Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bad news for Watson

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2017, 03:05 PM by JackCity.)

Quote:I don't get this line of thinking when it comes to draft prospects.

How many NFL quality players did Watson actually play against?

Like NFL DBs for example....

Watson has yet to play in the NFL. So he has yet to show he can make any throw in the NFL.

People love hyping up QBs...

but more often than not these guys aren't anything special.

And this stat is just another knock on a kid who I think is talked about highly but come draft day his value will be less.

Much like Teddy Bridgewater.....
When people talk about NFL throws they refer to the kinds of throws that you have to make on a day in day out basis. Quick outs, honey hole, mid range comebacks. Not every college QB throws those well.

Well for instance against Ohio state alone ( didn't play amazing but good enough) he played against 3 first round prospects in the secondary, all will start day 1 in the NFL.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Found this relevant

@AllbrightNFL

Interesting to see how many used/excused velocity number to affirm their existing opinion of Watson, & how few went back to cross check.

11:17 AM · Mar 16, 2017

He went back and cross checked on his own. Got a higher number.

AllbrightNFL

I took a 60 throw random sampling of DeShaun Watson throws (no screens, swing passes) and tested velocity by framerate.

Avg was 53mph.

4:10 PM · Mar 14, 2017

Quote:When people talk about NFL throws they refer to the kinds of throws that you have to make on a day in day out basis. Quick outs, honey hole, mid range comebacks. Not every college QB throws those well.

Well for instance against Ohio state alone ( didn't play amazing but good enough) he played against 3 first round prospects in the secondary, all will start day 1 in the NFL.

Don't forget about all the first round talent he tore apart in the national championship game too!

Dude is the real deal.
Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

Quote:Found this relevant

@AllbrightNFL

Interesting to see how many used/excused velocity number to affirm their existing opinion of Watson, & how few went back to cross check.

11:17 AM · Mar 16, 2017

He went back and cross checked on his own. Got a higher number.

AllbrightNFL

I took a 60 throw random sampling of DeShaun Watson throws (no screens, swing passes) and tested velocity by framerate.

Avg was 53mph.

4:10 PM · Mar 14, 2017
Yeah seen all that. I'm not a mathematician but is it even possible to accurately calculate ball velocity using the frame rate?

Personally think all of this velocity talk is nonsense BUT for the purpose of the argument if these stats are to be believed then it drives home the fact that Watson has more than enough "velocity" to play well in the NFL. 

Quote:Question: Why should Watson's supposed velocity issues at his pro day and combine outweigh the fact velocity wasn't an issue in college and he showed he could make all the NFL throws against quality opposition in the highest stakes.

Its kind of like Dalvin Cooks combine, sure he didn't do great in the explosion or agility drills but who the hell was catching him from behind in college? Nobody.

As any NFL player will tell you, the biggest difference between college and the pros is the speed of the game. In college you can get away with being slower.

'02

Quote:Plenty of chatter about Watson showing lack of velocity again today. Would be weird if he truly is taking it easy, again, knowing that the combine raised concerns with his velocity.

Or maybe he doesn't trust his accuracy unless he is taking some of the zip off? I don't know, it's odd.

I not trying to be arguementive but velocity don't mean a lick, if he can't hit his targets.

Blake was winding up last year and was throwing ducks in the dirt. His deep balls were pitiful. If Watson is throwing 49 mph but the ball is going 40 or 50 yards through the air then it's fine.

Right now that is the only knock on Watson. I'm sure there are other weaknesses but Bortles has weaknesses too. He also has a problem with his mechanics. So we could go back and fourth all day on this.

Watson is my dark horse.

Again like another person said. Has the scouts said "ok man were going to clock you on your fastballs"

I'm sure Watson is focusing on his accuracy rather than crow-hopping 1 from centerfield.

Quote:As any NFL player will tell you, the biggest difference between college and the pros is the speed of the game. In college you can get away with being slower.

The point is that Watson has shown he can throw the ball at an NFL type speed many times.

Quote:The point is that Watson has shown he can throw the ball at an NFL type speed many times.

What makes you so sure?

'02

Quote:What makes you so sure?

The scouts said this. They said he can rip it when he needs to.

Quote:The scouts said this. They said he can rip it when he needs to.

The thing is, this is a test of how fast a guy can throw. So, 48 mph is him "ripping it."

'02

Quote:What makes you so sure?

Watching him play compared to NFL QBs.

Quote:The thing is, this is a test of how fast a guy can throw. So, 48 mph is him "ripping it."

Watch the combine throwing drills and tell me which throws you think he puts his all into.

Quote:The thing is, this is a test of how fast a guy can throw. So, 48 mph is him "ripping it."

But what was the test?   I don't know that there is a specific ball-speed test at the Combine.   I was under the impression that they just put the radar gun on a few of the passing drills.  

lets get him at 4.

Quote:I don't get this line of thinking when it comes to draft prospects.

How many NFL quality players did Watson actually play against?

Like NFL DBs for example....

Watson has yet to play in the NFL. So he has yet to show he can make any throw in the NFL.

People love hyping up QBs...

but more often than not these guys aren't anything special.

And this stat is just another knock on a kid who I think is talked about highly but come draft day his value will be less.

Much like Teddy Bridgewater.....

What DB NFL quality players did Watson play against? Let me tell you what NFL quality players Watson beat. JALEN RAMSEY, Marshon Lattimore, Marlon Humphrey (made him look silly), Malik Hooker, Gareon Conley, Eli Apple, Artie Burns. Yes some of these guys have not played an NFL down yet but these guys have been the top prospect the last 2 years. I'm not saying Deshaun is the best ever or I really want Watson I'm just letting you know what players he has played against and won. I understand it's not just Watson against these guys and that Clemson has a great team and tremendous coaching. Teddy Bridgewater is completely different. What has Bridgewater done compared to Watson? Louisville lost plenty of games with him under center.

I'm starting to think your falling in that special category...

Pay attention - how do you know if the guy who was holding the radar gun measured him throwing a fade route or a fly pattern? Or did he clock him throwing a square in from 15 yards or 20?

You can't just say, we'll he threw 49 mph...

A scout who gets paid a ton of money has said velocity is not a problem bc whenever he needs to rip it, he can rip it.

So again, we don't know what routes he was clocked on.

Quote:A scout who gets paid a ton of money has said velocity is not a problem bc whenever he needs to rip it, he can rip it.

So again, we don't know what routes he was clocked on.
What about the other scouts who get paid a lot of money who have said velocity is a problem? Cause there are a lot of them too. This is what makes QB the hardest position to get right. 

And no we don't know what routes he was clocked on, but it was the same circumstances for everyone. They weren't clocking Mahomes on a quick out and Watson on a fade and saying see Watson has bad velocity by comparison!

Quote:When people talk about NFL throws they refer to the kinds of throws that you have to make on a day in day out basis. Quick outs, honey hole, mid range comebacks. Not every college QB throws those well.

He threw 1 TD and 2 interceptions against that Ohio State defense for 259 yards. His rushing ability was about all he had going for him that game.

Calling Deshawn Watson a future bust since 3/19/17. If I eat crow, I will keep this in here and proclaim JackCity a genius.