Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags pursuing Mario Williams, is he worth the look?

Prisco has been beating him up on Twitter over the last week saying after watching the tape that he takes a lot of plays off.  Doesn't sound like someone we'd be seriously pursuing if true.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:What's up with all the talk about Mario being 31? It's not like he's a flipping Rb. 31 isn't that old!
Unmotivated older player stinks a lot like Hugh Douglas is why it should be brought up.

Quote:Prisco has been beating him up on Twitter over the last week saying after watching the tape that he takes a lot of plays off.  Doesn't sound like someone we'd be seriously pursuing if true.
That was the knock on him coming out of college! He's been highly productive outside of 2015. He was misused as a 3-4

olb and asked to drop back in coverage. That's not playing to his strengths!

I will take Mario Williams taking 75% of his plays off versus Andre Branch playing 100% of the time.

His sack totals since entering the league

2006 4.5

2007 14

2008 12

2009 9

2010 8.5

2011 5 (in only 5 games played before injured)

2012 10.5

2013 13

2014 14.5

2015 5

He is averaging 9.5 sacks a year.  Pay Da Man.  He was miscast last year

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(This post was last modified: 03-08-2016, 08:07 AM by Mowerguy.)

The future belongs to the younger up and coming players.

These older guys looking for the big payday just rarely work out......especially for the Jags.

I'd just rather see Dave & Gus pick a few, well vetted, hard working  FA's.

And concentrate on the next two years of drafts along with retaining our players coming up for new contracts next year.

Face it, the Jags have endured the hard years and things are finally looking better in the next couple years.

"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

He'd certainly be worth putting in the rotation.  More talent than anyone we started last season at "LEO."

Plug him at "LEO," move Fowler around, and add more talent behind them.  Both behind them at RDE and behind them on the second level.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Yes. He was miscast in Buffalo last year. His skill set should allow him to be a productive player for another few years/

He was not the Buffalo mascot.. smh! jeesh!
You Gotta Be Able To Run Da' Rock~

Same concept as Chris Clemons several years ago. It was just reported that we have serious interest in both Malik Jackson & J.R. Sweezy.

<b>We Believe In Victory..</b>

Guy was unhappy being played in a "3-4 being paraded around as a 4-3" defense last year and I don't blame him. That's the biggest reason he walked away from Houston outside of the money.

Bring him in. We have the money and the room for error to do so. Not to mention, Mario Williams can teach Fowler a thing or two.

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

We're kinda similAr to a 3-4 parading as a 4-3
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:We're kinda similAr to a 3-4 parading as a 4-3
I look at the Jaguars defense as a 4-3 that contains some 3-4 elements but it's not like the Bills, who were a 4-3 but came out in literal 3-4 packages more often than not

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

Quote:I look at the Jaguars defense as a 4-3 that contains some 3-4 elements but it's not like the Bills, who were a 4-3 but came out in literal 3-4 packages more often than not

As long as Williams rushes the passer every down he will be happy. We could do that.

Still wouldn't sign him though. If we were going risk rather we went jpp.

(This post was last modified: 03-08-2016, 04:37 AM by GlockBortles.)

Quote:I have a strange feeling Jaguar fans will be left scratching their heads after this free agency period is over. Hope I am wrong.
Yep i agree. despite all the money i dont feel strongly about this period

Quote:At his old age he will help with our Super Bowl run this upcoming season. You can never have enough pass rushing DEs being rotated so they are fresh and well rested to rush the passer. Chhhhhammmppppiiioonnshiiiiippp.

Yeah, but if they dont get to the qb whats the point?

Quote:It has been 3. You need 5 years to fix a defense? Dave is a good GM, but he also made the decision to completely gut the roster. If this year isn't the year we win 7-11 games, I can't find a reason to bring either the GM or HC back for another year. 
Dave has spent the bulk of the time he has been here in fixing the offense. We now have (what appears to be) our franchise quarterback plus some good receivers and a decent RB. The decision to gut the roster was necessary to move on from the disaster created largely (though not exclusively) by Gene Smith. It was made very clear at the time of the decision that this would not be a typical 'quick fix' as seen so often around the NFL. It would require years to undo the dumpster fire that the team had been turned into.

Now Dave is going to largely focus on the defense, but make no mistake; it will take at least a couple of years to get it back on it's feet, much less make it a defense to be reckoned with as it once was in years past. Those who think that this would be a quick turnaround with Fowler on the field for the first time, or the return of Mack, or even any mid range f/a acquisition, or getting some good draft picks... are simply not thinking realistically.

*Fowler is essentially a 1st season rookie and the expectations of him should be no higher.

*Mack is an unknown quantity at this point. It would be great if he had a great showing this season but we don't know what to expect.

*We will probably get some f/a help this season but I wouldn't expect too much from it.

*We will almost certainly get some good picks via the draft... but the norm is for rookies to take at least a couple of years before they really contribute.

The probability is that we're looking at another sub .500 season. It is possible that we might crack 8-8, but I don't think I'd bet the house on it. Essentially, we're still in building mode...it's the defenses turn now. Let's also not forget that we still need serious help on our o-line too. I'd look for us to go 6-10, or maybe even 7-9 this season.

Another sub .500 season will more than likely spell the end of the tenure of Gus Bradley here though. Which means that we would be getting a new HC and the new HC will probably want to replace other coaches and bring his people in. That means next season (2017) would be spent learning the 'new' system (provided the new HC replaces our current OC). So in this scenario it looks like things should come together for us in 2018...two years from now.

We knew patience would be required to rebuild this club the right way, and we've turned a significant corner already. Let's hope for the best; it would be great if we had a great season this year. We'll see.

Mario is still available.

http://nfltraderumors.co/mario-williams-...ay-giants/

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

I think he'd have a lot of motivation to play the Texans twice a year.  Plus he has 30+ games against AFC south teams.

I think he could do well, maybe 7 or 8 sack guy for 2 years.  Give him 18 to 20 million over two years and the ability to cut him after a year.  Dave has been signing a lot of 3 year deals that actually are 1 or 2 year deals with little risk to the team.

Consider Clemons was getting 4.5 million this year and isn't on the roster. 

(This post was last modified: 03-08-2016, 11:20 AM by Bullseye.)

I'd love to see a pass rush rotation here in Jacksonville featuring Mario Williams, Irvin, Fowler, R. Davis, S. Marks, Bennett, perhaps even Malik Jackson, with Myles Jack at MLB.

It would possibly be the fastest LB trio in team history (with the Shack and Jack era trio of M. Pete, Justin Durant and D. Smith a possible exception), and possibly the best group of pass rushers, too.

For 2 seasons, in our scheme, Mario Williams will be worth 10 million a year. 

Mario...they had their chance.  Just hear us out!!!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...n-tuesday/