Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Babich on his way out Black Monday?

Quote:Gus will give him another chance.

I guess it's kinda commendable about how loyal Gus is to babich.

Unfortunately, loyalty does not appear to be enough to win games when one is in over one's head...

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-04-2016, 02:45 PM by badger.)

I think it's a little ridiculous how people are clamoring for blood when Bradley is being retained. Firing Babich does nothing for us.  This is Gus' defense.  That's why we hired him; to bring in Seattle's scheme.

Gus probably doesn't want to fire him because he knows Babich is not really to blame.  Gus is to blame for this defense as well as the lack of talent on the field.

Quote:I guess it's kinda commendable about how loyal Gus is to babich.

Unfortunately, loyalty does not appear to be enough to win games when one is in over one's head...

Lou Brown: I have something I think you all ought to know about.It seems that Mr. Khan doesn't think too highly of our worth. He put this team together because he thought we'd be bad enough to finish dead last, knocking attendance down to the point where he could move the team to Miami... and get rid of all of us for better personnel.

Quote:Lou Brown: I have something I think you all ought to know about.It seems that Mr. Khan doesn't think too highly of our worth. He put this team together because he thought we'd be bad enough to finish dead last, knocking attendance down to the point where he could move the team to Miami... and get rid of all of us for better personnel.

Even me?

Even you, Dorn.

Quote:I think it's a little ridiculous how people are clamoring for blood when Bradley is being retained. Firing Babich does nothing for us.  This is Gus' defense.  That's why we hired him; to bring in Seattle's scheme.

Gus probably doesn't want to fire him because he knows Babich is not really to blame.  Gus is to blame for this defense as well as the lack of talent on the field.

Then what do we pay Babich for?

(This post was last modified: 01-04-2016, 03:48 PM by SpeedyG.)

Quote:I think it's a little ridiculous how people are clamoring for blood when Bradley is being retained. Firing Babich does nothing for us.  This is Gus' defense.  That's why we hired him; to bring in Seattle's scheme.

Babich isn't all at fault, given the lack of talent rushing the passer and at safety (and even LB when it comes to coverage). However, there is something to say about putting your players where they can make plays. Far too often this season, I've seen this defense be in the wrong spot (many times confused pre-snap on responsibilities...and this is throughout the entire 3 years Babich has been our DC).

I remember Mike Smith as our DC. Often times, the defense doesn't make a stop. But often times, the play was there to be made...the player just failed. There were also plenty of times when it felt like our defense "knew" what the other offense was doing. Vic kind of hinted at this back then, and basically what Vic said was there were games when the Jags really had an educated guess what the other team was going to do.

Rarely, if ever, do I get that vibe from our defense. In fact, it almost seems to be the other way around...that the opposing offenses can "guess" our defensive tendencies.

Our offense has been one of the most blitzed offense in the NFL, yet Olson struggled (or perhaps Blake failed to recognize) to take advantage of this by getting the ball out quickly.

The Jaguars rarely blitz defensively. Yet I remember a game mid-season(when we were struggling to rush the passer with 4 man front), and as soon as we call blitz...boom...we got hit by a well designed RB screen.

Demote Babich to LB coach

Formerly known as The Real Joker

Quote:Then what do we pay Babich for?

To call plays, help with gameplan.

(This post was last modified: 01-04-2016, 03:55 PM by badger.)

Quote:Babich isn't all at fault, given the lack of talent rushing the passer and at safety (and even LB when it comes to coverage). However, there is something to say about putting your players where they can make plays. Far too often this season, I've seen this defense be in the wrong spot (many times confused pre-snap on responsibilities...and this is throughout the entire 3 years Babich has been our DC).

I remember Mike Smith as our DC. Often times, the defense doesn't make a stop. But often times, the play was there to be made...the player just failed. There were also plenty of times when it felt like our defense "knew" what the other offense was doing. Vic kind of hinted at this back then, and basically what Vic said was there were games when the Jags really had an educated guess what the other team was going to do.

Rarely, if ever, do I get that vibe from our defense. In fact, it almost seems to be the other way around...that the opposing offenses can "guess" our defensive tendencies.

Our offense has been one of the most blitzed offense in the NFL, yet Olson struggled (or perhaps Blake failed to recognize) to take advantage of this by getting the ball out quickly.

The Jaguars rarely blitz defensively. Yet I remember a game mid-season(when we were struggling to rush the passer with 4 man front), and as soon as we call blitz...boom...we got hit by a well designed RB screen.

Our Mike Smith/JDR defense had its own issues. It allowed good QBs to have record breaking days because that Cover 2 scheme conceded the short pass.  Also, it never disguised anything. We just lined up and played. Very vanilla.

And it's interesting to note that JDR learned from that and employed a unique scheme in Denver. They disguised coverages and ran an original scheme. That led to success and another HC job in Oakland.

Similar to those days with Mike Smith, that was JDR's philosophy and defensive scheme. Smith was just making it run. Today this is Gus' scheme and Babich is running it.

Quote:Demote Babich to LB coach

I'm fine with this. Have Gus call the plays. We hired him to be a defensive play caller. Hire somebody else to be a clock manager (fancy word for 'time out' guy).

Quote:Our Mike Smith/JDR defense had its own issues. It allowed good QBs to have record breaking days because that Cover 2 scheme conceded the short pass.  Also, it never disguised anything. We just lined up and played. Very vanilla.

And it's interesting to note that JDR learned from that and employed a unique scheme in Denver. They disguised coverages and ran an original scheme. That led to success and another HC job in Oakland.

Similar to those days with Mike Smith, that was JDR's philosophy and defensive scheme. Smith was just making it run. Today this is Gus' scheme and Babich is running it.

Yet I never once talked about philosophy or scheme in my previous post? So going by your response, here's the comparison:

Smitty ran JDR's defense, which used a lot of cover 2 philosophy and bend/don't break philosophy. While certain offenses gave it fits, it also excelled against some. Note that while Manning had some great games against us, that defense also had some great games against Manning. That defense, while vanilla, rarely had guys out of position. For the most part, that defense looked prepared most games...even if overmatched.

Babich ran Bradley's defense, which used a lot of cover 3 philosophy. It has been taken advantage of by 40 yr old veteran QBs, rookie QBs, journeyman QBs, and good pocket passers with accuracy abused it. Defense often looks confused pre-snap, scrambling to get lined up, and gets caught in the wrong playcall more often than what you'd like.

Which one did a good job as a DC? Which one didn't? I mean, one guy parlayed his job as a DC into a long-term HC gig, while the other one...well....

It is 3PM on black Monday and nobody on this staff has been fired. Who is the fall guy for this awful product we endured this year?

Quote:It is 3PM on black Monday and nobody on this staff has been fired. Who is the fall guy for this awful product we endured this year?

Oesher

Quote:Oesher

That would be incredible. The curse would be lifted.

I don't understand how Gus can be 3 seasons in and just now decide to do something with the defense.

This front office is a joke.  How can they blame the players when it's a bunch of morons running the show.

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

#MoreMediocrity

#MoreLosses

#MoreIneptness

Quote:Demote Babich to LB coach

Chicago Bears did that  ... then ultimately fired their entire coaching staff.

Perhaps that's the new updated process we need to believe in.

[Image: Trust.png]

For what it's worth and was stated earlier, Fisch was fired on a Tuesday. If Babich gets axed, expect it to come no earlier than tomorrow
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Gus just needs to go all in and call the defense. That is what Mike Zimmer does in Minny.