Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Calvin Johnson retires

Quote: The Lions had good teams in most of the 1990's. 6 playoff teams in total. The QB position, Offensive Line issues, and a disproportionate amount of injuries all contributed heavily to the Lions only winning one playoff game in that time span.

No I'm with you. It's just interesting to see who really knows what they are talking about. Most people have no clue that those Detroit teams were good and Barry was the driving force with the production he had. They just think Detroit has sucked their whole existence lol. That is just not the case.

When a player like Barry Sanders is on your team that is impossible to happen and it makes full sense why he is a HOF player. He made either the first team or second team all pro list in all ten years he played. That is amazing. Calvin just did not do anything close to this although he was a very good player. Hell maybe even great. I just don't personally believe he should be HOF. What do you think?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:No I'm with you. It's just interesting to see who really knows what they are talking about. Most people have no clue that those Detroit teams were good and Barry was the driving force with the production he had. They just think Detroit has sucked their whole existence lol. That is just not the case.

When a player like Barry Sanders is on your team that is impossible to happen and it makes full sense why he is a HOF player. He made either the first team or second team all pro list in all ten years he played. That is amazing. Calvin just did not do anything close to this although he was a very good player. Hell maybe even great. I just don't personally believe he should be HOF. What do you think?

The people who can't remember Detroit being good are much younger than D6 and root for other teams. Many of them just know the Lions never played in the Super Bowl. I know they had some good years, but those times are overshadowed by the decades of failures since Barry Sanders retired.

Quote:No I'm with you. It's just interesting to see who really knows what they are talking about. Most people have no clue that those Detroit teams were good and Barry was the driving force with the production he had. They just think Detroit has sucked their whole existence lol. That is just not the case.

One thing for sure,  those that believe the Lions were always a bad team also have no idea about the team's history in the 1950's when the team won 3 NFL Championships.  It's before I was born but every NFL season counts as part of league history.

Regarding the Lions in the 1990's,  in a relatively recent thread in the AFC South part of the Forum,  there was a discussion about those teams in the following thread about the Texans:

http://jungle.jaguars.com/index.php?/top...uit/page-2

My case for Calvin Johnson deserving to be in the HOF is based on not only the fantastic plays he made in countless games..  One of them that jagherd described in this thread.   But also on the amount of coverage and attention that went Calvin's way.   Opposing Defensive Coordinators often couldn't sleep in the days leading up to a game against the Lions when Calvin Johnson wasn't dealing with one or more injuries that significantly limited him.   Back in the 2011 season when Gregg Williams was the Saints Defensive Coordinator,  he put two defenders on Calvin at the line of scrimmage in the red zone.  I've never seen anything like that against any other Offensive skill player.   

Two other thoughts to consider:

1.   Up until the 2014 season,  in the games that Calvin Johnson missed,   the Lions Offense was basically shutdown in the overwhelming majority of those games.   It was ugly.

2.   Other than when Jahvid Best was relatively healthy in his brief 2 seasons with the Lions back in 2010 and 2011,   the Lions never truly had the RB threat that complimented Calvin in the passing game.   Ameer Abdullah has major upside but doesn't have that ultra breakaway gear that Best had.   On the other hand,  Randy Moss played with Robert Smith or Michael Bennett during his time with the Vikings.   

Like Barry Sanders,  Robert Smith left the NFL in a relatively healthy state with the vast majority of his skills intact.

Quote: One thing for sure, those that believe the Lions were always a bad team also have no idea about the team's history in the 1950's when the team won 3 NFL Championships. It's before I was born but every NFL season counts as part of league history.

Regarding the Lions in the 1990's, in a relatively recent thread in the AFC South part of the Forum, there was a discussion about those teams in the following thread about the Texans:

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://jungle.jaguars.com/index.php?/topic/16300-texans-fold-like-a-cheap-suit/page-2'>http://jungle.jaguars.com/index.php?/topic/16300-texans-fold-like-a-cheap-suit/page-2</a>

My case for Calvin Johnson deserving to be in the HOF is based on not only the fantastic plays he made in countless games.. One of them that jagherd described in this thread. But also on the amount of coverage and attention that went Calvin's way. Opposing Defensive Coordinators often couldn't sleep in the days leading up to a game against the Lions when Calvin Johnson wasn't dealing with one or more injuries that significantly limited him. Back in the 2011 season when Gregg Williams was the Saints Defensive Coordinator, he put two defenders on Calvin at the line of scrimmage in the red zone. I've never seen anything like that against any other Offensive skill player.

Two other thoughts to consider:

1. Up until the 2014 season, in the games that Calvin Johnson missed, the Lions Offense was basically shutdown in the overwhelming majority of those games. It was ugly.

2. Other than when Jahvid Best was relatively healthy in his brief 2 seasons with the Lions back in 2010 and 2011, the Lions never truly had the RB threat that complimented Calvin in the passing game. Ameer Abdullah has major upside but doesn't have that ultra breakaway gear that Best had. On the other hand, Randy Moss played with Robert Smith or Michael Bennett during his time with the Vikings.

Like Barry Sanders, Robert Smith left the NFL in a relatively healthy state with the vast majority of his skills intact.

That is definitely great points I just thought a person with his skill set would have done way more. Im sure they will put him in the HOF but to me this is the case of a really good player getting in versus a really great player getting in. Honestly if he plays another 3 years and reaches that top 12 in those categories I'm all for it. Right now though top 27 in receiving yards isn't gonna cut it for me.

Quote:That is definitely great points I just thought a person with his skill set would have done way more. Im sure they will put him in the HOF but to me this is the case of a really good player getting in versus a really great player getting in. Honestly if he plays another 3 years and reaches that top 12 in those categories I'm all for it. Right now though top 27 in receiving yards isn't gonna cut it for me.

top 27 in receiving yards, but look at how many seasons the guys above and below him have played in almost all cases its a minimum of 2 more seasons the closest comparison I saw was Holt.  His average game yards was the 2nd highest behind Julio Jones, which doesn't consider that Julio has played 5 less seasons.  

Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

Quote:That is definitely great points I just thought a person with his skill set would have done way more. Im sure they will put him in the HOF but to me this is the case of a really good player getting in versus a really great player getting in. Honestly if he plays another 3 years and reaches that top 12 in those categories I'm all for it. Right now though top 27 in receiving yards isn't gonna cut it for me.

Thanks.

Our discussion is likely reflective of what will be discussed when the HOF voters decide whether to vote Calvin Johnson into the HOF if Calvin doesn't play another NFL game.   Though I believe Calvin Johnson will be elected to the HOF sooner rather than later once he becomes eligible,  it might take 3 or 4 years once he is eligible to get enough votes. 

Lions without megatron will be a lot less entertaining Sad I wish him the best in his life but I do hope to see him play again.

Quote:I do not agree with the article. But watch the video its the play you are talking about.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/02/detroit-lions-calvin-johnson-career-stats-retiring'>http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/02/detroit-lions-calvin-johnson-career-stats-retiring</a>

^Thanx man! I thought I was remembering that correctly. He physically was just superior on that play. His size, jump height, and hands were just more than the Bengals defenders could produce.

Both Cincy safeties were on him (Reggie Nelson and George Iloka), with Burfict right there too. Adam Jones came into the play but was too far out to really be a factor.

Anyway, Johnson's physical traits were what won that play. Thanks Docker.

Quote:Lions without Megatron will be a lot less entertaining. I wish him the best in his life but I do hope to see him play again.

When he retires, it most likely will be permanent. Most players don't come back.

Quote:top 27 in receiving yards, but look at how many seasons the guys above and below him have played in almost all cases its a minimum of 2 more seasons the closest comparison I saw was Holt. His average game yards was the 2nd highest behind Julio Jones, which doesn't consider that Julio has played 5 less seasons.

I was reading an article about this. A better indicator would be games played not seasons in this case only because a lot of the guys in this number range have not many more games played.

(This post was last modified: 02-02-2016, 05:55 PM by Dockerill91.)

Quote:^Thanx man! I thought I was remembering that correctly. He physically was just superior on that play. His size, jump height, and hands were just more than the Bengals defenders could produce.

Both Cincy safeties were on him (Reggie Nelson and George Iloka), with Burfict right there too. Adam Jones came into the play but was too far out to really be a factor.

Anyway, Johnson's physical traits were what won that play. Thanks Docker.

No worries, watching that video, that ability to attack the ball at high point actually reminds me of our very own Arob. 

Dont get me wrong Megatron has a lot more about him than Arob, but just watching it made me thing on Robinson.