Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: What do you think will be announced?
Same old stuff *yawn*
Babich gone.*yay*
Something else.
[Show Results]

Today's Press Conference

Quote:He fired the OC a couple of days after the season ended last year.  There's absolutely no need to rush anything at this point.
I agree with this. As said before there will be exit interviews beginning tomorrow. Perhaps we will all get the satisfaction of a scapegoat for the poor defensive play. Not like firing him today as opposed to tomorrow means much. Unless Gus takes over the defense or they hire within, most people will be waiting until after the HC gigs are taken before taking a DC position.

I'm not any happier than any other rabid jag fan that wants results but the constant whining is a bit... Well, childish.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Hate to beat the dead horse... always been a five year plan.

Care to provide any evidence for that nonsense?
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:Hey! Where can I sign up for a high paying job with no consequences for failure ?

Send Khan your resume via email.

Quote:<a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/GeneFrenette'>Eugene Frenette@GeneFrenette </a> <a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/GeneFrenette/status/684068579428450304'>9s</a>
<a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/GeneFrenette/status/684068579428450304'>10 seconds ago</a>

Bortles says about O-line struggle vs. Texans: "You can't really get mad at somebody for not being able to block J.J. Watt 1-on-1." <a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/hashtag/Jaguars?src=hash'><span style="color:rgb(132,191,212);">#Jaguars</a>
</span>

What about Whitney Mercilus?
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:Care to provide any evidence for that nonsense?

Sure please point out any other team that stripped their roster for this full rebuild in the salary cap era of football?

Look at the business decisions from the London game to the game day improvements to add excitement completely unrelated to the actual product on the field.

Look at the contracts given to the coaching staff.  5 Years to the General Manager and 4 Years to the Head coach.

Look at the London press conference confirming a year 4 for the Head coach.

The plan was to use the rules of football and focus on offense and survey the landscape and get the pieces to fall into place.  Do you really buy into the "built" or where this roster is for the represented record?  It was a fantasy to believe this team was going to be a playoff team without all the breaks that went our way this year.  We played journeymen, rookies and retreads at the QB position week in and week out and won 5 games.  I don't know what you looked at this year.

My Expectations for 2015

An offense that has a clear upward arrow and a piece to build on.  - Check accomplished

I didn't believe in the magic third year.  Every draft pick would have needed to be a near starter or good depth.  Do we have that?  We have had maybe 2 quality drafts in a decade.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Quote:Sure please point out any other team that stripped their roster for this full rebuild in the salary cap era of football?

Look at the business decisions from the London game to the game day improvements to add excitement completely unrelated to the actual product on the field.

Look at the contracts given to the coaching staff. 5 Years to the General Manager and 4 Years to the Head coach.

Look at the London press conference confirming a year 4 for the Head coach.

The plan was to use the rules of football and focus on offense and survey the landscape and get the pieces to fall into place. Do you really buy into the "built" or where this roster is for the represented record? It was a fantasy to believe this team was going to be a playoff team without all the breaks that went our way this year. We played journeymen, rookies and retreads at the QB position week in and week out and won 5 games. I don't know what you looked at this year.

My Expectations for 2015

An offense that has a clear upward arrow and a piece to build on. - Check accomplished

I didn't believe in the magic third year. Every draft pick would have needed to be a near starter or good depth. Do we have that? We have had maybe 2 quality drafts in a decade.

Ok so like I thought, complete nonsense.

It's not a 5 year plan to get halfway good. Even khan in his latest statement said he is disappointed and he expects us to be in a much better position this time next year.

What do u think the plan is?

Year 1: laughingstock of the league

Year 2: laughingstock of the league playing rookies

Year 3: some rookies get better and we get slightly more competitive, but still only go 5-11 with one of the weakest schedules in recent memory?

Hear me out jags fans. Don't let this front office off the hook. It is criminal how bad we are and they are not going to pretend that "hey, we thought we would be like this. Remember how bad we were in 2012?"

Yeah I remember 2011 and 2012.... It looked dangerously similar to how the last 3 years have looked.

The ONLY positive is bortles and the passing attack.

Quote:I didn't believe in the magic third year. Every draft pick would have needed to be a near starter or good depth. Do we have that? We have had maybe 2 quality drafts in a decade.

I expected at least 7-9.

This regime is at this point directly responsible for where we are. They can no longer talk about how bad we were when they got here.

The 2013 draft class should be their corner pieces right now... And look how they are.

We are well below everyone's expectations.

Quote:Ok so like I thought, complete nonsense.

It's not a 5 year plan to get halfway good. Even khan in his latest statement said he is disappointed and he expects us to be in a much better position this time next year.

What do u think the plan is?

Year 1: laughingstock of the league

Year 2: laughingstock of the league playing rookies

Year 3: some rookies get better and we get slightly more competitive, but still only go 5-11 with one of the weakest schedules in recent memory?

Hear me out jags fans. Don't let this front office off the hook. It is criminal how bad we are and they are not going to pretend that "hey, we thought we would be like this. Remember how bad we were in 2012?"

Yeah I remember 2011 and 2012.... It looked dangerously similar to how the last 3 years have looked.

The ONLY positive is bortles and the passing attack.

Post of the year. Yes its only 4 days but still.

I don't understand your post saying I'm talking with complete nonsense.  I'm not advocating for letting the front office and ownership off the hook on the absolutely blown opportunity this year.

This looks like a three year plan and it is just some front office mistakes?

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Quote:Yes, but waiting a couple of days won't satisfy the pitchfork and torch crowd who demands instant accountability. The franchise must be run by the jerk of the knee.

Welcome back, John.

The team needs to make the Joke get up there and do a press conference and explain why he has been getting beat by a drum as of late.  Would love to hear what he has to say

Quote:I don't understand your post saying I'm talking with complete nonsense.  I'm not advocating for letting the front office and ownership off the hook on the absolutely blown opportunity this year.

This looks like a three year plan and it is just some front office mistakes?

no, it obviously doesn't look like a 3-year plan.  My point is that we shouldn't GIVE them 5 years. 

At the rate they're going, even a 10-year plan won't improve this team enough to be in the playoffs consistently.  

My point is that their original plan jus flat-out isn't working.  Watch - we'll be talking about the same crap next year when we go 5-11 again.

Quote:The team needs to make the Joke get up there and do a press conference and explain why he has been getting beat by a drum as of late.  Would love to hear what he has to say
Honestly, Joeckel was solid this year outside of this last game. Sure, he gets beats now and again, but generally, the pressure is due to Beadles from the left side. Joeckel is solid enough, and put a starting caliber player next to him at LG and that helps him even more. I think we're ok at that spot. Was he worth the pick a few years ago? No, but outside of Ansah, no one was...so it is what it is. He certainly isn't as bad as this fan base seems to say.

Quote:Honestly, Joeckel was solid this year outside of this last game. Sure, he gets beats now and again, but generally, the pressure is due to Beadles from the left side. Joeckel is solid enough, and put a starting caliber player next to him at LG and that helps him even more. I think we're ok at that spot. Was he worth the pick a few years ago? No, but outside of Ansah, no one was...so it is what it is. He certainly isn't as bad as this fan base seems to say.

his last performance sure speaks volumes.

his rookie year he played RT poorly and then got hurt.

last year he played poorly but people said "hey it's basically his first year, give it time."

this year yes he played better compared to year 1 and year 2, but this last performance wasn't just bad - it was dangerous and flat-out pathetic.  That is game tape that has to get analyzed.  I don't think I've ever seen a player give up 5 sacks by himself in 1 game before.  Actually the closest to Joke's performance was Cam Bradfield against the Redskins last year - who got cut the next day.

Quote:no, it obviously doesn't look like a 3-year plan.  My point is that we shouldn't GIVE them 5 years. 

At the rate they're going, even a 10-year plan won't improve this team enough to be in the playoffs consistently.  

My point is that their original plan jus flat-out isn't working.  Watch - we'll be talking about the same crap next year when we go 5-11 again.
If we can hit on a couple more picks this upcoming draft and land a good piece on D via FA, if this staff can't get the most of them someone should. Bortles has the looks of a top 10 QB and the offense has a chance to be real special. Add Dante Fowler and if he can bring a solid 8+ sacks a year at the least (I think as a rookie if he's our main LEO and gets the snaps 5-8 sacks should defintely be expected, but can't expect much more out of a rookie coming off an ACL), along with Sen returning and gaining a couple more pieces via FA this defense should be good enough. Continue adding in the future like most teams, but there's no reason with another offseason and Fowler/Sen being back and healthy shouldn't change outcomes next year. At least to 8-8 or so, 7-9 at the very least (schedule is rough next year, a year like that is pretty good). Now, i'm not saying Gus and co. should stay with that type of a year, just saying we should definitely be right there in the thick of things for playoffs. Don't consider this year in the thick of things regardless of how close we were, we were 5-8 with a solid shot at playoffs at one point which is utterly pathetic.

Quote:his last performance sure speaks volumes.

his rookie year he played RT poorly and then got hurt.

last year he played poorly but people said "hey it's basically his first year, give it time."

this year yes he played better compared to year 1 and year 2, but this last performance wasn't just bad - it was dangerous and flat-out pathetic.  That is game tape that has to get analyzed.  I don't think I've ever seen a player give up 5 sacks by himself in 1 game before.  Actually the closest to Joke's performance was Cam Bradfield against the Redskins last year - who got cut the next day.
I agree 100%, pathetic, dreadful, etc. etc. This last game was all of that. But you can't move on from a high pick like that and use high end resources to solve a problem that really isn't 99% of the time, just have to hope he takes a bigger step or is at the very least more consistent next year. Build the defense, gain a piece here or there for the OL if you can, but the likelyhood of getting a caliber player to replace a guy like Joeckel is unlikely. He takes his lumps here from this fanbase, which is fair considering where he was taken and you expect more, but he is a solid LT. Not huge on Alfie, but it's true when he states LT isn't what it once was outside of a few elite premier LT's like Tyron Smith, Joe Thomas, etc. He's pretty middle of the pack, and still has upside to hopefully take another small step or like I said, at least be more consistent and not always have that one time a guy where it's like "[BLEEP] ARE YOU DOING!!!"

Quote:I agree 100%, pathetic, dreadful, etc. etc. This last game was all of that. But you can't move on from a high pick like that and use high end resources to solve a problem that really isn't 99% of the time, just have to hope he takes a bigger step or is at the very least more consistent next year. Build the defense, gain a piece here or there for the OL if you can, but the likelyhood of getting a caliber player to replace a guy like Joeckel is unlikely. He takes his lumps here from this fanbase, which is fair considering where he was taken and you expect more, but he is a solid LT. Not huge on Alfie, but it's true when he states LT isn't what it once was outside of a few elite premier LT's like Tyron Smith, Joe Thomas, etc. He's pretty middle of the pack, and still has upside to hopefully take another small step or like I said, at least be more consistent and not always have that one time a guy where it's like "[BAD WORD REMOVED] ARE YOU DOING!!!"

it's absolutely time to at least give him competition.  I have always been against drafting a lineman in the top 5, especially because tackles just aren't as elite as they used to be.  You're not going to find another Boselli.

I would rather take a mid first rounder or a 2nd round-3rd round pick and bolster the offensive line that way.  

Luke needs to be pushed.  If he beats out solid competition for a starting job - fine.  But he shouldn't be just given the job on a plate like this regime has done in the past (i.e. Brewster, Pasztor)

Quote:If we can hit on a couple more picks this upcoming draft and land a good piece on D via FA, if this staff can't get the most of them someone should. Bortles has the looks of a top 10 QB and the offense has a chance to be real special. Add Dante Fowler and if he can bring a solid 8+ sacks a year at the least (I think as a rookie if he's our main LEO and gets the snaps 5-8 sacks should defintely be expected, but can't expect much more out of a rookie coming off an ACL), along with Sen returning and gaining a couple more pieces via FA this defense should be good enough. Continue adding in the future like most teams, but there's no reason with another offseason and Fowler/Sen being back and healthy shouldn't change outcomes next year. At least to 8-8 or so, 7-9 at the very least (schedule is rough next year, a year like that is pretty good). Now, i'm not saying Gus and co. should stay with that type of a year, just saying we should definitely be right there in the thick of things for playoffs. Don't consider this year in the thick of things regardless of how close we were, we were 5-8 with a solid shot at playoffs at one point which is utterly pathetic.

but the point is - every team has the offseason to get better.  if we get "better" but Houston, Tennessee, and Indy got "more better" than the Jags - we are left at 4-12 or 5-11 again.

Every year we add pieces and we think we're solid.  We added 4 starters through free agency on defense last year and REGRESSED.

Quote:The team needs to make the Joke get up there and do a press conference and explain why he has been getting beat by a drum as of late. Would love to hear what he has to say

He was interviewed post game on jaguars.com. I think it's still up.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:We all knew that wouldn't happen.  It's so unfortunate...

If I were king for a day...I'd hire Coughlin to a 3-5 year deal with a plan for him to groom his successor during that time and have him retire when's 75.

I have no doubt you probably would. Real bright.

I love what Coughlin did when he was here, but many of you simply live in the past. He was 12 wins above .500 with the Giants, in twelve years. He hasn't had the Giants in the playoffs for four seasons. But that would be ok by you? You'd be making remarks about senility or some other brilliant statement.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.