Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Kid wears Star Wars shirt to school; gets told he can't

Quote:I usually try to see everyone's POV even if I don't agree with it, but it's getting more and more difficult to do with the mentality they have. And the far right isn't any better. I have many friends on both sides of the aisle and I have to stay out of conversations with them because what comes out of their mouths is just...... ridiculous.

My father-in-law is a democrat and we don't see eye to eye on much but he's not what I call a liberal democrat. He sees reason on both sides of the spectrum but is definitely Left. A friend of mine is far right and I had to unfollow her on Facebook because of the political posts and arguments. Another friend was moderate left until she hooked up with her man and now she's far left. Like- everything offends me- left. I'm on the verge of unfollowing her too. 
I feel almost exactly the same way, which is ironic given that you and I disagree on more than we agree on, I think. Here's to keeping a level head in a time where the world around us seems to want everyone radicalized one way or the other.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Enforcing rules can be difficult when things start to get subjective. You're all making this out to be liberal propaganda thing, but to me, it's about enforcing a rule set forth and maybe getting it wrong.....?

Here's an example of something very similiar, but coming from ZERO political bias: We have a no flip flop rule at my job because the big cheese thinks they're un-professional. Ok, everyone know's what a flip flop is, right? Not so fast.....Women started to wear things to work that didn't necessarily look like a beach flip flop,but they "flipped and they flopped", so the rule was amended to, "can you wear it in the shower"? That only proved to be more difficult to enforce because everyone argued, "no, because they're leather", but were clearly a flip flop. Then it was the shoes that are dressy that go between the toes, but didn't have a back. HUGE debate over that. It got so asinine that the managers had to go around one day and inspeact shoes of our workers as a pop quiz type shoe check! It all came from someone upstairs who just said "No flip flops"

Basically, we all wear combat boots now. 

Quote:Basically, we all wear combat boots now. 
Sounds practical.

What I want to know, though, is how one wears stiletto heels in the shower.

Quote:I have no problem with schools setting policies against clothing, backpacks, lunch boxes, accessories, whatever that depict a realistic firearm on them. I wouldn't necessarily push for those policies in a school district that my hypothetical kid went to, but I wouldn't be standing outside screaming, "How dare you not let my son wear a shirt with a gun on it to school!". Being a child of an NRA members has jack [BAD WORD REMOVED] all to do with it, and even being a military child shouldn't qualify the kid for special treatment under existing dress codes. Isn't being treated exceptionally kind of counterintuitive to the whole mindset of the military?

I'm not even going to touch the left wing comment, because I could point to a dozen instances of the Trump Party unilaterally having its way while liberals screamed. Not going to waste my breath on it, though. Both sides are convinced that they're morally in the right, especially when they're morally in the gray.

Your hypothetical questions are all thought-provoking, and here's my answer: the elementary/middle school I went to had uniforms. Solid-color polo shirt and khaki or navy slacks. That might be a little too extreme, but maybe saying "solid color clothing only" would work. It'd at least shut the NRA drones up about making a kid with guns on his shirt change, and it'd shut the Thought Police up about kids being allowed to roll into school with guns on their shirt. Both sides sound more ridiculous by the day.

First of all, when I addressed children of military members, I was referring to this, although in this case the boy's older brother is the military member.

Is this t-shirt threatening?  Does it "depict violence" as outlined in the original story?

[Image: 635802551655418497-635800232889686723-12...2271-n.jpg]

Second, when I referred to the NRA, I was talking about kids who are actually members of the organization.  Here are a couple of quotes from the the article that are kind of ironic.

Quote: 

WEST VIRGINIA — Near the entrance of Logan Middle School is a statue called “The Doughboy” — a World War I soldier carrying a firearm in one hand, and in the other a grenade.

The bronze figure is indicative of West Virginia’s gun culture. As is the state flag — which features two firearms — and West Virginia University’s mascot, the musket-toting Mountaineer.
Quote: 

According to the complaint, Marcum’s shirt complied with the school’s student/parent handbook, which prohibited clothing that displayed profanity, violence, discriminatory messages or sexually suggestive phrases. The policy also banned clothing that advertised alcohol, tobacco or drug products.

So given the rules in bold above, does this shirt violate that policy?

[Image: 902_nrashirtf.jpg]

As far as my comment regarding liberals... can you honestly say with a straight face that the school administrators that thought this shirt violated school policy could possibly be conservative?

And now we have a kid getting reprimanded for a Star Wars t-shirt...  think about that...

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:Your ability to approach every topic from a pureley logical and unbiased manner is astounding. Nope you have no bias. None at all. /S

Actually, I do look at this topic logically.  The logic behind the OP as well as other examples that I've posted is idiotic.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:That explains, to me anyway, on why you are a Trumpeteer

Hate to break it to you, but I do not support Donald Trump.

Quote:Sounds practical.

What I want to know, though, is how one wears stiletto heels in the shower.
You can totally wear heels, that's perfectly fine. It really did get ridiculous though! It's kind of the same thing. 

Quote:First of all, when I addressed children of military members, I was referring to this, although in this case the boy's older brother is the military member.

Is this t-shirt threatening?  Does it "depict violence" as outlined in the original story?

[Image: 635802551655418497-635800232889686723-12...2271-n.jpg]

Second, when I referred to the NRA, I was talking about kids who are actually members of the organization.  Here are a couple of quotes from the the article that are kind of ironic.

[Image: 902_nrashirtf.jpg]

As far as my comment regarding liberals... can you honestly say with a straight face that the school administrators that thought this shirt violated school policy could possibly be conservative?

And now we have a kid getting reprimanded for a Star Wars t-shirt...  think about that...
I think it just comes down to where do you draw the line? I'm sure the star wars shirt is non-threatening, but if there is a gun, don't you agree that does violate the school code? Regardless of it's depicting a fake gun from a fake movie? 

Quote:First of all, when I addressed children of military members, I was referring to this, although in this case the boy's older brother is the military member.

The supporting the troops shirt made no sense to ban. If it was a depiction of combat or a troop pointing a gun at something, whatever, sure, but it wasn't.

I don't have any problem with saying no to the NRA shirt. In the minds of many, that shirt would present a violent message. The role of school administrators is not to be thought police, it's to prevent conflict caused by clothing. In that case, they did their jobs by removing a piece of clothing that was likely to cause conflict from the equation. By the logic you're applying here--the student's status as an NRA member entitling them to wear an NRA shirt--if a kid was part of a Klan group, they should be allowed to wear "protect your race" shirts with images of burning crosses on them to school. It doesn't fly.

I can't say what the political leanings of the administrators were, but I can say that West Virginia has always been a conservative Democrat state, with that shifting dramatically to a heavily Republican balance of late. Speculate all you want, but it's not like that happened in California. Again, the job of a school administrator with regards to clothing decisions is to prevent conflict. How is wearing a shirt that has a message many would consider to be threatening and a picture of a gun on it any different than wearing all blue in a Bloods school at LA?

Tougher dress codes would prevent all of this foolishness and let us focus on educating students instead of whether or not what they're wearing violates our delicate sensibilities almost as much as telling them to take it off would.

Quote:I think it just comes down to where do you draw the line? I'm sure the star wars shirt is non-threatening, but if there is a gun, don't you agree that does violate the school code? Regardless of it's depicting a fake gun from a fake movie? 

According to the OP and the story, the school bans clothing that has "symbols oriented toward violence".  Is a t-shirt for a PG-13 movie, probably the biggest movie of the year that is fantasy oriented toward violence?  In other words, is a t-shirt on a geeky looking 13 year old kid depicting a storm trooper with an imaginary weapon really oriented towards violence?

The OP is just another example in a long list of really stupid liberal policy.

Quote:According to the OP and the story, the school bans clothing that has "symbols oriented toward violence".  Is a t-shirt for a PG-13 movie, probably the biggest movie of the year that is fantasy oriented toward violence?  In other words, is a t-shirt on a geeky looking 13 year old kid depicting a storm trooper with an imaginary weapon really oriented towards violence?

The OP is just another example in a long list of really stupid liberal policy.
Name three really stupid conservative policies. They're out there, I promise. You can do it. I know you don't fall so in step with the right that you can't find three incredibly dumb policy positions they hold, right?

Quote:The supporting the troops shirt made no sense to ban. If it was a depiction of combat or a troop pointing a gun at something, whatever, sure, but it wasn't.

I don't have any problem with saying no to the NRA shirt. In the minds of many, that shirt would present a violent message. The role of school administrators is not to be thought police, it's to prevent conflict caused by clothing. In that case, they did their jobs by removing a piece of clothing that was likely to cause conflict from the equation. By the logic you're applying here--the student's status as an NRA member entitling them to wear an NRA shirt--if a kid was part of a Klan group, they should be allowed to wear "protect your race" shirts with images of burning crosses on them to school. It doesn't fly.

I can't say what the political leanings of the administrators were, but I can say that West Virginia has always been a conservative Democrat state, with that shifting dramatically to a heavily Republican balance of late. Speculate all you want, but it's not like that happened in California. Again, the job of a school administrator with regards to clothing decisions is to prevent conflict. How is wearing a shirt that has a message many would consider to be threatening and a picture of a gun on it any different than wearing all blue in a Bloods school at LA?

Tougher dress codes would prevent all of this foolishness and let us focus on educating students instead of whether or not what they're wearing violates our delicate sensibilities almost as much as telling them to take it off would.

Can you explain how that t-shirt presents a "violent message"?  Is it because it says "Protect Your Right" and displays a firearm?  How many shootings have taken place by NRA members?  How many times has the NRA encouraged violence?  The NRA encourages people to exercise their rights using the ballot box, not their weapons.

Quote:Can you explain how that t-shirt presents a "violent message"?  Is it because it says "Protect Your Right" and displays a firearm?  How many shootings have taken place by NRA members?  How many times has the NRA encouraged violence?  The NRA encourages people to exercise their rights using the ballot box, not their weapons.
I don't have to explain it. If I were a school administrator and a teacher or student approached me and said that they were concerned about a student walking around wearing a t-shirt with an assault rifle and an intimidating message on it, I would make the kid change too.

And yes, an all-caps message superimposed on an assault rifle is designed to intimidate while getting its point across. How does it intimidate? Simple. It suggests violence.

Quote:Name three really stupid conservative policies. They're out there, I promise. You can do it. I know you don't fall so in step with the right that you can't find three incredibly dumb policy positions they hold, right?

Why try to direct the conversation from the topic at hand?  If you want to discuss conservative vs. liberal policies, start another thread.

Quote:Why try to direct the conversation from the topic at hand?  If you want to discuss conservative vs. liberal policies, start another thread.
Talk about redirecting! You make a comment indicating that this is yet another stupid liberal policy, a comment you make frequently while proclaiming to be the Spock of this forum. Yet somehow, you're never able to find a stupid conservative policy to rail on the same way. I've challenged you to step forth and prove that you're not just a conservative tool living behind the veil of "logic" that so many conservative tools choose to. I mean, if I'm a liberal, you're bordering on Rush Limbaugh a lot of the time.

So I'll challenge you again: name three stupid conservative policies. Who cares what the topic was originally about? This would hardly be the first time a thread in this forum has drifted on to something else. Name three stupid conservative policies. Don't wait for the translation. Answer me now.

Quote:I don't have to explain it. If I were a school administrator and a teacher or student approached me and said that they were concerned about a student walking around wearing a t-shirt with an assault rifle and an intimidating message on it, I would make the kid change too.

And yes, an all-caps message superimposed on an assault rifle is designed to intimidate while getting its point across. How does it intimidate? Simple. It suggests violence.

Again male cow feces.  The t-shirt shows a hunting rifle with the words "NRA" and "PROTECT YOUR RIGHT" along with the NRA logo displayed at the forefront.  The NRA is not a violent organization, and doesn't encourage violence.  Rather it is a political activist organization whose goal is to protect the Constitutional Right of U.S. citizens to keep and bear arms.

Leftists like you fear a picture of a firearm.  You leftists even fear a child eating a pop-tart into the shape of a firearm.

Quote:Again male cow feces.  The t-shirt shows a hunting rifle with the words "NRA" and "PROTECT YOUR RIGHT" along with the NRA logo displayed at the forefront.  The NRA is not a violent organization, and doesn't encourage violence.  Rather it is a political activist organization whose goal is to protect the Constitutional Right of U.S. citizens to keep and bear arms.

Leftists like you fear a picture of a firearm.  You leftists even fear a child eating a pop-tart into the shape of a firearm.
Actually, I think that sending a kid home purely because there's a picture of a gun on a shirt is stupid. I think that punishing a kid for eating their Pop-tart into the shape of a gun is beyond stupid. I grew up playing cowboys and Indians, cops and robbers, whatever on the playground with stick guns, and I turned out ok.

There's one stupid liberal policy from me. Let's see what you've got.

Quote:Talk about redirecting! You make a comment indicating that this is yet another stupid liberal policy, a comment you make frequently while proclaiming to be the Spock of this forum. Yet somehow, you're never able to find a stupid conservative policy to rail on the same way. I've challenged you to step forth and prove that you're not just a conservative tool living behind the veil of "logic" that so many conservative tools choose to. I mean, if I'm a liberal, you're bordering on Rush Limbaugh a lot of the time.

So I'll challenge you again: name three stupid conservative policies. Who cares what the topic was originally about? This would hardly be the first time a thread in this forum has drifted on to something else. Name three stupid conservative policies. Don't wait for the translation. Answer me now.

LOL.  Again TJ, you are losing it.  You really need a vacation or something.

Conservative vs. Liberal Policy is a different topic, not the one at hand in this thread.  As I said earlier, if you want to discuss that, start a thread.  In the meantime, please stick to the topic at hand.  Discuss the clothing that kids wear to school and why some of it should or should not be banned.  Quite frankly, I believe that this thread illustrates the stupidity of the left.

My thread was deleted because I can't create one to challenge you, so I'll do it again here. Stop hiding behind "stay on topic" nonsense that doesn't seem to apply when you have a point to make and answer me: name three stupid conservative policies. Thought policing like the incidents cited here is an incredibly stupid and dangerous liberal policy. Let's see what you've got.

Unless, that is, your "logic" leads you to believe that conservative principles are infallible. Three stupid conservative policies. Go.

Quote:Hate to break it to you, but I do not support Donald Trump.

And I was not quoting you.
Blakes Life Matters