his formal greatness.

But I find it hilarious people are saying Osweiler is a lateral move to Hoyer...really!?

Obviously those people didn't see Hoyer play... He's Hoyerble. The Texans definitely upgraded their QB position and they didn't have to trade a bunch of draft picks to do it either which is even better. I love the move that they made
Shaub was always just a mediocre at best QB, having him on the roster wasn't any excuse to turn away a future hall of famer.

I do agree that Manning wasn't the reason they won the SB this season, but he certainly performed better than anyone that has ever played for the texans from 2012 to 2014.

(This post was last modified: 03-14-2016, 08:02 PM by TurndownforWatt.)

Quote:Shaub was always just a mediocre at best QB, having him on the roster wasn't any excuse to turn away a future hall of famer.

I do agree that Manning wasn't the reason they won the SB this season, but he certainly performed better than anyone that has ever played for the texans from 2012 to 2014.
Wrong.. and completely misinformed.

Peyton was a below average QB this past season..and while being a future HOFer..his best years were behind him...and again we didn't have the cap space. Schaub led the entire league in passing, made multiple probowls, so he (preinjury) wasn't just "mediocre".. that's crap. We just didn't expect him to fall off a cliff like he did, hindsight is 20/20 though... that's why y'all drafted Gabby instead of Watt.

Still though even if the Texans signed Manning, there's no guarantee that would have led to a SB, so to say us not signing Peyton cost us "glory" is wrong because nothing is guaranteed... he would've cost us a ton of greenbacks though. Now we have a much younger signal caller with his best playing days ahead of him that we can grow with.

Quote:Wrong.. and completely misinformed.

Peyton was a below average QB this past season..and while being a future HOFer..his best years were behind him...and again we didn't have the cap space. Schaub led the entire league in passing, made multiple probowls, so he (preinjury) wasn't just "mediocre".. that's crap. We just didn't expect him to fall off a cliff like he did, hindsight is 20/20 though... that's why y'all drafted Gabby instead of Watt.

Still though even if the Texans signed Manning, there's no guarantee that would have led to a SB, so to say us not signing Peyton cost us "glory" is wrong because nothing is guaranteed... he would've cost us a ton of greenbacks though. Now we have a much younger signal caller with his best playing days ahead of him that we can grow with.

Did Schaub ever even pass for 30 or more TDs in a season? Peyton from 2012 through 2014 was a better QB than Schaub has ever been. I'm glad your team missed its opportunity, but I also feel bad for you, because it was right there and the texans ownership and management showed just how stupid they are.

(This post was last modified: 03-14-2016, 10:41 PM by BattleRedBlood.)

Houston turned Manning down because Kubiak was an idiot that loved him some Matt Schaub. He even joked to Schaub that he wanted the man to drive to IAH to pick Manning up for the interview. It was mentioned later several times that "we had our qb" in Schaub, much to a lot of the fans dismay. Even when Schaub fell off of a cliff, it was apparent to many of us fans that Kubiak couldn't wait to pull Keenum and reinsert Schaub.

Fast forward to 2015 and you see Denver offense suffering due to the mismatch of Manning skillset and Kubiaks offense. When Kubiak finally had enough reason to bench Manning for a QB (Osweiler) more suited to his offense he jumped at the chance. However when Brock began to struggle Elway and the Manning legacy would not allow this unproven rookie to continue to lead the Broncos to the big dance, that spot was reserved for Peyton.

Kubiaks loyalty to Schaub created a bad image to a large portion of the Houston fanbase. Schaubs contract extension was asinine. And worse yet was the failure to groom a suitable QB behind Schaub who had continually proven himself to be made of glass.

Brock may not be elite, but anything is possible. What is certain, is he will most likely be much better than the circus of QB'S we have trotted out onto the field the past two years. One might argue in favor of Fitzpatrick, but let's face it, his turn around started when he began playing for Obrien and he hasn't looked back. I'm confident Obrien will find ways to elevate Osweiler game, much like he has Fitz, Hoyer and Weeden who have all three improved under Obrien.

(This post was last modified: 03-14-2016, 10:46 PM by TurndownforWatt.)

Quote:Did Schaub ever even pass for 30 or more TDs in a season? Peyton from 2012 through 2014 was a better QB than Schaub has ever been. I'm glad your team missed its opportunity, but I also feel bad for you, because it was right there and the texans ownership and management showed just how stupid they are.

Lol.. and yet for how "stupid we are" we consistently finish ahead of your team and your brain trust.. why is that? Hell.. why didn't y'all sign Peyton? God knows and every other NFL Fan knows yall needed a NFL QB. We Actually had a caliber starter at the time Peyton was available.. your team had what..Blame Gabbert? Lol

I'm honestly not worried about Osweiler. They lost a big chunk of their OL which made their offense okay at times. I don't think adding Osweiler fixes that.

Tennessee is a lot scarier to me on paper. But their organization has been a mess since Fisher left.

Then we get to Indy, who may have the worst front office in the NFL.

Things are setting up well for us this year. I hope our defense takes the step up it needs to, especially with all these FA additions.

I still don't believe Manning was ever interested in coming to Houston. I know what he said, but I feel he was just going to use us to gauge the market & end up going somewhere else for more money anyway. He probably picked Houston, because he knew we didn't have any money. 

Sure, we could have shuffled some cards to find the money, but it would have been a practically gutted team. 

ImATexan

Quote:Yep, could have been the texans getting all the glory instead of the broncos. I still don't understand how stupid they could possibly be to turn down Peyton when he came knocking.

Kubiak and his miss placed loyalty to Ben Taub Schaub.

Quote:Lol.. and yet for how "stupid we are" we consistently finish ahead of your team and your brain trust.. why is that? Hell.. why didn't y'all sign Peyton? God knows and every other NFL Fan knows yall needed a NFL QB. We Actually had a caliber starter at the time Peyton was available.. your team had what..Blame Gabbert? Lol

You take insecurity to a whole new level. TurndownforWatt, the message board equivalent of the out of shape kid that comes in second to last at the mile run in gym class and can't admit he was still slow since someone else was even a little worse.

Osweiler drops back throws and Gipson intercepts it, and runs back for a touchdown!  Jaguars win the game!