Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Calvin Johnson retires

One huge difference with the circumstances with Barry Sanders'  retirement and where Calvin Johnson is at present is Barry's retirement announcement came right before Training Camp began.  It made it extremely difficult for the Lions to compensate in terms of personnel moves.    Despite that,  the Lions actually started the 1999 season at 8-4 before injuries derailed the team's season.   The Lions made the playoffs despite an 8-8 record but lost the First Round playoff game to the Redskins in a game that the score ( 27-13 ) was closer than the actual game.   During that regular season,  the Lions beat the eventual Super Bowl Champion St. Louis Rams and the same Redskins team that the Lions lost to in the playoffs.  

In Calvin Johnson's case,  the Lions have the entire off-season to start preparing for football life w/o Calvin Johnson.   Even if by chance he does decide to play this season,  the Lions need to prepare for a future w/o him.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

In this era of the NFL, there truly is a "logjam" of WRs developing for HOF consideration. This is purely due to the outrageous numbers (receptions, yards, TDs) that are being generated by WRs on just about every team in the league these days. Excellent numbers a WR may have posted more than 10 years ago, is now becoming standard/pedestrian within this era.

Seriously, look at how many WRs around the league these days will finish with a gaudy numbers:

(Julio, AJ Green, ARob, Antonio, Hopkins, etc.). There is alot. Are they all going to be HOF WRs due to numbers form this era?

Regardless of his numbers (or maybe lack thereof), Calvin should be HOF.

His presence on the field was just incredible almost every game. There are many WRs in this era that may post excellent numbers,, but they don't command/exude that incredible presence that Calvin and other special players created (Randy Moss,, Rice,, T.O. for example).

I remember watching Cincy @ Detroit a couple years back. That game became the Calvin/AJ Green show. Both of those guys put on a spectacular performance that day. AJ Green was almost unstoppable, putting up number after number. But, Calvin Johnson exuded a presence that was even greater. He was an absolute "man amongst boys" that day. He was making the impossible look like child's play. One play he made (there were many), he was triple teamed in the end zone near the goal line. Stafford basically just threw it up,, the triple team coverage was very good,, Calvin still made the incredible TD play.

He would get my vote/approval for HOF, absolutely.

Jagherd, all WR statistics have been going up because QBs are throwing the ball more. Few teams base their offenses on the run. Those who do usually have bad QBs.

In the days when 1,000 yards per year was considered elite, NFL seasons were only 14 games. Now that is much easier to do because two games were added to the schedule.

Quote:In this era of the NFL, there truly is a "logjam" of WRs developing for HOF consideration. This is purely due to the outrageous numbers (receptions, yards, TDs) that are being generated by WRs on just about every team in the league these days. Excellent numbers a WR may have posted more than 10 years ago, is now becoming standard/pedestrian within this era.

Seriously, look at how many WRs around the league these days will finish with a gaudy numbers:

(Julio, AJ Green, ARob, Antonio, Hopkins, etc.). There is alot. Are they all going to be HOF WRs due to numbers form this era?

His presence on the field was just incredible almost every game. There are many WRs in this era that may post excellent numbers,, but they don't command/exude that incredible presence that Calvin and other special players created (Randy Moss,, Rice,, T.O. for example).

I remember watching Cincy @ Detroit a couple years back. That game became the Calvin/AJ Green show. Both of those guys put on a spectacular performance that day. AJ Green was almost unstoppable, putting up number after number. But, Calvin Johnson exuded a presence that was even greater. He was an absolute "man amongst boys" that day. He was making the impossible look like child's play. One play he made (there were many), he was triple teamed in the end zone near the goal line. Stafford basically just threw it up,, the triple team coverage was very good,, Calvin still made the incredible TD play.

I agree. He is easily one of the best WRS I've watched in my lifetime. Statistically, he might struggle to get in. Hope to see him get in someday.
No commercial messages in sigs

Quote:In this era of the NFL, there truly is a "logjam" of WRs developing for HOF consideration. This is purely due to the outrageous numbers (receptions, yards, TDs) that are being generated by WRs on just about every team in the league these days. Excellent numbers a WR may have posted more than 10 years ago, is now becoming standard/pedestrian within this era.

You make a compelling agrument but after a review of his numbers I couldn't vote for him to be HOF (although I'm sure they will put him in anyway). The issue is his presence never quite made the team dominant. Moss transformed the Vikings and Pats. Brady never put up more than 28 tds and 3800 yards before Moss came to town. Calvin I feel just never quite had this level of impact. The impact we expected him to.

Don't get me wrong, he was a dominant player but the team never really became a force because of him quite like Moss, AJ Green, and TO were.

I doubt he would retire from a more successful franchise.

Losing takes its toll mentally, physically and spiritually.

Calvin Johnson - 721 receptions, 11,619 yards, 83 touchdowns (8 seasons)

Jimmy Smith - 862 receptions, 12,287 yards, 67 touchdowns (10 seasons)

I think Calvin Johnson should get in, but like Jimmy he will struggle in a statistical comparison against his peers.

I Could see a team like the Patriots/Cardinals/ Panthers making a low pick trade offer to offer him the chance of a ring. If that opportunity comes along, I think he takes it.

I think from a football standpoint this is good news for the Jacksonville Jaguars because if we wanted to trade back I can see the Lions trading up to our spot to draft Treadwell to replace Calvin Johnson.
[Image: giphy.gif]

(This post was last modified: 02-01-2016, 07:09 PM by realtorpat.)

I think he is a lock, 3 all-pro 6 time probowler in 9 seasons.  Commanded constant double n triple teams from day one.  came within 36 yards of a 2000 yard receiving season.

Kitna, JT O'Sullivan, Orlovsky, Henson, Stanton, Old broken Culpepper.  Were his qbs his first two years in the league.

Only in two playoff games because LIONS.. however one he went over 200 yards the other 85 and scored 2 tds.

In his 9 years in the league he had the second highest per game receiving yard average over a career.  Over a 9 year period.  

I don't favor WR's to be in the HOF because there are so many at this point but to think CJ is not a HOFer is stupid.

• NFL single-season record for most receiving yards (1,964, 2012)
  • Second most all time receiving yards in a game (329)
  • One of two players in NFL history with 5,000+ receiving yards in a 3-year period (Antonio Brown)
  • Pro football record for most career games with 200+ receiving yards (5, tied with Lance Alworth)
  • Detroit Lions all-time career leader in receiving yards and touchdowns
  • Fastest receiver to reach 10,000 receiving yards

Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

I do not agree with the article. But watch the video its the play you are talking about.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/02/detroit-...s-retiring

Quote:You make a compelling agrument but after a review of his numbers I couldn't vote for him to be HOF (although I'm sure they will put him in anyway). The issue is his presence never quite made the team dominant. Moss transformed the Vikings and Pats. Brady never put up more than 28 tds and 3800 yards before Moss came to town. Calvin I feel just never quite had this level of impact. The impact we expected him to.

Don't get me wrong, he was a dominant player but the team never really became a force because of him quite like Moss, AJ Green, and TO were.

Using  that logic, Barry Sanders should not be in the HOF. How many times did he take Detroit to the playoffs?

The Lions are trying to talk Calvin Johnson out of retirement.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...in-johnson

(This post was last modified: 02-01-2016, 11:16 PM by Etdavis2006.)

Quote:Using that logic, Barry Sanders should not be in the HOF. How many times did he take Detroit to the playoffs?
Here's the thing Barry is third in career rushing yards and 2x NFL mvp, 10 pro bowls, 6 all pros, 2000 in one season club, record for most 1500 yard seasons.... All within 10 seasons. Calvin had a good career but nothing close to this.

Calvin was very good but statistically and on the field he didn't transcend the game like he should have in my opinion.

I think this is the level of dominance that should be in the HOF not just really good players.

Quote:Using  that logic, Barry Sanders should not be in the HOF. How many times did he take Detroit to the playoffs?

Quote: 5

So basically half his career he mad it to the playoffs. Not bad

I wonder when Megatron will make it official.

Quote:So basically half his career he mad it to the playoffs. Not bad

The Lions had good teams in most of the 1990's.  6 playoff teams in total.   The QB position,  Offensive Line issues,  and a disproportionate amount of injuries all contributed heavily to the Lions only winning one playoff game in that time span.

Quote:I wonder when Megatron will make it official.

Probably not this week because of the Super Bowl.   But likely before the start of the FA period next month.  

Quote:The Lions had good teams in most of the 1990s. 6 playoff teams in total. The QB position, offensive line issues, and a disproportionate amount of injuries all contributed heavily to the Lions only winning one playoff game in that time span.

I have been seeing the Lions lose for so long and change coaches so many times it is easy to forget they were in the playoffs more than once during that decade.