Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags pursuing Mario Williams, is he worth the look?

Quote:It has been 3. You need 5 years to fix a defense? Dave is a good GM, but he also made the decision to completely gut the roster. If this year isn't the year we win 7-11 games, I can't find a reason to bring either the GM or HC back for another year.

The sole focus was on the offense for the first two drafts though. Not as many resources have been poured into the defensive side. Still no excuse for the poor play, that's for sure.
No commercial messages in sigs

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I would sign him at 10m/year
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

I would take the price on a shorter deal-2 -3 years.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

3 years, $30 mil, $10 mil guaranteed

'02

Quote:3 years, $30 mil, $10 mil guaranteed
^this, and add in some incentives for sacks to add motivation.

I wouldn't, he's 31. We shoulda keep the theme of building a young team through the draft, we're in no rush. If we were a team like Seattle, Minnesota or New Englend where we could use 1 or 2 solid veterans to get use to the super bowl than by all means. It sucked seeing Olivier Vernon get tagged, he would've been perfect. We need FAs that can give us more than just 2 solid years like Mario will and Clemens did. Although with Gus in the hot seat, he could hit the table for guys like Mario or over pay for guys like Malik jus to keep his job safe for another year rather than continue to build for the future.

Quote:I think he's worth it

I think he's worth it, sign him and let him play the "Michael Bennett" role, rush him inside and outside, the guy is still a freak and matchup nightmare.

That sounds good.. I just hope he can still play at a high level if we do get him.. It seem like big name free agents always come to jax to collect a big check dont play well then retire.. Like Aaron Kampman,Tory Holt, Hugh Douglas etc.

Quote:I wouldn't, he's 31. We shoulda keep the theme of building a young team through the draft, we're in no rush. If we were a team like Seattle, Minnesota or New Englend where we could use 1 or 2 solid veterans to get use to the super bowl than by all means. It sucked seeing Olivier Vernon get tagged, he would've been perfect. We need FAs that can give us more than just 2 solid years like Mario will and Clemens did. Although with Gus in the hot seat, he could hit the table for guys like Mario or over pay for guys like Malik jus to keep his job safe for another year rather than continue to build for the future.
I don't feel having a vet on a shorter term deal would disrupt the build process, assuming any deal is not structured beyond his remaining productive years.  If he gives 2 solid years and then departs, great.   

Quote:I wouldn't, he's 31. We shoulda keep the theme of building a young team through the draft, we're in no rush. If we were a team like Seattle, Minnesota or New Englend where we could use 1 or 2 solid veterans to get use to the super bowl than by all means. It sucked seeing Olivier Vernon get tagged, he would've been perfect. We need FAs that can give us more than just 2 solid years like Mario will and Clemens did. Although with Gus in the hot seat, he could hit the table for guys like Mario or over pay for guys like Malik jus to keep his job safe for another year rather than continue to build for the future.

Remind me how many season tickets you have?

That's what I thought.

This "I'll sign anywhere for 10 million" makes him sound desperate and makes me even more weary of signing him.

He's basically saying I don't care where I go, what the system is, who the coaches are....I just want 10 million dollars.

He could possibly be a good mentor to Fowler. I think he still has a bit left in the tank, and maybe get motivated a bit more being in the same division as Texas. Big improvement over Clemmons, plus if they rotate him in and out and keep him fresh I dont think he'd be a wasted addition

Blakes Life Matters

Quote:This "I'll sign anywhere for 10 million" makes him sound desperate and makes me even more weary of signing him.

He's basically saying I don't care where I go, what the system is, who the coaches are....I just want 10 million dollars.
This x100. 

Buyer beware….

15 solos and 5 sacks in 15 games last year. I don't know.  I think you're paying for a name with those numbers at $10M a year.  

I missed the $10M guaranteed.  Probably worth the look at only $10M guaranteed.  I mean Odrick got $22M guaranteed.

Quote:This "I'll sign anywhere for 10 million" makes him sound desperate and makes me even more weary of signing him.

Yep. Hugh Douglas. 2.0

But some people know his name so he's the guy, lol....

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote:Yep. Hugh Douglas. 2.0

But some people know his name so he's the guy, lol....

I have some concerns about the idea of signing Williams, but if we could get him at $10 Million guaranteed in a contract like Jags02 mentioned, don't think we could call that Douglas 2.0 even if he stinks. Douglas took us for about that much in 2003 dollars. Cap was about half what it is now. 

<p class="bbc_left">Education is the cheap defense of nations. - Edmund Burke

<p class="bbc_left"> 

<p class="bbc_left">Or is it from Burke? I tried finding the source, and looked through some of his writings, no luck. Anybody with google-fu got a citation of the source?

I am sure his agent would love if the Jags signed him. Over 30 and has motivation issues in the past. Sounds like fleecing the Jags on the way out seems run up his alley.

Absolutely.  He is not the "young" Mario Williams anymore.  Could he possibly be a short-to-medium term option or insurance?  Possibly... for the right price.  Is he the only option at this point?  Not really.

The key thing when it comes to free agents is to look at value vs. production and/or future production.  You don't spend money just because you have it, and you don't spend money "betting" on the next season.  Look at Washington as an example.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 03-07-2016, 06:13 PM by JaG4LyFe.)

Front load it too so if need be we can fire away in free agency in a year or two. For all the knuckleheads hating, it's a stop gap move as we're not going to get five starters out of this draft. It's got to be JPP, Williams or Ware; so pick one. IMO, Oliver is a nice player but won't be worth the long term contract that he's seeking.
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

What's up with all the talk about Mario being 31? It's not like he's a flipping Rb. 31 isn't that old!