Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Ben Carson admits fabricating West Point scholarship

Quote:So, to recap:

Earth is 4,400 years old.

Pyramids are grain silos.

Answer to immigration problems is to bomb Arizona.

Signers of the Declaration of Independence had no political experience.

If Jews had guns, there'd have been no Holocaust.

Being Islamic is a disqualifier for being President.

His Presidential campaign is a modern D-Day.

Prison terms make people gay.

Obamacare is a greater national tragedy than 9/11.

Democrats are Nazis.

And now...he lied about being offered a full scholarship to West Point.

Blankety-blanking blank, Republicans. Run a sensible candidate and you'll win. Run Trump, Carson or Cruz and we'll just get another mental breakdown from Karl Rove on live TV when the Democratic candidate wins.

The media is investigating his claim in his autobiography that he was a juvenile delinquent who tried to stab somebody.   Everyone they interview say he was a nice kid.   So why is he trying so hard to convince everyone he was a violent juvenile delinquent?   Because religious conservatives love stories of personal redemption.   The deeper the hole you dug yourself out of, the better.   His life story isn't half as interesting if he was just a nice kid who went to medical school.  

It'll be interesting to see where that leads.  

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:He was referring to the aforementioned verbal conversation with the general not a formal offer of appointment.

If you're responding to what I said, you need to hit the Quote button so everyone can see who you are talking to. 

Here's what I understand is a direct quote from his Facebook page: 

"I was the highest student ROTC member in Detroit and was thrilled to get an offer from West Point."

If you're saying he was talking about a conversation with Westmoreland, then it has to be pointed out that Westmoreland was not entitled to make an offer on behalf of West Point.  So he didn't get an offer from West Point.  By August of 2015, Carson should have understood that and corrected the record.  

... Lol. The former commander american forces says i can get you in it mighy not technically be a formal offer but its pretty closr. And in the very quote that you presented he makes it clear that he didnt apply to west point so he had to be reffering to an informal offer.

Quote:So, to recap:

Earth is 4,400 years old.

Pyramids are grain silos.

Answer to immigration problems is to bomb Arizona.

Signers of the Declaration of Independence had no political experience.

If Jews had guns, there'd have been no Holocaust.

Being Islamic is a disqualifier for being President.

His Presidential campaign is a modern D-Day.

Prison terms make people gay.

Obamacare is a greater national tragedy than 9/11.

Democrats are Nazis.

And now...he lied about being offered a full scholarship to West Point.

Blankety-blanking blank, Republicans. Run a sensible candidate and you'll win. Run Trump, Carson or Cruz and we'll just get another mental breakdown from Karl Rove on live TV when the Democratic candidate wins.
He can't separate the difference between beliefs and facts. He should be disqualified by most for the highest office in the country. However he is not and is in fact embraced for his ignorance. 

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2015, 03:45 PM by Jaguar Warrior.)

Quote:He can't separate the difference between beliefs and facts. He should be disqualified by most for the highest office in the country. However he is not and is in fact embraced for his ignorance. 

I don't think he should be disqualified, but I think that so many American's are willing to support Ben Carson not because he has good policy (which he doesn't), but because he "stands by his faith and his beliefs" is kind of embarrassing. Whatever, I can only hope his support blows over like the support for Santorum did last election.

The greatest lie in this whole thing is the idea that the West Point offer or the stabbing incident it is key to Ben Carson story. The key to Ben Carson story is a thousands upon thousands of successful surgeries in the youngest head of Neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins is a luxurious professional career and is impeccable character I never heard of either of these until the last 2 weeks and I've been following a man's life ever since his movie came out.

Ben Carson support is based on his tangible accomplishment not some PR spawn story.

Quote:He can't separate the difference between beliefs and facts. He should be disqualified by most for the highest office in the country. However he is not and is in fact embraced for his ignorance. 

He's ignorant on a lot of subjects, but he doesn't seem to realize it, or he doesn't care.   He believes the pyramids were grain silos.  Any archaeologist could explain to him why the pyramids could not be grain silos.  But he persists.  

He says the signers of the Declaration of Independence had never held elective office.   Anyone with the slightest knowledge of history knows that is pure bunk, most of them were very experienced politicians. 

If Jews had guns, there wouldn't have been a holocaust.   He doesn't seem to realize the Jews were about 1% of the population of Germany and would have had no chance, even if they had had tanks and planes. 

And on and on. 

Quote:I don't think he should be disqualified, but I think that so many American's are willing to support Ben Carson not because he has good policy (which he doesn't), but because he "stands by his faith and his beliefs" is kind of embarrassing. Whatever, I can only hope his support blows over like the support for Santorum did last election.

Well said. I'm expecting him to go the wait of the Santorums and Bachmans also. Looking like Trump v Rubio at this point

This is a MSM hit job to the point of being silly.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2015, 03:50 PM by boudreaumw.)

Quote:He's ignorant on a lot of subjects, but he doesn't seem to realize it, or he doesn't care. He believes the pyramids were grain silos. Any archaeologist could explain to him why the pyramids could not be grain silos. But he persists.

He says the signers of the Declaration of Independence had never held elective office. Anyone with the slightest knowledge of history knows that is pure bunk, most of them were very experienced politicians.

If Jews had guns, there wouldn't have been a holocaust. He doesn't seem to realize the Jews were about 1% of the population of Germany and would have had no chance, even if they had had tanks and planes.

And on and on.
Being renowned as a genius of a surgeon doesn't make one less of an idiot aparently. I'm convinced he's ramped up the dumb so he doesn't accidentally get elected. This was about making money for him I think.

Quote:This is a MSM hit job to the point of being silly.

Blame the media.   For a lot of the base, that's all you need to do.  

Quote:Blame the media.   For a lot of the base, that's all you need to do.  

When it's factual it's pretty easy to do. Here's the break down from Gabriel Malor:

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Georgia, 'Century Gothic', tahoma, verdana;font-size:12.8px;">"(1) The headline is misleading. The Carson campaign statement does not admit he fabricated anything. Here's the statement: "Dr. Carson was the top ROTC student in the City of Detroit,” campaign manager Barry Bennett wrote in an email to POLITICO. “In that role he was invited to meet General Westmoreland. He believes it was at a banquet. He can’t remember with specificity their brief conversation but it centered around Dr. Carson’s performance as ROTC City Executive Officer. He was introduced to folks from West Point by his ROTC Supervisors,” Bennett added. “They told him they could help him get an appointment based on his grades and performance in ROTC. He considered it but in the end did not seek admission.”

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Georgia, 'Century Gothic', tahoma, verdana;font-size:12.8px;"> 

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Georgia, 'Century Gothic', tahoma, verdana;font-size:12.8px;">(2) The lede is outright false. Politico's Kyle D. Cheney starts with this claim: "Ben Carson’s campaign on Friday admitted, in a response to an inquiry from POLITICO, that a central point in his inspirational personal story was fabricated: his application and acceptance into the U.S. Military Academy at West Point." But no where in the piece does Cheney tell the reader where Carson made this "application and acceptance" claim.

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Georgia, 'Century Gothic', tahoma, verdana;font-size:12.8px;"> 

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Georgia, 'Century Gothic', tahoma, verdana;font-size:12.8px;">(3) It is, of course, very easy to show that Carson never applied to or was accepted to West Point, if in fact he never applied. Thus, the entire piece hinges on this missing piece of information: where and when did Carson say that he applied to and was accepted to Westpoint?

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Georgia, 'Century Gothic', tahoma, verdana;font-size:12.8px;">(4) There is a lot of evidence that Carson never made that claim. Particularly, because in both his book and his speeches, he talks about whittling his options down to Harvard and Yale, and in the end deciding to apply only to Yale, where he was accepted.

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Georgia, 'Century Gothic', tahoma, verdana;font-size:12.8px;">(5) Carson's book does have a single line: "Later I was offered a full scholarship to West Point.” This isn't quite wrong either. Nobody gets scholarships per se to West Point; as a service academy, repayment is the term of service after graduation. But that's exactly Carson's point when he says he didn't take up the West Point opportunity because he didn't want the service commitment to delay his medical career.

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Georgia, 'Century Gothic', tahoma, verdana;font-size:12.8px;">In short, the Politico piece is deeply misleading because it misstates the lie that Carson supposedly told and mischaracterizes the campaign's response."

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:The key to Ben Carson story is a thousands upon thousands of successful surgeries in the youngest head of Neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins is a luxurious professional career and is impeccable character I never heard of either of these until the last 2 weeks and I've been following a man's life ever since his movie came out.
How does performing surgery and being a nice guy qualify someone to lead the United States?

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2015, 04:34 PM by Bon Jagley.)

Quote:How does performing surgery and being a nice guy qualify someone to lead the United States?

Obviously it doesn't.

And for anybody who has seen him in a debate or interview, he is clearly in over his head. And somehow he is in the lead among the GOP field.

;

;

Quote:How does performing surgery and being a nice guy qualify someone to lead the United States?

In before "community organizer".

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Real time objective decision making

Quote:I don't know what's worse, pointless and unfounded charges of racism, or accusations that reasonable actions will result in pointless and unfounded charges of racism.
I agree with you and I wish I were wrong.  But think back with me for moment, anyone that disagreed with Obama was immediately labeled a racist.  It did not matter how much focus was put on what ever issue was being discussed, the standard answer was "you're just a racist".

Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

Quote:I agree with you and I wish I were wrong. But think back with me for moment, anyone that disagreed with Obama was immediately labeled a racist. It did not matter how much focus was put on what ever issue was being discussed, the standard answer was "you're just a racist".

True enough but to be fair Obama didn't make a lot of baseless claims like Carson has about the pyramids.

Quote:I agree with you and I wish I were wrong.  But think back with me for moment, anyone that disagreed with Obama was immediately labeled a racist.  It did not matter how much focus was put on what ever issue was being discussed, the standard answer was "you're just a racist".

I saw some of that, but not as all inclusive or consistent as you claim. Of course, if the only responses you read are Sharpton and others like him then, yes, it would seem like it's always as you say.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

I know too many people who support Ben Carson for all the wrong reasons.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke.