Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Missouri football players to boycott until president Tim Wolfe resigns

Quote:From a protesters perspective you are probably right. From an outsider perspective, I doubt it.

I'm not so sure. I think the Kentucky clerk shows reactions are different. People want her to quit because she won't do her job. Others want the rules and job to change to cater to her. Obviously the situations are different in a few ways but its kind of the same thing.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 11-09-2015, 04:25 PM by CSO14.)

Quote:Here are the demands from the boycott.

I. We demand that the University of Missouri System President, Tim Wolfe, writes a handwritten apology to the Concerned Student 1-­9-­5-0 demonstrators and holds a press conference in the Mizzou Student Center reading the letter. In the letter and at the press conference, Tim Wolfe must acknowledge his white male privilege, recognize that systems of oppression exist, and provide a verbal commitment to fulfilling Concerned Student 1-9-5-­0 demands. We want Tim Wolfe to admit to his gross negligence, allowing his driver to hit one of the demonstrators, consenting to the physical violence of bystanders, and lastly refusing to intervene when Columbia Police Department used excessive force with demonstrators.

II. We demand the immediate removal of Tim Wolfe as UM system president. After his removal a new amendment to UM system policies must be established to have all future UM system president and Chancellor positions be selected by a collective of students, staff, and faculty of diverse backgrounds.

III. We demand that the University of Missouri meets the Legion of Black Collegians' demands that were presented in 1969 for the betterment of the black community.

IV. We demand that the University of Missouri creates and enforces comprehensive racial awareness and inclusion curriculum throughout all campus departments and units, mandatory for all students, faculty, staff, and administration. This curriculum must be vetted, maintained, and overseen by a board comprised of students, staff, and faculty of color.

V. We demand that by the academic year 2017-2018, the University of Missouri increases the percentage of black faculty and staff campus-wide to 10%.

VI. We demand that the University of Missouri composes a strategic 10 year plan by May 1, 2016 that will increase retention rates for marginalized students, sustain diversity curriculum and training, and promote a more safe and inclusive campus.

VII. We demand that the University of Missouri increases funding and resources for the University of Missouri Counseling Center for the purpose of hiring additional mental health professionals -- particularly those of color, boosting mental health outreach and programming across campus, increasing campus-­wide awareness and visibility of the counseling center, and reducing lengthy wait times for prospective clients.

VIII. We demand that the University of Missouri increases funding, resources, and personnel for the social justices centers on campus for the purpose of hiring additional professionals, particularly those of color, boosting outreach and programming across campus, and increasing campus-­wide awareness and visibility.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2015/11/08/missouri-protest-list-demands-issued-to-university.html'>http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2015/11/08/missouri-protest-list-demands-issued-to-university.html</a>

Interesting stuff.
Just wow...

Did anyone here the UM student last month get called an uncle tom because she supports the founding father Thomas Jefferson?

Lots of accusations of race against whites aND conservative blacks. There would be no winning these situations. I probably would have resigned as well.
[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]

Quote:Demand he acknowledges white privlage

[BAD WORD REMOVED] you

That's all

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

White male privilage? How did this guy make it out of undergrad?

Quote:White male privilage? How did this guy make it out of undergrad?

It's ridiculous. They were never slaves, their parents weren't slaves. Affirmative action has been around forever. No matter how much you give and accommodate, it will never be enough.

<i>I. We demand that the University of Missouri System President, Tim Wolfe, writes a handwritten apology to the Concerned Student 1-­9-­5-0 demonstrators and holds a press conference in the Mizzou Student Center reading the letter. In the letter and at the press conference, Tim Wolfe must acknowledge his white male privilege, recognize that systems of oppression exist, and provide a verbal commitment to fulfilling Concerned Student 1-9-5-­0 demands. We want Tim Wolfe to admit to his gross negligence, allowing his driver to hit one of the demonstrators, consenting to the physical violence of bystanders, and lastly refusing to intervene when Columbia Police Department used excessive force with demonstrators. </i>

<i>II. We demand the immediate removal of Tim Wolfe as UM system president. After his removal a new amendment to UM system policies must be established to have all future UM system president and Chancellor positions be selected by a collective of students, staff, and faculty of diverse backgrounds.</i>

<i>III. We demand that the University of Missouri meets the Legion of Black Collegians' demands that were presented in 1969 for the betterment of the black community. </i>

<i>I</i><i>V. We demand that the University of Missouri creates and enforces comprehensive racial awareness and inclusion curriculum throughout all campus departments and units, mandatory for all students, faculty, staff, and administration. This curriculum must be vetted, maintained, and overseen by a board comprised of students, staff, and faculty of color. </i>

<i>V. We demand that by the academic year 2017-2018, the University of Missouri increases the percentage of black faculty and staff campus-wide to 10%. </i>

<i>VI. We demand that the University of Missouri composes a strategic 10 year plan by May 1, 2016 that will increase retention rates for marginalized students, sustain diversity curriculum and training, and promote a more safe and inclusive campus. </i>

<i>VII. We demand that the University of Missouri increases funding and resources for the University of Missouri Counseling Center for the purpose of hiring additional mental health professionals -- particularly those of color, boosting mental health outreach and programming across campus, increasing campus-­wide awareness and visibility of the counseling center, and reducing lengthy wait times for prospective clients. </i>

<i>VIII. We demand that the University of Missouri increases funding, resources, and personnel for the social justices centers on campus for the purpose of hiring additional professionals, particularly those of color, boosting outreach and programming across campus, and increasing campus-­wide awareness and visibility. </i>

<i>http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2015/11/08...rsity.html</i>

Interesting stuff.
I demand that these folks get their own university, fund it, hire educators of their liking and do it like they want to do it. Try Go Fund Me and start there. No freebies. Dont like the facilty, move on. 

Boycott all year. Flunk out. Complain about no opportunities. The  clown merry go round keeps spinning. 

We Demand??? Or what? Sorry but this pisses me off

Blakes Life Matters

(This post was last modified: 11-09-2015, 05:55 PM by Ringo.)

Quote:White male privilage? How did this guy make it out of undergrad?
By having a special privilege?

But dadgummit...why are  the majority of athletes non whites? I demand Caucasian awareness on the plight of white athletes. Add Asian to that list too.

While we are on the point of agendas and self absorption, I thought to throw this in.

Blakes Life Matters

<i>I. We demand that the University of Missouri System President, Tim Wolfe, writes a handwritten apology to the Concerned Student 1-­9-­5-0 demonstrators and holds a press conference in the Mizzou Student Center reading the letter. In the letter and at the press conference, Tim Wolfe must acknowledge his white male privilege, recognize that systems of oppression exist, and provide a verbal commitment to fulfilling Concerned Student 1-9-5-­0 demands. We want Tim Wolfe to admit to his gross negligence, allowing his driver to hit one of the demonstrators, consenting to the physical violence of bystanders, and lastly refusing to intervene when Columbia Police Department used excessive force with demonstrators.</i>

Regarding this first demand and the part in bold.  The supposed "white male privilege" is what this is really about.  He is a University President, not the Mayor or Governor of Missouri.

<i>II. We demand the immediate removal of Tim Wolfe as UM system president. After his removal a new amendment to UM system policies must be established to have all future UM system president and Chancellor positions be selected by a collective of students, staff, and faculty of diverse backgrounds.</i>

Umm... no that's not how the hiring process works.

<i>III. We demand that the University of Missouri meets the Legion of Black Collegians' demands that were presented in 1969 for the betterment of the black community.</i>

I don't know what these "demands" are, but if it's about race... particularly about one race then no.

<i>I</i><i>V. We demand that the University of Missouri creates and enforces comprehensive racial awareness and inclusion curriculum throughout all campus departments and units, mandatory for all students, faculty, staff, and administration. This curriculum must be vetted, maintained, and overseen by a board comprised of students, staff, and faculty of color.</i>

This is just dumb.  Students don't determine curriculum and this particular curriculum is unnecessary and un-needed.  Morals are taught in the home and in other institutions such as churches

<i>V. We demand that by the academic year 2017-2018, the University of Missouri increases the percentage of black faculty and staff campus-wide to 10%.</i>

No.  Hiring somebody in order to meet a quota is both morally wrong and unfair.  Hiring should be based solely on qualifications including relevant experience no matter the race of the applicant.

<i>VI. We demand that the University of Missouri composes a strategic 10 year plan by May 1, 2016 that will increase retention rates for marginalized students, sustain diversity curriculum and training, and promote a more safe and inclusive campus. </i>

<i>VII. We demand that the University of Missouri increases funding and resources for the University of Missouri Counseling Center for the purpose of hiring additional mental health professionals -- particularly those of color, boosting mental health outreach and programming across campus, increasing campus-­wide awareness and visibility of the counseling center, and reducing lengthy wait times for prospective clients.</i>

This tells part of the story.  Clearly some of these students probably need some kind of mental help.  As stated above, only people that are qualified and have relevant experience need apply.  Race and/or color should not be a qualification.

<i>VIII. We demand that the University of Missouri increases funding, resources, and personnel for the social justices centers on campus for the purpose of hiring additional professionals, particularly those of color, boosting outreach and programming across campus, and increasing campus-­wide awareness and visibility. </i>

<i>http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2015/11/08...rsity.html</i>

Interesting stuff.

From what I know so far, it's too bad that this man is forced out of his career simply because of his race, as well as the race of some "offended" students.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:From what I know so far, it's too bad that this man is forced out of his career simply because of his race, as well as the race of some "offended" students.

He is not forced out "simply because of his race"

;

;

Quote:He is not forced out "simply because of his race"
You're correct, the mob forced him out without due process.

(This post was last modified: 11-10-2015, 01:27 PM by HolsterHusto.)

http://mashable.com/2015/11/10/missouri-...a-protest/

Haha this great stuff. Love Ms. Click calling for muscle against the media guy, and yet days ago she tweeted that she would love media to come document what was happening. What a joke.

This is nothing new in this "I demand satisfaction because I'm black" society..

Those who cry that, can go to hell..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

I'm not going to go so far as to say that I disagree with the sentiment behind the strike, but I will ask the obvious question: what would happen if white students at North Carolina A&T demanded that the school president step down because the concerns of the white community are ignored?

Quote:I'm not going to go so far as to say that I disagree with the sentiment behind the strike, but I will ask the obvious question: what would happen if white students at North Carolina A&T demanded that the school president step down because the concerns of the white community are ignored?

Denied because they're white..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Quote:I'm not going to go so far as to say that I disagree with the sentiment behind the strike, but I will ask the obvious question: what would happen if white students at North Carolina A&T demanded that the school president step down because the concerns of the white community are ignored?

I'd be okay with it depending on the concerns they had about being ignored.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:Denied because they're white..
Simply denied, or would they be called out as racist scum by the same national media that's embraced this group?

I'm not saying that the Missouri group is racist scum. They make a lot of a valid points, and any objective set of eyes can see that there is a culture of racism at Mizzou, and it's never been adequately addressed. What I will say is that there's a line between getting it done and taking it too far, and their demands crossed it. Demanding that the university president acknowledge his white male privilege and step down?! Really?! I also don't know of any state-run university system that polls its students when hiring new leadership. Racial awareness programs are great in theory, but in practice, putting Johnny Whitepower in a racial sensitivity course isn't going to change anything. Now, overhauling the campus code of conduct to put in place a uniform procedure for investigating and responding to claims of racially-motivated misconduct (regardless of race being targeted) would make a difference, but amazingly, that's not in there.

I actually agree with a lot of what they've requested, and think that when you can document a long history of institutionalized racism, things like a ten-year plan to improve retention of black students, hiring additional minority faculty and boosting racial outreach programs make sense. There's a lot to be said for leading with your strongest argument though, and demanding that the university president repent for his sins before excommunicating himself anyway in your first two bullet points just kills the credibility of the rest of the document. This could have been a milestone opportunity for real reforms and an example to the rest of the country, but instead, by demanding the removal of a figurehead, it's just another witch hunt that will be forgotten by the time a new president is hired and ignores the rest of the demands.

A better way to handle it might have been to demand a state-led investigation into the response and conduct of senior leadership at the school. The students would have gotten Wolfe's head, but they would have looked much more credible in doing so, and the school would have been forced to focus on their other demands instead of having the opportunity to say, "We fired the president; what more do you want?".

Quote:Simply denied, or would they be called out as racist scum by the same national media that's embraced this group?

I'm not saying that the Missouri group is racist scum. They make a lot of a valid points, and any objective set of eyes can see that there is a culture of racism at Mizzou, and it's never been adequately addressed. What I will say is that there's a line between getting it done and taking it too far, and their demands crossed it. Demanding that the university president acknowledge his white male privilege and step down?! Really?! I also don't know of any state-run university system that polls its students when hiring new leadership. Racial awareness programs are great in theory, but in practice, putting Johnny Whitepower in a racial sensitivity course isn't going to change anything. Now, overhauling the campus code of conduct to put in place a uniform procedure for investigating and responding to claims of racially-motivated misconduct (regardless of race being targeted) would make a difference, but amazingly, that's not in there.

I actually agree with a lot of what they've requested, and think that when you can document a long history of institutionalized racism, things like a ten-year plan to improve retention of black students, hiring additional minority faculty and boosting racial outreach programs make sense. There's a lot to be said for leading with your strongest argument though, and demanding that the university president repent for his sins before excommunicating himself anyway in your first two bullet points just kills the credibility of the rest of the document. This could have been a milestone opportunity for real reforms and an example to the rest of the country, but instead, by demanding the removal of a figurehead, it's just another witch hunt that will be forgotten by the time a new president is hired and ignores the rest of the demands.

A better way to handle it might have been to demand a state-led investigation into the response and conduct of senior leadership at the school. The students would have gotten Wolfe's head, but they would have looked much more credible in doing so, and the school would have been forced to focus on their other demands instead of having the opportunity to say, "We fired the president; what more do you want?".
It's what happens when extremists take over a cause. Happens all the time. 

[Image: 12227029_10153701686221800_4957731406397...e=56C4FECE]

Blakes Life Matters

Quote:[Image: 12227029_10153701686221800_4957731406397...e=56C4FECE]

What a hack. His ratings have not even been up enough to say they have fallen off.

Quote:What a hack. His ratings have not even been up enough to say they have fallen off.

What part of the meme wasn't true?

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]