Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The head of the snake

Quote:Hiring Babich and Fisch as coordinators were two massive mistakes from the beginning.

Makes you wonder, huh? Those were two strikes already. It doesn't look good for Gus, but yet he's still got a vote of confidence

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Okay he was actually 10-41 from 2009-2012 at NM State but just awful coach.

Do you know how bad NMSU always is like on the edge of going to division 2 Or does this just fit your bashing? Try actually doing some research before sounding dumb again
"Get Better Everyday"

Quote:For those with half-filled glasses, Fisch was replaced by Olson. If Gus hits another home run with a new DC and Dave improves the defensive roster, we may have nothing to gripe about.
but but... then no one can bash the gus bus.... it's not like he gets credit for hiring olsen and the offensive improvement but he should.

Quote:Okay he was actually 10-41 from 2009-2012 at NM State but just awful coach.

Ya...Las Cruces, NM. The oasis of the desert.
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

Quote:Hiring Babich and Fisch as coordinators were two massive mistakes from the beginning.

Sometimes you have to take who will come work for you. It's not like the world's great coordinators were lining up to work for Sprinkles.

Hell, Olson needed the work and Marrone probably thought he'd be the head coach some time last November.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:I don't think anyone could have coached the talent on this defense to much better than what we saw this year, but a head had to roll.  The sacrificial offering has been made.  It's not going to be enough for some.

I keep hearing this, but it sounds like there was some stubbornness in changing the scheme minus small changes towards the end of the season to try to get more pressure.

We didn't need a world beater defense to have a better year, all we needed was an average, even below average defense. Our offense scored enough points to win a lot of games. It was the stubbornness of the coaching staff to continue to run a defense we clearly didn't have the personnel for that is to blame IMO.

We gave up an average of 28 points per game this year and averaged 23.5 points per game on the offensive side of the ball. Even a small difference would have yielded 3-4 more wins where we arguabally scored enough points to warrant a win in the NFL.

Specifically:

Bucs 38 - Jaguars - 31

Chargers 31 - Jaguars 25

Titans 42 - Jaguars 39

Jets 28 - Jaguars 23 

Quote:Two pieces in two different offseasons cut.

Fisch: An unproven college coach who fizzled out in the NFL. Rumors of belittling the QB were reported more than once.

Babich: A bad track record in the NFL. He was on his way out in Chicago before good old Gus hired him. This Gus is partially responsible for this team finishing near the bottom of the league 3 consecutive years.

So who is responsible for hiring these failures? Is it a Dave and Gus combo or is Gus mostly responsible. Admitting your offensive coordinator and Defensive coordinator were mistakes is a critical error especially for a young football team.

Dave blamed himself. He forms the head of Jagtron.

Quote:Dave blamed himself. He forms the head of Jagtron.

Can we refer to him as Black Jaguar then? Or are we doing the vehicle version?

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

the head of the snake is Caldwell

Newly hired head coaches tend to have to put a staff together quickly, so they go with guys they've worked with previously.  Babich got Gus into coaching at the collegiate level, and was somewhat of a mentor to Bradley early on as a coach.  They're close.

Fisch and Gus worked together on the Tampa staff, and developed a rapport. 

In both cases, the hires weren't really a surprise based on the history there, and the need to build a staff quickly.  Both guys stuck around longer than they probably should have.  For Fisch, it was mostly because of a lack of talent.  When the team gave him the QB to run the offense, he didn't utilize him correctly.  He also didn't get along with the new QB, so that had to be addressed.

For Babich, it was also about talent issues, but he lasted a little longer because he managed to make the defense almost respectable last year.  The expectation was that the improvements would continue this season.  That didn't happen, and the unit actually seemed to regress.  Some of that was injury and lack of depth, but some of it was also the play calling and the lack of creativity in scheming to work with the talent he had. 

Someone had to take a fall, and both Fisch and Babich were held accountable.  We see how hiring Olson, Hackett, and Marrone helped the offense improve pretty significantly this year, although it's still not quite where it needs to be. 

Head coaches who have the opportunity to get to a 2nd coordinator tend to do a better job of landing the right guy for their team because there's not nearly as much of a sense of urgency as when they were hired.  I think the Olson hire, despite the widespread panning it got here when he was brought in, proved to be the right one for this team. 

Quote:For those with half-filled glasses, Fisch was replaced by Olson. If Gus hits another home run with a new DC and Dave improves the defensive roster, we may have nothing to gripe about.

Agreed.  The hope is that Gus gets the right guy to run the defense with his new coordinator in similar fashion to what has transpired with Olson.  The focus for the majority of this off season will no doubt be on fixing the defense, both with personnel and coaches.  Gus' job depends on getting this right.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Sometimes you have to take who will come work for you. It's not like the world's great coordinators were lining up to work for Sprinkles.

Hell, Olson needed the work and Marrone probably thought he'd be the head coach some time last November.

Sadly this is probably all true.

Quote:Newly hired head coaches tend to have to put a staff together quickly, so they go with guys they've worked with previously.  Babich got Gus into coaching at the collegiate level, and was somewhat of a mentor to Bradley early on as a coach.  They're close.

Fisch and Gus worked together on the Tampa staff, and developed a rapport. 

In both cases, the hires weren't really a surprise based on the history there, and the need to build a staff quickly.  Both guys stuck around longer than they probably should have.  For Fisch, it was mostly because of a lack of talent.  When the team gave him the QB to run the offense, he didn't utilize him correctly.  He also didn't get along with the new QB, so that had to be addressed.

For Babich, it was also about talent issues, but he lasted a little longer because he managed to make the defense almost respectable last year.  The expectation was that the improvements would continue this season.  That didn't happen, and the unit actually seemed to regress.  Some of that was injury and lack of depth, but some of it was also the play calling and the lack of creativity in scheming to work with the talent he had. 

Someone had to take a fall, and both Fisch and Babich were held accountable.  We see how hiring Olson, Hackett, and Marrone helped the offense improve pretty significantly this year, although it's still not quite where it needs to be. 

Head coaches who have the opportunity to get to a 2nd coordinator tend to do a better job of landing the right guy for their team because there's not nearly as much of a sense of urgency as when they were hired.  I think the Olson hire, despite the widespread panning it got here when he was brought in, proved to be the right one for this team. 

Then we never should have hired Gus to begin with.  Caldwell and Khan made a mistake there, a mistake I wish they would have learned from a little quicker but Caldwell has done well enough elsewhere for me to be concerned about that.  The only disappointing this is having to sit through another year of this mess.

Fisch never had any business as an NFL OC.

Babich never had any business being an NFL DC.

Two massive failures as hires.  I'm not saying I expected Gus to hire two HOF coordinators right out of the gate but they but stunk.  With Babich you could see that a mile away.  Fisch was at least a little of an unknown.  

He managed to make the defense almost respectable last year? They allowed 26 points per game!  That's not respectable and neither is allowing almost 6000 yards of total offense.  I'm not saying talent wasn't an issue because it was but I don't think it was all the issue.  Part, sure, but the players too often looked out of place and lost.  That even happened this year.  Are the players that unintelligent or is there a problem in game prep?  Based on the other mistakes we've seen from a coaching standpoint I tend to lean towards the latter.

I still don't care for the Olson hire.  I won't argue it wasn't an improvement but that's not saying anything.  Bottles, ARob and Hurns with another year of experience would allowed for about anyone to show improvement.  I still don't care for the offense itself and it has a history of being average to far below average.

I honest to God hope Gus magically figures it out next year but history doesn't bode well for him.  He wasn't dealt a good hand to play with but he hasn't shown the ability to get the most out of what he does have.  Couple that with the game day mistakes and I can't believe he's getting another year.