Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Lovie Smith fired

I would love this signing!

Make it happen.

Does Gus and Lovie have any ties?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Lovie -or- Babich

I'll take Lovie

Quote:I just read on Twitter via @NFLSTROUD that Smith was fired via phone call.

Who the #### does that?!?!

Even with the terrific talent that Jameis Winston has, any coach would have to give serious thought to the risk of being the Bucs HC.   The term 'career suicide'  comes to mind.

Quote:These coaches have to be looking at Gus Bradley like [BAD WORD REMOVED]

Even if things don't end up working out with Gus Bradley,   I think the patience the Jaguars organization has shown with Bradley will pay dividends when attempting to attract the team's next HC.   

Quote:   Even with the terrific talent that Jameis Winston has, any coach would have to give serious thought to the risk of being the Bucs HC.   The term 'career suicide'  comes to mind.
I wouldn't call it suicide, especially because Lovie is going to make roughly $10M to do nothing for the next couple of years if he chooses to go that route, but coaching the Bucs certainly isn't what I'd consider a long-term career choice at this point.

Quote:Even if things don't end up working out with Gus Bradley,   I think the patience the Jaguars organization has shown with Bradley will pay dividends when attempting to attract the team's next HC.   
If things don't work out with Bradley, I suspect Khan won't be as patient with his successor. Partly because the rebuild will be "complete" at that point and success should come more quickly, and partly because I kind of doubt (and suspect he doubts as well) that the fan base has the patience for another four years of sub-mediocrity. If Bradley does end up fired, the next head coach will be an established guy, a "splash" signing.

Hire Lovie AND Monte Kiffen.

I actually hope marrone is still on the staff next season if Gus gets the axe. Marrone would be a it of a safety net for continuity and in my opinion, he represents an upgrade. I believe he is a very good coach.

Quote:I wouldn't call it suicide, especially because Lovie is going to make roughly $10M to do nothing for the next couple of years if he chooses to go that route, but coaching the Bucs certainly isn't what I'd consider a long-term career choice at this point.

If things don't work out with Bradley, I suspect Khan won't be as patient with his successor. Partly because the rebuild will be "complete" at that point and success should come more quickly, and partly because I kind of doubt (and suspect he doubts as well) that the fan base has the patience for another four years of sub-mediocrity. If Bradley does end up fired, the next head coach will be an established guy, a "splash" signing.

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:I wouldn't call it suicide, especially because Lovie is going to make roughly $10M to do nothing for the next couple of years if he chooses to go that route, but coaching the Bucs certainly isn't what I'd consider a long-term career choice at this point.

From a monetary standpoint,  $ 10 million is hard to overlook.   That's quite a payday!    Yet,  for most NFL Coaches,  career accomplishments are extremely important.    It's possible Lovie Smith will get another HC job in this cycle or next year.   But on the surface,  the firing in Tampa is a major setback for his NFL Coaching career.    The two previous Bucs HCs haven't even come close to becoming NFL HCs again,  at least at this point in time.  

Though I agree that Shad Khan's patience likely won't extend this far with the next Jags HC,   I still believe that the patience shown with Gus Bradley will increase the Jaguars options for their next HC.  Being able to make that ' splash'  signing of their choice would appear to be more likely because of the patience with Gus. 

As a bucs fan I have no issue with it, keeping Koetter is paramount, if Koetter wasnt getting feelers for a HC gig, Lovie would probably be safe right now.  Reminds me of what kind of happened when Raheem was getting feelers from Denver for the HC job and they [BLEEP] canned Gruden. 

The defense has looked bad this year for the most part, they gave up 7 30+ point games, they squandered away leads, lead the league in penalties, Lovie had questionable clock management in quite a few games.

I'm glad that Tampa at least knows when to cut bait instead of pissing away seasons doing [BLEEP] all.  If they can get Mike Smith on D who Koetter has worked with, I would be extremely happy.  

Quote:As a bucs fan I have no issue with it, keeping Koetter is paramount, if Koetter wasnt getting feelers for a HC gig, Lovie would probably be safe right now.  Reminds me of what kind of happened when Raheem was getting feelers from Denver for the HC job and they [BAD WORD REMOVED] canned Gruden. 

The defense has looked bad this year for the most part, they gave up 7 30+ point games, they squandered away leads, lead the league in penalties, Lovie had questionable clock management in quite a few games.

I'm glad that Tampa at least knows when to cut bait instead of [BAD WORD REMOVED] away seasons doing [BAD WORD REMOVED] all.  If they can get Mike Smith on D who Koetter has worked with, I would be extremely happy.  

Because keeping Raheem worked out so well for them.

Quote:As a bucs fan I have no issue with it, keeping Koetter is paramount, if Koetter wasnt getting feelers for a HC gig, Lovie would probably be safe right now.  Reminds me of what kind of happened when Raheem was getting feelers from Denver for the HC job and they [BAD WORD REMOVED] canned Gruden. 

I'm glad that Tampa at least knows when to cut bait instead of [BAD WORD REMOVED] away seasons doing [BAD WORD REMOVED] all.  If they can get Mike Smith on D who Koetter has worked with, I would be extremely happy.  

As a Bucs fan,  how would you rate the team's overall talent on Defense compared to the talent on Defense of other teams?    Especially,  when factoring their injury situation on Defense in 2015, in terms of which Defensive players were available on a game to game basis?

Quote: As a Bucs fan, how would you rate the team's overall talent on Defense compared to the talent on Defense of other teams? Especially, when factoring their injury situation on Defense in 2015, in terms of which Defensive players were available on a game to game basis?

Gotta blame drafting for this. The bucs kept taking defensive guys with red flags and guys that I think we're overrated.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:Dirk Koetter will be named HC. Save this post.
I think that's pretty much the mindset this morning. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Gotta blame drafting for this. The bucs kept taking defensive guys with red flags and guys that I think we're overrated.

Especially,  when combined with their 2012 FA spending spree on both sides of the ball that led to horrific results.   

Defensive Coordinator Leslie Frazier and both DB Coaches were also let go by the Bucs.   It does indeed look like the ' Tampa Two'  is leaving Tampa again:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...a-as-well/

Quote:I think that's pretty much the mindset this morning. 
My question is if the owners value Koetter over Smith, why not hire Koetter over Smith in the first place?!?  Too much about this move makes no sense.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 01-07-2016, 01:55 PM by Bullseye.)

Quote:I would love this signing!

Make it happen.

Does Gus and Lovie have any ties?
I think they worked together on the same coaching staff in Tampa.  Give me a sec...

Nope.

If they have ties, it's not through directly working together in Tampa.

They may have mutual associations...

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Doesn't it tell you everything that you need to know about Bucs ownership that they fired Jon Gruden in order to keep Raheem Morris!  Unbelievable.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

Quote:Doesn't it tell you everything that you need to know about Bucs ownership that they fired Jon Gruden in order to keep Raheem Morris!  Unbelievable.

Not really, because on the outside looking in, sure its Gruden for Morris (insanity) but when you look at the team at that time it really wasn't that bad of a decision.  I liked Gruden and didn't really like him being dropped but to be completely honest it was a team held up by Monte's defense period.  When they were having winning seasons in the mid 2000s - the time of Grudens firing, his offense would be bottom of the league in yards and averaging less than 20 a game...remember these are winning seasons which tells you how good that defense was.  

Morris came in and had a washed Barber, Buchanon, Will Allen and them boys looking like a legit unit  Kiffin decides he wants to coach with his son and leaves, and Morris is getting interest as a HC, well hell the defense looks more stacked than the offense (as it always has) and keeping Morris seemed like a better deal.  The team has drafted poorly and only picked up aging vets (though a lot of that has to do with cap issues brought on by McKay), but at the end of the day Allen was Gruden's boy which also hurts Gruden's position in staying.  

I think people get caught up on the name, but Gruden's offense did dick the whole time, and Morris seemed like an up and comer.  

Either way I dont think it's the same with Koetter, whereas Morris in 2008 had a group of old dogs he helped look good, Koetter is doing it with a young group of players who looks like they could be the core for awhile. 

Of course if they end up hiring someone like Kelly or Coughlin then all of this is moot and then I would think it's a stupid decision.

Quote:When the FO understands that the current coach is maxed out they make a decisive move. The Jags will eventually see this as an example of how they should've handled Sprinkles this year. Instead we get another season of Flat Gus.

This move is being universally panned.