Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
*** THE OFFICIAL NBA THREAD ***

(This post was last modified: 04-26-2016, 12:20 AM by hailtoyourvictor.)

Quote:They wouldn't be if the guy was better at shooting them...

It's his fault and nobody else's that he can't make them.

Of course Drummond deserves blame for being a God awful FT shooter.

The point still remains that teams shouldn't be rewarded for a rule that's in place to deter fouling.

The below video being a used strategy is not good for the game of basketball:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crXq8RBCs3U

Note that this is at the start of the 3rd quarter.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 04-26-2016, 12:28 AM by Scarecrow.)

How would they be rewarded if he could make the free throws?

Would he be "hacked" if he could make a simple free throw?  

I'm fine with the rule.  Make your free throws and they won't use it.

Unless I'm missing something here which could be the case.

Jeff Van Gundy rants about intentional fouling 'farce,' and he's right

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-bask...-hes-right

"I want Philadelphia, when they play them, to expose this farce of a rule to the extreme," Van Gundy said. "I would foul [Jordan] every possession the whole game he's in there. From the opening tip, I'd grab him, then when they're taking it out, grab him before the ball is inbounds. That sends him to the free throw line. And then do it the entire game. Because we act like it is OK, this rule. This is a joke of a rule. In the last two minutes, you can't do it, but the first 46 it's OK? And people say, ‘Well, we don't want to reward a lack of skill to change the rule.' How about this: What type of skill is fouling? And I hope that Doc Rivers and J.B. Bickerstaff on January 18 Hack-a-Jordan and then Hack-a-Howard the whole game on national TV. I hope it's a 19-hour game that never ends because this is a joke of a rule."

"The rule in the last two minutes is you can't do this," Van Gundy said. "So, very basically I would like to see the rule for the last two minutes be the rule for the whole game. But if they don't want to do that, how about this: after eight team fouls, make it a three-to-make-two? You get three shots to make your two. Fouling should not be rewarded in basketball. Can you imagine like in pro football, holding being rewarded? Like go hold somebody, oh, that gives you a benefit? No. This is ridiculous."

Quote:How would they be rewarded if he could make the free throws?

Would he be "hacked" if he could make a simple free throw?  

I'm fine with the rule.  Make your free throws and they won't use it.

The fact is that teams are committing penalties as part of a strategy and being rewarded for it. Teams should be deterred from committing penalties, not rewarded for it like they are.  

(This post was last modified: 04-26-2016, 12:29 AM by hailtoyourvictor.)

Also, explain why it's illegal in the final 2 minutes of the game but it's okay in the first 46. I'll wait.

Quote:The fact is that teams are committing penalties as part of a strategy and being rewarded for it. Teams should be deterred from committing penalties, not rewarded for it like they are.  

If the players didn't have .355 FT% (Drummond) would they be doing this?

Quote:Also, explain why it's illegal in the final 2 minutes of the game but it's okay in the first 46. I'll wait.

I don't care why it's illegal in the final 2 minutes and I don't need to explain it.  Wait until you're Michigan blue in the face.

If the players shot better free throws (Shaq, Drummond etc) would teams be hacking them?

Quote:https://vine.co/v/izXzwM56BAq

This is part of why I can hardly stand to watch NBA basketball anymore.  Carmelo takes a half a dozen steps...no whistle blown for traveling.

You get your panties in a bunch over Bush League non-travel calls (rightfully so... we agree) but then see nothing wrong with this Bush League strategy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crXq8RBCs3U

lol okay.

There are a handful of simple and reasonable solutions to avoiding that joke of a strategy, too.

1. Make it illegal in the first 46 minutes like it is in the final 2.

or

2. Let teams choose who shoots the free throws on off-ball fouls the way teams choose who shoots free throws on technical fouls.

or

3. Give the team the option of shooting the free throws or taking the ball out of bounds in the first 46 minutes.

Any one of those makes sense and are better than hack-a-whoever strategies with 11:50 to go in the 3rd quarter.

(This post was last modified: 04-26-2016, 09:23 AM by TravC59.)

Quote:I'm saying that FTs aren't meant to be a reward for the team committing the foul.
Exactly. I agree. So step up and sink the Free throws.

They'll never take out the intentional foul, but they could tweak it for sure. The rule should make the person with the ball the foul shooter. Not someone off the ball like Drummond. That's the part I dislike.

I just read SVG's comments on this and he is right. As I was typing the part above I was thinking about the last two minutes he was talking about.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Dwight Howard had his best FT% year as a rookie and has never even come close to that percentage since. Oddly, his percentage basically dropped every year he was with the Magic. He actually just had the worst FT shooting year of his entire career this year.

Drummond.... My God.. That guy hasn't even sniffed 50% from the line in his career yet. I'd foul the crap out of the guy too.

Although it sucks for fans to watch, it is within the rules. These guys need to spend more time honing their craft. There is no reason a guy can't become a 60% FT shooter. 

Chris Paul out of the playoffs. The Warriors are truely blessed.

Quote:Chris Paul out of the playoffs. The Warriors are truely blessed.

How is that? Curry is also out for at least a couple weeks.

Sets up well for San Antonio if anybody.

Quote:How is that? Curry is also out for at least a couple weeks.

Sets up well for San Antonio if anybody.

That why they're blessed.

Quote:That why they're blessed.

Yep. I hate the OKC matchup for them though. Dangerous team.

OK Piston fans.  

Would you rather be swept 4-0 (in competitive games) and have that on your historical record

or

Be like the Mavs and win 1 game but get blown out in the other 4 ?

From a viewing standpoint, the Pistons looked a lot better than the Mavs BUT they'll have to live with the "got swept" term for future years to come.

Quote:Chris Paul out of the playoffs. The Warriors are truely blessed.

Relatively speaking, yes.   

Not only will CP3 be out for the remainder of the year BUT there is a likely probability that Portland will either beat the Clippers or take them to 7 games (allowing for another week before round 2 begins).

I'd like to see a Cavs / Warriors rematch in the finals.

Quote:OK Piston fans.  

Would you rather be swept 4-0 (in competitive games) and have that on your historical record

or

Be like the Mavs and win 1 game but get blown out in the other 4 ?

From a viewing standpoint, the Pistons looked a lot better than the Mavs BUT they'll have to live with the "got swept" term for future years to come.

Imagine going into the series knowing you essentially have zero chance of winning.

;

;

(This post was last modified: 04-26-2016, 12:00 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Quote:Imagine going into the series knowing you essentially have zero chance of winning.

Yep, pretty much.  There's a huge disparity in talent in the NBA between the top and middle.  Some of the Round 1 match-ups really suck so I must admit the NHL's 1st round is much better.  Round 2 in the NBA is when things get a lot better.  

That said, we have a few good games tonight with the Pacers v Raptors and then the Celtics v Hawks.

And part of that is caused by to any teams in the NBA (and the NHL, but that's a different thread) that make the playoffs. It's a joke. The real playoffs start round two. I know there have been upsets, bound to happen with the set up, but my point still remains.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

(This post was last modified: 04-26-2016, 01:44 PM by Bon Jagley.)

Quote:And part of that is caused by to any teams in the NBA (and the NHL, but that's a different thread) that make the playoffs. It's a joke. The real playoffs start round two. I know there have been upsets, bound to happen with the set up, but my point still remains.

We'll see. It would not surprise me to see Cleveland, GS and San Antonio cruise through the second round too.

The only interesting matchup will be the non-Cleveland series in the East.

;

;