Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Coaching decisions being questioned

It's not only about trying the same play 4 times.

It's the fact that:

1. Yeldon was running well.

2. We signed JT and he doesn't get a red zone target?

3. Bad situational coaching. FG would have put us up 3 scores.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 10-25-2015, 05:01 PM by wrong_box.)

Quote:What about the way Olsen has run the offense this year leads you to believe this? It was an obvious case of meddling by Gus.
Olsen is the OC he calls the plays not Gus...Put the blame where it belongs

Quote:Yeldon killing it all game and you give it 4 straight times to toby?  Does not make any sense
That short yardage package w/Alualu and Gerhart isn't working to say the least. Alualu isn't getting any penetration and Gerhart can't manuver past the pile up...

NH3...

"AZANE"

Quote:That's the point, though.

NO real NFL coach would run that play with their worst RB 4 times in a row.  You cannot give Bradley a pass on that.  He's literally in over his head.  And you just said it yourself.

You say most coaches wouldn't run it 4 times in a row.  I'm telling you.  NO COACH would.  What we have is the worst coach in the NFL who really does not deserve to be leading an NFL team hindering the success of our team.
OLSEN calls the plays not gus...good lord people hate gus so bad they will not assign blame where it belongs...I'm not a big gus supporter, but put the blame on the play caller

Quote:Olsen is the OC he calls the plays nor Gus...Put the blame where it belongs

Hypothetically, if Olsen called for the exact same play and Gus went along with it, he's still an idiot coach.  A competent HC, in that case, would call a time out and then go and show the OC the back of his hand.

Quote:Olsen is the OC he calls the plays not Gus...Put the blame where it belongs
I agree...

NH3...

"AZANE"

Quote:OLSEN calls the plays not gus...good lord people hate gus so bad they will not assign blame where it belongs...I'm not a big gus supporter, but put the blame on the play caller

Gus goes for it when a FG puts us up 3 scores.

Defend that...

Amazing that some fans think Gus calls the plays. 

Anyway, it's a play that wouldn't be questioned if it worked. 

Quote:Hypothetically, if Olsen called for the exact same play and Gus went along with it, he's still an idiot coach.  A competent HC, in that case, would call a time out and then go and show the OC the back of his hand.
he only had 1 timeout I believe...that would have killed us to use it at that time

Quote:Olsen is the OC he calls the plays not Gus...Put the blame where it belongs

The OC does his job at the pleasure of the coach. When the coach says "we're going up the gut all four downs if need be" then is it Olsen making the call since he's the guy relaying it in to Bortles or is it actually Gus making the call? If you want to be pedantic then Olsen literally calls every play, if you want to talk about the reality of whom was responsible then it was more likely to be our pizza party throwing head cheerleader, I mean, coach.

Quote:OLSEN calls the plays not gus...good lord people hate gus so bad they will not assign blame where it belongs...I'm not a big gus supporter, but put the blame on the play caller

Dude, you think Gus is in the dark regarding situations like this?  You don't think that Olsen told Gus, hey, here's what we're planning on doing.

And Gus was OK with it?  

The correct response to the decision to run the same play with Gerhart 4 times in a row is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x-fkSYDtUY

not this:

[Image: 2tpadzw.gif]

Ok, let's say Olson did get stubborn and wanted to run the same play 4 times. After watching it fail three times, can't Gus Bradley, as the Head Freakin Coach, say "Screw this, we're kicking the FG or try something else"?

Quote:Gus goes for it when a FG puts us up 3 scores.

Defend that...
6 points is better than 3 points and with our great kicker you never know if he will make it or not...it was about even odds for a td or fg

Quote:6 points is better than 3 points and with our great kicker you never know if he will make it or not...it was about even odds for a td or fg

It was a bad call and a small sample size of why Gus isn't a good coach.

Quote:The OC does his job at the pleasure of the coach. When the coach says "we're going up the gut all four downs if need be" then is it Olsen making the call since he's the guy relaying it in to Bortles or is it actually Gus making the call? If you want to be pedantic then Olsen literally calls every play, if you want to talk about the reality of whom was responsible then it was more likely to be our pizza party throwing head cheerleader, I mean, coach.
I would think at that stage of the game Gus told Olsen it's 4 down territory, there is no sense in having a OC if the HC is going to call the plays

Quote:What about the way Olsen has run the offense this year leads you to believe this? It was an obvious case of meddling by Gus.

First off, I don't think Olson is immune to making mistakes. Secondly, I don't think Gus really meddles with the offensive play calling especially when we're up 27-13 in the second half. Unless they come out and say Gus overruled Olson and decided to run that formation four straight times, I'm going to assume that the guy who has called the plays all season called those plays.

Quote:The OC does his job at the pleasure of the coach. When the coach says "we're going up the gut all four downs if need be" then is it Olsen making the call since he's the guy relaying it in to Bortles or is it actually Gus making the call? If you want to be pedantic then Olsen literally calls every play, if you want to talk about the reality of whom was responsible then it was more likely to be our pizza party throwing head cheerleader, I mean, coach.

Well said.  I totally agree.

(This post was last modified: 10-25-2015, 05:09 PM by wrong_box.)

Quote:Dude, you think Gus is in the dark regarding situations like this?  You don't think that Olsen told Gus, hey, here's what we're planning on doing.

And Gus was OK with it?  

The correct response to the decision to run the same play with Gerhart 4 times in a row is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x-fkSYDtUY

not this:

[Image: 2tpadzw.gif]
what I think is Olsen was hired to be the OC which means calling the plays...and I doubt that except for very rare occurrences Gus overides him 

Quote:6 points is better than 3 points and with our great kicker you never know if he will make it or not...it was about even odds for a td or fg

Well you did defend it.  It's a bad defense, but you were up against the 8 ball trying to defend that idiot anyways.  I give you an A for effort.  But come one, you take the points in that situation.  Everyone knows you take the points.

It's too early in the game to be going for it on 4th down.  Only an idiot HC goes for it in that situation.  You risk losing momentum, you leave points on the table, etc if you go for it.  Any real HC knows that in that situation, with the amount of time left in the game, you kick the FG.

Quote:I would think at that stage of the game Gus told Olsen it's 4 down territory, there is no sense in having a OC if the HC is going to call the plays

You're not giving Gus enough credit, it's much more likely he said something like, "We're up fourteen at the one yard line, we're going for it on all four downs, so make sure we don't have a turnover or plays for loss," at the very least, and quite likely he specifically said "up the gut as many times as it takes."