Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NCAA Not Happy With Michigan's Spring Break Practices

I'm sure kids just hate the idea of a free trip to Florida for a week for spring practices rather than conducting the spring practices in chilly Ann Arbor.

Keep making mountains out of molehills folks.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

You're just going to keep ignoring the fact that the issue is their spring break, not that they are getting this awesome, fabulous, fun filled, free trip to Florida that you are trying to make it out to be, aren't you?
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(This post was last modified: 02-22-2016, 10:39 AM by Deacon.)

So! This discussion seems to be progressing nicely.

Welp, see ya later!

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:You're just going to keep ignoring the fact that the issue is their spring break, not that they are getting this awesome, fabulous, fun filled, free trip to Florida that you are trying to make it out to be, aren't you?
That was my whole point to begin with. Practice in Florida, fine, in my opinion. But don't take the kids spring break.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote:You're just going to keep ignoring the fact that the issue is their spring break, not that they are getting this awesome, fabulous, fun filled, free trip to Florida that you are trying to make it out to be, aren't you?

How does a free trip to Florida not somehow cross some NCAA violation?  lol...I mean they are talking about trips to beaches, golfing trips, and who knows what else they will be getting out of the trip.  It just seems odd to me that all this can be done within NCAA guidelines.  Not just for Michigan, but now with OSU coming to Jacksonville....they are either going to pass a by law not allowing this to happen or there are going to be so many teams in Florida on their spring breaks that it's going to over saturate the state for talent.

Quote:I'm sure the kids are so mad that they have to leave beautiful Michigan weather in early March and go spend it, all expenses paid for, in chilly Florida.

It's funny that NOW the NCAA cares about the students. What about when students have to practice for bowl games during finals week or basketball teams do out-of-the-country summer break tours?

Thank You !!!    You pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Quote:That was my whole point to begin with. Practice in Florida, fine, in my opinion. But don't take the kids spring break.

You do realize the intensity of the practices is going to be very limited.

As a 20 year old student-athlete, I'd much rather hang with my friends/teammates on a free trip to Florida, then do pretty much anything else.

Harbaugh is a genius !!   Those kids are going to have a great time while Michigan is marketing their program in the State of Florida.

Quote:How does a free trip to Florida not somehow cross some NCAA violation?  lol...I mean they are talking about trips to beaches, golfing trips, and who knows what else they will be getting out of the trip.  It just seems odd to me that all this can be done within NCAA guidelines.  Not just for Michigan, but now with OSU coming to Jacksonville....they are either going to pass a by law not allowing this to happen or there are going to be so many teams in Florida on their spring breaks that it's going to over saturate the state for talent.
Ohio State, from what I understand is running it as a camp, over the summer.

;

Quote:You do realize the intensity of the practices is going to be very limited.

As a 20 year old student-athlete, I'd much rather hang with my friends/teammates on a free trip to Florida, then do pretty much anything else.

Harbaugh is a genius !!   Those kids are going to have a great time while Michigan is marketing their program in the State of Florida.
It's all about marketing, no doubt. Do it while not taking the kids spring breaks away, then personally I'd have no problem. I understand how nice that it can be to get away completely for a week. It's huge.

;

"Harbaugh also said that by practicing during Michigan's spring break, both winter finals weeks this semester will feature zero football -- allowing players to focus solely on their exams.

"Those will be discretionary weeks so our guys can focus and concentrate on finals," he said. "Then, we'll be outside, we'll be in Florida, we'll go to the beach. It'll be a good time for the team to connect and be together."

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ss..._week.html

The trade off is fine for the student-athletes, especially when you consider the getting to spend a week in Florida part.

Quote:That was my whole point to begin with. Practice in Florida, fine, in my opinion. But don't take the kids spring break.

There are two sides to every story.

"Everybody's going to get a spring break," he said. "There won't be a youngster who can't afford to fly somewhere and not enjoy a spring break."

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ss..._week.html

Quote:How does a free trip to Florida not somehow cross some NCAA violation?  lol...I mean they are talking about trips to beaches, golfing trips, and who knows what else they will be getting out of the trip.  It just seems odd to me that all this can be done within NCAA guidelines.  Not just for Michigan, but now with OSU coming to Jacksonville....they are either going to pass a by law not allowing this to happen or there are going to be so many teams in Florida on their spring breaks that it's going to over saturate the state for talent.

You and Bchbunnie should settle on a story. Are they going to be doing fun things in Florida or not?

Quote:It's all about marketing, no doubt. Do it while not taking the kids spring breaks away, then personally I'd have no problem. I understand how nice that it can be to get away completely for a week. It's huge.

Do you understand how nice it is to leave Michigan in March and spend a week in Florida?

Do you understand how nice it is to not have to worry about football practice during either Finals week?

There are tradeoffs not being considered by you guys.

(This post was last modified: 02-22-2016, 04:27 PM by TravC59.)

Quote:Do you understand how nice it is to leave Michigan in March and spend a week in Florida?

Do you understand how nice it is to not have to worry about football practice during either Finals week?

I understand first hand how nice it is to get a spring break and not worry at all about football, classes, etc. for a week. It is one of the few weeks in the entire year like that. Say what you will about how nice it is to get to Florida during their spring break. It is one thing to go to Florida as a college kid for spring break, and another to go to Florida for spring break and still have football duties to attend to. NCAA president seems to agree.

I have gone out of my way on other threads about Harbaugh and how much i love him and the things he is doing for the Michigan program, but him taking the kids spring break away is wrong.

;

Quote:I understand first hand how nice it is to get a spring break and not worry at all about football, classes, etc. for a week. It is one of the few weeks in the entire year like that. Say what you will about how nice it is to get to Florida during their spring break. It is one thing to go to Florida as a college kid for spring break, and another to go to Florida for spring break and still have football duties to attend to. NCAA president seems to agree.

I have gone out of my way on other threads about Harbaugh and how much i love him and the things he is doing for the Michigan program, but him taking the kids spring break away is wrong.

You didn't answer my questions. 

Quote:Do you understand how nice it is to leave Michigan in March and spend a week in Florida?

It'd be great to leave Michigan in March to go to Florida. Not having to practice during finals week is good, but that's not a huge deal in reality. Kids practice and take tests and finals all the time. It's not a huge deal to be honest.

And again, I know how great it is to have spring break off. No thought of football, working out, classes, etc., for a whole week. One of the rare weeks in a college football players lives. It is a great time to rest and relax and get ready for the off season stretch of lifting and running and the new season. Again, Emmert seems to agree. Harbaugh is wrong here, still.

;

Quote:It'd be great to leave Michigan in March to go to Florida. Not having to practice during finals week is good, but that's not a huge deal in reality. Kids practice and take tests and finals all the time. It's not a huge deal to be honest.

And again, I know how great it is to have spring break off. No thought of football, working out, classes, etc., for a whole week. One of the rare weeks in a college football players lives. It is a great time to rest and relax and get ready for the off season stretch of lifting and running and the new season. Again, Emmert seems to agree. Harbaugh is wrong here, still.

Do you agree with everything Emmert says?

(This post was last modified: 02-22-2016, 05:14 PM by TravC59.)

Quote:Do you agree with everything Emmert says?
Absolutely not. Doesn't matter if I do or not either. I don't agree with laws that are out there, I didn't always agree with my parents when I was growing up, I didn't always agree with the principal and his/her decisions, I don't always agree with what my boss says or wants or asks us to do. I don't always agree with you from time to time either.

;

Quote:Absolutely not. Doesn't matter if I do or not either. I don't agree with laws that are out there, I didn't always agree with my parents when I was growing up, I didn't always agree with the principal and his/her decisions, I don't always agree with what my boss says or wants or asks us to do. I don't always agree with you from time to time either.

Well then miss me with the appeal to authority as if Emmert disagreeing with it means that what Jim is doing is unethical.

Quote:Well then miss me with the appeal to authority as if Emmert disagreeing with it means that what Jim is doing is unethical.
That is not what he inferred at all.

;