Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles threw 18 picks this year

Quote:Highest in the NFL.

He did break Brunell's record and kill it in TD's but on the other side of the coin this is a concern.
The last game 2 extra INTs and fumbles hurt his stats, but look at how many times his Oline failed him.  If he wasnt so mobile and elusive escaping sacks he wouldve been hit even more.. (as it is he was sacked more than any other QB in the top 20 - Philip Rivers did get abused too though).  

Huge improvement from his rookie year to 2nd year (just like Peyton Manning) it takes time (experience) but if he continues to work as hard during this offseason as last you'll see it on the field (and now he knows the playbook unlike having to learn it with a new OC).  He still needs to get a real oline, LT Luke Joeckel is a joke & might get Bortles killed if they dont sign one in Free Agency.  The team should keep Gray, and think about cutting all the other RBs except Corey Grant & TJ Yeldon (Starter).  Maybe shoelace can get another year to prove himself but dang he has to stop fumbling & dropping all those easy passes over the year... seriously as good as he has flashed at times the turnovers make me wonder if they should just cut the guy.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

He threw so much this season, gotta figure the interceptions will happen. Hopefully we can run the ball next season, which will open up windows in the short passing game and hopefully cut down these interceptions. To me, he had a damn good season for a 2nd year qb, and he's still pretty raw. He will keep improving.
No commercial messages in sigs

Bortles indicated yesterday that he could throw fewer TDs and for fewer yards next year and have a much better year.

I'm sure INTs are a big part of the reason why.

He's thrown a lot, and many of those were returned for TDs.  Not all were his fault.

With that said, there are not many QB situations in the league right now I'd rather have at this point than ours.

We are in really good shape with Bortles. 

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

After being hit and sacked like 200 times in his first 2 seasons.... not surprised his INT totals are high.

Bortles is constantly under pressure.

When he gets away from it, he makes a play (that people like to say is some lucky 50-50 ball to Arob)

Often, especially toward the end of the season, it looked like the Oline was in shambles.

There will always be those posters that are never satisfied.

Gus isn't good enough (he may not be)

Dave isn't good enough (except, he is)

Bortles isn't good enough (which is laughable since we had Lefty, Garrard, Gray, Lemon, Bouman, Gabbert, Henne)

Bortles carves defenses with a chainsaw. Hopefully he improves, in the next 2 years, to the point where he's using a surgical knife.

Quote:After being hit and sacked like 200 times in his first 2 seasons.... not surprised his INT totals are high.

Bortles is constantly under pressure.

When he gets away from it, he makes a play (that people like to say is some lucky 50-50 ball to Arob)

Often, especially toward the end of the season, it looked like the Oline was in shambles.

There will always be those posters that are never satisfied.

Gus isn't good enough (he may not be)

Dave isn't good enough (except, he is)

Bortles isn't good enough (which is laughable since we had Lefty, Garrard, Gray, Lemon, Bouman, Gabbert, Henne)

I like to view it as a healthy dissatisfaction. Hopefully something they hold themselves to. Gus and Dave can both get better. So can Bortles. He made some unbelievable strides this year and broke some records, but he still needs to get better with his accuracy and his decision making. Just because he threw 35 TDs doesn't mean he's this elite quarterback that has everything worked out. Blake would be the first to admit that he needs to get better in certain areas.

Quote:I like to view it as a healthy dissatisfaction. Hopefully something they hold themselves to. Gus and Dave can both get better. So can Bortles. He made some unbelievable strides this year and broke some records, but he still needs to get better with his accuracy and his decision making. Just because he threw 35 TDs doesn't mean he's this elite quarterback that has everything worked out. Blake would be the first to admit that he needs to get better in certain areas.
I totally agree. Bortles needs to improve. And he will. The O-Line absolutely needs to improve to expect Bortles to get better.

I don't think he is elite... but he is head and shoulders above anything we've had. People should appreciate that.

As for Gus and Dave.....

well I'm not sure Gus CAN get better.... I hope so, for his sake. 

Dave HAS gotten better, imo.

Year 1 draft - meh, year 1 FA, ehhhh

year 2 much better...

year 3 (some fruits have yet to be borne, Fowler, Sample)

Weren't a number of those 18 caused by tipped or deflected passes and therefore, not actually his fault?

[Image: Welcome%20to%20Duval_zps4z3erxne.jpg]

Quote:I don't think he is elite... but he is head and shoulders above anything we've had. People should appreciate that.

You nailed this analysis.

We agree he is less than elite.  Where in the spectrum of ability do you think he is?  I'd say definitely good.

Where do you think he needs to improve to reach elite status?

I think cutting down on INTs, making quicker decisions/getting rid of the ball more quickly are the areas he needs to improve upon.  I think much of that is still a function of youth/experience.

I think the team around him needs to be better also to help get him to elite status.  The skill positions are fine.  But the line needs to be better at run blocking, especially in short yardage, we need a C that can master the shotgun snap, and we need better pass protection.

If those things happen, he'll be a top 5 QB in the league before too long.

Sounds like Bortles plans to hang around Jax this off-season and work with the receivers at a local high school. I am curious if Julius Thomas will join them.

Quote:Sounds like Bortles plans to hang around Jax this off-season and work with the receivers at a local high school. I am curious if Julius Thomas will join them.
He worked with Bortles last off-season.

It's certainly possible they will work together this off-season.

Quote:He worked with Bortles last off-season.

It's certainly possible they will work together this off-season.

I wonder if that skanky reporter from barstool.com frequents his beach house.

Quote:I wonder if that skanky reporter from barstool.com frequents his beach house.

Probably just once.

Or on a slow Saturday night.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:I wonder if that skanky reporter from barstool.com frequents his beach house.
Was that the one that interviewed him at his beach house?

Quote:You nailed this analysis.

We agree he is less than elite.  Where in the spectrum of ability do you think he is?  I'd say definitely good.

Where do you think he needs to improve to reach elite status?

I think cutting down on INTs, making quicker decisions/getting rid of the ball more quickly are the areas he needs to improve upon.  I think much of that is still a function of youth/experience.

I think the team around him needs to be better also to help get him to elite status.  The skill positions are fine.  But the line needs to be better at run blocking, especially in short yardage, we need a C that can master the shotgun snap, and we need better pass protection.

If those things happen, he'll be a top 5 QB in the league before too long.
INTs is the obvious thing...

but it is less about the INTs themselves and when they happen.

I've said it for awhile now... when you're down 21 points early and are forced to throw it a lot, INTs will happen...

but when the game is close (within one score) and we're about to go up, or tie.. those are the INTs that he needs to cut out. Which is decision making. That next step will take Blake further than his mechanics work did I think.

He holds the ball too long when given time and far too often he isn't given nearly enough time.

I'm not sure what he can do in an offseason to get better in this area but I think this past season has given him new motivation much like last offseason was "work on mechanics" I think he'll watch a lot of tape and work with his guys to get timing and such down even better.

I think he can be top 5 QB next season. 

Elite? Well that is a status you earn and carry over seasons... he's probably 3-4 years away from being able to take that kind of title.

VERY few QBs are truly elite.

I wouldn't consider Dalton elite.

Or even Cam Newton, despite their recent successes.

Brady and Manning are the only ones that a clearly elite. They've made less with more, they've turned scrubs into superstars (who then turned back into scrubs elsewhere). They've done it with defense, no defense, lots of scoring, etc....

Rodgers was well on his way (and many lumped him in already) as an elite QB...

but after this season... can anyone say he truly is?

Take away his best weapon and the D that once helped win a SB is just so-so....and destroy his Oline like anyone elses.... and he becomes... well... average.

Elite status is for the Brady's Manning's, Elways and Montanas....

Asking Bortles to become that may be too much to ask.

Asking Bortles to become Dalton, Newton, Wilson... I think we would all take those results...