Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
If Bradley's back is Babich gone?

Quote:This begs the question:  If Babich is gone, with whom do we replace him?

Do we promote from within (Todd Wash)?

Do we get an experienced defensive coordinator (Schwartz, Ray Horton)?

Do we promote a young position coach from elsewhere?

Who would you want?
Mike Smith

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

If Bradley is back, it will be a sub .500 season anyways

Bradley is back, we are a mess

Mike Smith would be a cherished hire. But he'll be worlds better than his boss.
Success is a journey, not a destination.  Go all out Mighty Jaguars.

Quote:Horton is viewed as one of the best young defensive coordinators in the game.

My only reservation with him is whether he is a 3-4 guy or is that just where he wound up?
We already run what amounts to a 3-4 with one linebacker's hand on the ground.

I think he has to bring someone else in.  If he's smart he'll hire a DC that has a similar system (so that he can provide some insight), but let that DC totally take control of that side of the ball philosophically from there.  Then GB needs to focus on his HC duties, specifically gameday decisions and situations.  Feel like those things combined with DC continuing to add talent could help greatly.  It sucks to have to have lived through the growing pains of a new HC but I think that the incremental improvement is adding up and we would be foolish to not reap the rewards, even moreso than the excitement of this season.

Quote:False. Gus hasn't called plays all year.
Gus hasn't called plays but this is his scheme that he's telling Babich to run.

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2015, 06:43 PM by badger.)

I don't understand the logic of firing Babich and not Gus. Gus is the defensive head coach. What is a new DC going to do? And let's say a new DC comes in and changes the scheme, Then why exactly do we keep Gus around? What is his job of he doesn't control the defense? Babich is just a puppet of Bradley. Firing him does nothing.

Quote:I don't understand the logic of firing Babich and not Gus. Gus is the defensive head coach. What is a new DC going to do? And let's say a new DC comes in and changes the scheme, Then why exactly do we keep Gus around? What is his job of he doesn't control the ? Babich is just a puppet of Bradley. Firing him does nothing.
Just because he's a "puppet" doesn't mean he doesn't have some level of responsibility.  For all we know every week Gus could be chewing this guy out saying, "Why did you call this play during this time?  That's not at all what we should do"

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2015, 06:45 PM by badger.)

Quote:Just because he's a "puppet" doesn't mean he doesn't have some level of responsibility. For all we know every week Gus could be chewing this guy out saying, "Why did you call this play during this time? That's not at all what we should do"
Plays are called according to a game plan which Gus himself is involved with. There are no surprise calls.

And when Gus said "we tried everything" against TEN, he is talking about adjustments he himself help make.

Quote:Plays are called according to a game plan which Gus himself is involved with. There are no surprise calls.

And when Gus said "we tried everything" against TEN, he is talking about adjustments he himself help make.
How would we know that?  I'm not saying Babich invented a play on the fly, I'm saying he calls the wrong play in the playbook.  If Gus isn't in the booth calling the plays then it seems like there's some room for error.  E.g. the opposing team is in a 5 wide formation and Babich puts them in a 4-3 when he should have gone with a Dime or Nickel package.

It's not just the playcalling though, it's coaching and preparing the players.

There are times that you can clearly see the players not knowing what to do, how to line up, who they are covering (on bigcatcountry there's a good exemple of a play with Evans and Colvin covering the same guy, same for House and Poz).

In addition to lack of talent, this defense is unprepared under every aspect and someone should be held responsible.

Quote:How would we know that? I'm not saying Babich invented a play on the fly, I'm saying he calls the wrong play in the playbook. If Gus isn't in the booth calling the plays then it seems like there's some room for error. E.g. the opposing team is in a 5 wide formation and Babich puts them in a 4-3 when he should have gone with a Dime or Nickel package.

That's how it works. Every coach has a game plan on a play card designed for different situations. The card is created during game planning for that week. Obviously all the plays work within a scheme which is 100% Bradley's 4-3. Unless Babich goes off script, which maybe happened a couple times if at all, it wasn't the cause of any losses.

Quote:It's not just the playcalling though, it's coaching and preparing the players.

There are times that you can clearly see the players not knowing what to do, how to line up, who they are covering (on bigcatcountry there's a good exemple of a play with Evans and Colvin covering the same guy, same for House and Poz).

In addition to lack of talent, this defense is unprepared under every aspect and someone should be held responsible.

Ok, that is really a result of players not playing assignments correctly. I chalk that up more to player ability than coaching. Even if it was coaching, Bradley is a defensive head coach. He's at fault just as much as Babich, as are all the position coaches.

If Babich is fired, he is 100% just the fall guy.

Schwartz would make us a playoff team,I'm sure about that.

Quote:That's how it works. Every coach has a game plan on a play card designed for different situations. The card is created during game planning for that week. Obviously all the plays work within a scheme which is 100% Bradley's 4-3. Unless Babich goes off script, which maybe happened a couple times if at all, it wasn't the cause of any losses.
I'm not saying you are wrong but how did you get that information? In other words how do you know he's handed all the information, never goes off script, and there isn't really any room for error? Forgive my ignorance if it's common knowledge.

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2015, 07:59 PM by badger.)

Quote:I'm not saying you are wrong but how did you get that information? In other words how do you know he's handed all the information, never goes off script, and there isn't really any room for error? Forgive my ignorance if it's common knowledge.

If he was going off script calling random plays every week then he would be fired midseason. I'm not saying he has no input to the game plan, he definitely does but all that is overseen and managed by Bradley (the defensive head coach).

Quote:If he was going off script calling random plays every week then he would be fired midseason. I'm not saying he has no input to the game plan, he definitely does but all that is overseen and managed by Bradley (the defensive head coach).
Well maybe not deliberately going off script. I guess my point is if it's that easy to do then what's the point of even having a DC?

Gus even said in a press conference it was little techniques the players were doing wrong, like swatting for the ball instead of just putting an arm to block it. I'm sure he and the other coaches are drilling that into guys heads. It falls to a talent gap when they're unable to actually execute the proper technique.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2015, 09:14 PM by badger.)

Quote:Well maybe not deliberately going off script. I guess my point is if it's that easy to do then what's the point of even having a DC?
That's a good question because many head coaches also call plays.

I'm not saying being a coordinator is easy to do. But a lot of the time depending on what side of the ball the head coach likes, they are controlling that game plan. The coordinator is not really the ultimate person to blame in that situation.

That's why I think firing Babich and expecting big improvement is dumb. Nothing would really change as far as defensive playcallling except for the voice going through the headsets.

In the event we bring in a DC to alter the scheme and they do more, then at that point why would we need Bradley? I mean, "what would you say... You DO here" yuno?

Babich is a gonner. Wait for next Monday presser.  If he is not, he will be Asst HC taking in charge of in game assistance just for name sake just like Frank scelfo.  Babich is a bad coach