Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
CB Rashean Mathis announced his retirement.

(This post was last modified: 02-17-2016, 05:05 PM by UCF Knight.)

Quote:The following is an excellent article on Rashean Mathis'  impact with the Lions the last 3 seasons.   Though, like so many others around the United States/ NFL world,  Kyle Meinke underrated  Rashean Mathis'  play with the Jaguars.   Mathis is a very difficult player to replace because of what he provides from an intangible standpoint:

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/201...iver_index

Good article except for the he was never really a star slight.  If he was in a bigger market for those few big years when he was in Jax he would have been a consistent pro bowler.

Edit:  As much as people forget how good Rashean was for a time, I almost forget how bad he was when the Jaguars let him go.  At times I would get so frustrated with his play...he would 'ole so many tackles and he looked like he had become afraid of contact.  It had become unexplainable from earlier in his career.  I was glad to see he was able to resurrect himself a bit in Detroit.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Good article except for the he was never really a star slight.  If he was in a bigger market for those few big years when he was in Jax he would have been a consistent pro bowler.

Edit:  As much as people forget how good Rashean was for a time, I almost forget how bad he was when the Jaguars let him go.  At times I would get so frustrated with his play...he would 'ole so many tackles and he looked like he had become afraid of contact.  It had become unexplainable from earlier in his career.  I was glad to see he was able to resurrect himself a bit in Detroit.

I think the combination of Rashean Mathis playing in a small market and the Jaguars having a relatively small fan base at the time because the team was still relatively new contributed greatly to him not being in more Pro Bowls.   If Mathis played for the Steelers during last decade,  he probably would have made several Pro Bowls.  

My guess is Rashean Mathis didn't perform well in his final season with the Jaguars was because he was still recovering from the torn ACL he suffered the previous November.    Adrian Peterson is much more of the exception than the norm of players that get back to their pre-injury level before a year goes by after a torn ACL occurs.    Being that Mathis didn't sign with the Lions until after the 2nd pre-season game in 2013,  chances are he was still struggling with the knee early in the 2013 FA period.    Otherwise,  he probably would have signed a contract with an NFL team well before the pre-season was under way.  

Quote:  I think the combination of Rashean Mathis playing in a small market and the Jaguars having a relatively small fan base at the time because the team was still relatively new contributed greatly to him not being in more Pro Bowls.   If Mathis played for the Steelers during last decade,  he probably would have made several Pro Bowls.  

My guess is Rashean Mathis didn't perform well in his final season with the Jaguars was because he was still recovering from the torn ACL he suffered the previous November.    Adrian Peterson is much more of the exception than the norm of players that get back to their pre-injury level before a year goes by after a torn ACL occurs.    Being that Mathis didn't sign with the Lions until after the 2nd pre-season game in 2013,  chances are he was still struggling with the knee early in the 2013 FA period.    Otherwise,  he probably would have signed a contract with an NFL team well before the pre-season was under way.  

It wasn't just his final season though.  He had a bad 2-3 year run there to close out with the Jags.  It was a pretty steep decline and everyone thought it was one of those issues where he hit 30 and it was over for him.

He was decent. You guys just remember his Steeler games.

He was a trail technique corner back. He was never a shutdown corner. Even the year he had 8 picks he wasn't shutting people down.

Ocho Cinco mailed him some Pepto Bismol and scored against him.

Quote:He was decent. You guys just remember his Steeler games.

He was a trail technique corner back. He was never a shutdown corner. Even the year he had 8 picks he wasn't shutting people down.

Ocho Cinco mailed him some Pepto Bismol and scored against him.
And Rashean Mathis literally made him cry. Who do you think got the better of who?

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

Quote:Good article except for the he was never really a star slight.  If he was in a bigger market for those few big years when he was in Jax he would have been a consistent pro bowler.

Tackling wasn't Rashean Mathis' strong suit during his 2 1/2 seasons of game action with the Lions.   But based on what you mentioned,  he improved in that facet of play compared to his last year or two with the Jaguars.  From a coverage standpoint,   I gladly would take Mathis' play in 2013 and 2014 from one of the CB positions.   A major reason the Lions ended up losing the playoff game to the Cowboys in the 2014 season is Mathis missed around half the game with an injury.   During that time,  the Cowboys cut their deficit on the scoreboard by more than half. 

Tackling wasnt any of our backfield strong suit. While he played. Mathis is a man above boys and a class act! Def deserves to be in the Pride. But so does Jimmy!
Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

And another Jag great retires.

Thanks for the memories Rashean.

"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

Jim Caldwell offered the following comments about Rashean Mathis:

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/sports/20...ean-mathis

Detroit Lions — Jim Caldwell praises Rashean Mathis