Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
U.S. pilots: Obama blocks 75% of ISIS strikes

(This post was last modified: 11-23-2015, 05:46 PM by The Real Marty.)

Quote:Hopefully you are being sarcastic.  I can seldom tell these days.

Yes.  I was being sarcastic.  

We did not win the Vietnam War.   Even if that war could have been won, which is debatable, we'll never know because we quit.   And the reason we quit was public opinion.   So to say we shouldn't care about public opinion is extremely foolish.  Heck, the North almost lost the Civil War because of public opinion. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:The title of this thread gave me a mental image of President Obama on the tarmac or carrier flight deck, waving his arms trying to stop jets from taking off.

With a huge Mission Accomplished banner?
Blakes Life Matters

(This post was last modified: 11-23-2015, 05:52 PM by Ringo.)

Quote:[Image: isisfuel_zpsd8k0gtjd.jpg]

Russia destroyed 500 fuel trucks belonging to ISIS transporting illegal oil

Because Putin has more testicular fortitude then Obama
Quote:White House Gave ISIS 45 Minute Warning Before Bombing Oil Tankers

The Obama White House is giving ISIS a 45 minute warning before bombing their oil tankers by dropping leaflets advising potential jihadists to flee before air strikes in Syria.

“Get out of your trucks now, and run away from them. Warning: air strikes are coming. Oil trucks will be destroyed. Get away from your oil trucks immediately. Do not risk your life,” the leaflet reads.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.infowars.com/white-house-gave-isis-45-minute-warning-before-bombing-oil-tankers/'>http://www.infowars.com/white-house-gave-isis-45-minute-warning-before-bombing-oil-tankers/</a>

Confused. Who is bombing the tankers?
Blakes Life Matters

Quote:The title of this thread gave me a mental image of President Obama on the tarmac or carrier flight deck, waving his arms trying to stop jets from taking off.

I had the image of Obama sitting in front of a computer screen vetoing possible air strikes. 

What is really happening is that they have set rules of engagement that are somewhat restrictive.   They want to minimize civilian casualties.   They don't want to level cities; they are trying to be precise.  

Whether it is the right thing to do is a legitimate question, but to write headlines that imply that Obama is picking and choosing targets in real time is totally misleading. 

Quote:I had the image of Obama sitting in front of a computer screen vetoing possible air strikes. 

He'd just use an autopen.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Anyone who thinks POTUS knows everything going on and controls everything over there is naive.

But it's no different when the blame game was focused on Presidents Bush/Cheney . Cheney said there was yellowcake in Iraq. Bush thought it was an Iraqi delicacy.

Now it's Obamas turn.

Next year it'll be ( insert next POTUS here) turn
Blakes Life Matters

Quote:Yes.  I was being sarcastic.  

We did not win the Vietnam War.   Even if that war could have been won, which is debatable, we'll never know because we quit.   And the reason we quit was public opinion.   So to say we shouldn't care about public opinion is extremely foolish.  Heck, the North almost lost the Civil War because of public opinion. 
War is barbaric.  War is extreme.  War is horrific. War is messy.  War is not precise.  War is not sanitary.  If you do not accept these truths then you have already lost and should not engage in war.

Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(This post was last modified: 11-23-2015, 06:35 PM by TJBender.)

Quote:You...should not engage in war.
That would basically be the foundation of my foreign policy if 200 million clowns were ever foolish enough to vote me into the White House.

Quote:War is barbaric.  War is extreme.  War is horrific. War is messy.  War is not precise.  War is not sanitary.  If you do not accept these truths then you have already lost and should not engage in war.

No argument from me on that. 

I was simply arguing with your statement that in order to win a war you cannot worry about public opinion.   If you were being serious, you were very wrong.   We live in a republic.   We have elections.    Public opinion was what caused us to quit (lose) the War in Vietnam.   For a Republic like ours to win a war, the war has to be fought with one eye on the enemy and the other eye on American public opinion.  

Quote:No argument from me on that. 

I was simply arguing with your statement that in order to win a war you cannot worry about public opinion.   If you were being serious, you were very wrong.   We live in a republic.   We have elections.    Public opinion was what caused us to quit (lose) the War in Vietnam.   For a Republic like ours to win a war, the war has to be fought with one eye on the enemy and the other eye on American public opinion.  
I disagree.  You consider public opinion right up to the point that declare war.  Once that declaration occurs the court of public opinion is moot.  From that point on the only objective to win at all cost.

For this reason, war is and should always be a last resort.  The idea that you can send in troops and perform a sanitary police action is ridiculous and naive.  It is either all of nothing.

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

Quote:That would basically be the foundation of my foreign policy if 200 million clowns were ever foolish enough to vote me into the White House.
I would agree as long as you acknowledge that there is a time and a place for war.  I think however what you are really saying is we are not a police state and will not engage in unnecessary foreign conflicts.

Quote:I would agree as long as you acknowledge that there is a time and a place for war. I think however what you are really saying is we are not a police state and will not engage in unnecessary foreign conflicts.
Pretty much that, yeah. You [BLEEP] with Americans, you die. You [BLEEP] with Russia, eh, have fun.

Quote:He's been more accurate and ahead of the curve than 90% of the media. Shoot Alex was talking about the stingray audio devices back in the early 2000 long before it came out last year. Yes he goes off in conspiracys but after watching so many of them end up true or close to the truth k don't dismiss him so rasily
He is a chemtrail/FEMA death camp loon so I firmly laugh him off.

RE: oil truck bombings

Article on the 354 trucks the U.S. destroyed in recent days. 

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34906011

Quote:I disagree.  You consider public opinion right up to the point that declare war.  Once that declaration occurs the court of public opinion is moot.  From that point on the only objective to win at all cost.

For this reason, war is and should always be a last resort.  The idea that you can send in troops and perform a sanitary police action is ridiculous and naive.  It is either all of nothing.

I agree with the second part of your statement, but the first part, about public opinion being moot is not correct and is not borne out by history, as I have stated and as you have ignored.   We live in a democratic republic.   The Congress and the President, who is the Commander in Chief, are elected.   If you ignore public opinion, you are ignoring the risk of having Congress cut off your funding, which happened during the Vietnam War, and you risk having the President replaced by someone who decides the war is not worth it.   You simply cannot fight a war and ignore public opinion.   If public opinion turns against the war, you lose the war, or at the very least have your military efforts terminated.   Public opinion can cut the legs out from under your military effort.  

Public opinion turned against the Vietnam War and that was what caused our military efforts over there to be truncated.   Until Sherman took Atlanta, Lincoln was all but assured of defeat in the election of 1864, and his opponent, McClellan, campaigned on a platform of negotiating an end to the Civil War.   Those are just two examples of how public opinion can shape success or failure in a war.  

You simply cannot say that once you launch a war, public opinion is moot.   To say that is to ignore the fact that we live in a democratic republic where public opinion determines all our policies.   All our policies are determined by public opinion through elections, and anyone who ignores public opinion when prosecuting a war is very foolish.  

Anyone who believes that public opinion doesn't impact war should go back and talk to LBJ.

According to Oliver Stone, LBJ was likely involved in the JFK assassination so the war could continue and more military helicopters could be built.
Only a chump boos the home team!

Quote: 

Russia destroyed 500 fuel trucks belonging to ISIS transporting illegal oil

Because Putin has more testicular fortitude then Obama

I'll believe you if Russia now destroys ISIS for bombing a Russian civilian jetliner and for dessert, invades Turkey for downing one of their fighter planes.

Putin's a gangster that knows just how much he can get away with, far away on his side of the world.  Admire him if you must, but I'd hate having him running my country.

Quote:I agree with the second part of your statement, but the first part, about public opinion being moot is not correct and is not borne out by history, as I have stated and as you have ignored.   We live in a democratic republic.   The Congress and the President, who is the Commander in Chief, are elected.   If you ignore public opinion, you are ignoring the risk of having Congress cut off your funding, which happened during the Vietnam War, and you risk having the President replaced by someone who decides the war is not worth it.   You simply cannot fight a war and ignore public opinion.   If public opinion turns against the war, you lose the war, or at the very least have your military efforts terminated.   Public opinion can cut the legs out from under your military effort.   You are describing a police action.  A declaration of war is approved by congress.  Allow me to clarify, once a declaration of war is declared and approved by congress it is time for the military to do their job.  Politicians need to get out of the way and stand unified behind those in uniform.   
You do realize the last time an actual declaration of war was issued was in 1941 by FDR. 

Public opinion turned against the Vietnam War and that was what caused our military efforts over there to be truncated.   Until Sherman took Atlanta, Lincoln was all but assured of defeat in the election of 1864, and his opponent, McClellan, campaigned on a platform of negotiating an end to the Civil War.   Those are just two examples of how public opinion can shape success or failure in a war.   Vietnam was a police action not a war.  The Civil War in my humble opinion should be excluded from this discussion.  When you are at war with yourself half the participants are against you to begin with but I get your point.  I just don't think if fits this narrative. 

You simply cannot say that once you launch a war, public opinion is moot.   To say that is to ignore the fact that we live in a democratic republic where public opinion determines all our policies.   All our policies are determined by public opinion through elections, and anyone who ignores public opinion when prosecuting a war is very foolish.   <b><i>Again I am talking about war and not police actions (which I vehemently disagree with) so yes I can say that public opinion is moot.  That was considered and weighed prior to approval by congress.</i></b>
I think you are missing the point.  These police actions declared by a president without the proper vetting by congress that an actual declaration of war gets need to end.  These police actions breed the dissent that you speak of.  They spawn those great quotes such as "I was for it before I was against it".  You can waiver all you want on a police action.  A declaration of war, not so much.

(This post was last modified: 11-24-2015, 11:08 PM by Ringo.)

Quote:I'll believe you if Russia now destroys ISIS for bombing a Russian civilian jetliner and for dessert, invades Turkey for downing one of their fighter planes.

Putin's a gangster that knows just how much he can get away with, far away on his side of the world. Admire him if you must, but I'd hate having him running my country.

Maybe it's just testicle stuff, like fortitude,or fornicate.,or sumpin...I dunno.
Blakes Life Matters