Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Coaching decisions being questioned

Quote:what I think is Olsen has hired to be the OC which means calling the plays...and I doubt that except for very rare occurrences Gus overides him 

While I agree that Olsen calls the plays.  I think a real HC must over-ride when appropriate.  I also think that Bradley provides the philosophy and direction of the types of plays to run in any situation.

Either way, Bradley is responsible for the 4 down fiasco that almost cost us the game.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Well you did defend it.  It's a bad defense, but you were up against the 8 ball trying to defend that idiot anyways.  I give you an A for effort.  But come one, you take the points in that situation.  Everyone knows you take the points.

It's too early in the game to be going for it on 4th down.  Only an idiot HC goes for it in that situation.  You risk losing momentum, you leave points on the table, etc if you go for it.  Any real HC knows that in that situation, with the amount of time left in the game, you kick the FG.
I'm not defending Gus, I'm just looking at this objectively with an open mind. I'm not going into this topic with my mind made up that it was Gus's fault...Would you rather try and punch a td in from the 1 yard line or try a field goal with our kicker who has missed more than he has hit?  

Quote:Gus goes for it when a FG puts us up 3 scores.

Defend that...

I wouldn't have ran that play four times, but I'm perfectly fine with going for it on fourth down from the one yard line. Scoring a TD on a nearly 10 minute drive to open the second half would have been demoralizing. It shows you're dictating how the game will be played and ramps up the pressure on the Buffalo even more than what a FG would have done.

Quote:While I agree that Olsen calls the plays.  I think a real HC must over-ride when appropriate.  I also think that Bradley provides the philosophy and direction of the types of plays to run in any situation.

Either way, Bradley is responsible for the 4 down fiasco that almost cost us the game.
still the question remains...would you rather the kicker try a field goal when he's missed more than he has made, or try and punch it in from the 1 yard line?

Quote:I wouldn't have ran that play four times, but I'm perfectly fine with going for it on fourth down from the one yard line. Scoring a TD on a nearly 10 minute drive to open the second half would have been demoralizing. It shows you're dictating how the game will be played and ramps up the pressure on the Buffalo even more than what a FG would have done.

I feel the same. Going for it on fourth wasn't a problem at all, handing off to your worst offensive skill player four times in a row when you have guys like Julius Thomas and Allen Robinson on your team is the problem.

Quote:While I agree that Olsen calls the plays.  I think a real HC must over-ride when appropriate.  I also think that Bradley provides the philosophy and direction of the types of plays to run in any situation.

Oh I'm not saying Gus made a good decision, but I think the odds of making a field goal vs a TD would have favored the td

Quote:I feel the same. Going for it on fourth wasn't a problem at all, handing off to your worst offensive skill player four times in a row when you have guys like Julius Thomas and Allen Robinson on your team is the problem.

Seriously. We have thrown fades to ARob plenty this year and now Olsen doesn't throw it? Seems like the HC had a hand in there....

Quote:I feel the same. Going for it on fourth wasn't a problem at all, handing off to your worst offensive skill player four times in a row when you have guys like Julius Thomas and Allen Robinson on your team is the problem.

I don't disagree with that.

I'm just curious. Who gets credit for the good plays?
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:I'm not defending Gus, I'm just looking at this objectively with an open mind. I'm not going into this topic with my mind made up that it was Gus's fault...Would you rather try and punch a td in from the 1 yard line or try a field goal with our kicker who has missed more than he has hit?  

Well, then in terms of "open-mindedness", you probably have me beat.  I'm not going to sit here and tell you I don't have a very specific point of view when it comes to Bradley...

But, with that said, I believe that in the game day thread I said that we need to go for the FG.  In my mind, a FG at that point would have pretty much wrapped up the game.  When we went for it on 4th down, I didn't like the call.  It's early in the 3rd quarter.  You don't want to change the momentum of the game with a stuffed 4th down attempt.

Also, the FG would have been like a 20 yarder.  I know Myers is inconsistent.  But I don't see how he misses from 20.  Even for Myers, you kick the FG.

But again, what is even more annoying is that they do the same exact play on 4th down.  Use your best players,. for the love of Pete!  Again, I'm trying to be as objective as someone that cannot stand Bradley can be.  But I just don't see how a legitimate HC doesn't make sure the proper thing is done.  Bradley is just in way over his head, in my opinion.

(This post was last modified: 10-25-2015, 05:20 PM by wrong_box.)

Quote:Well, then in terms of "open-mindedness", you probably have me beat.  I'm not going to sit here and tell you I don't have a very specific point of view when it comes to Bradley...

But, with that said, I believe that in the game day thread I said that we need to go for the FG.  In my mind, a FG at that point would have pretty much wrapped up the game.  When we went for it on 4th down, I didn't like the call.  It's early in the 3rd quarter.  You don't want to change the momentum of the game with a stuffed 4th down attempt.

Also, the FG would have been like a 20 yarder.  I know Myers is inconsistent.  But I don't see how he misses from 20.  Even for Myers, you kick the FG.

But again, what is even more annoying is that they do the same exact play on 4th down.  Use your best players,. for the love of Pete!  Again, I'm trying to be as objective as someone that cannot stand Bradley can be.  But I just don't see how a legitimate HC doesn't make sure the proper thing is done.  Bradley is just in way over his head, in my opinion.
I agree that the same play 4 times in a row was dumb...But I have zero faith in the kicker to make a FG...If we had tried for a FG and he missed, then this thread would be all about why didn't we go for it from the 1

Quote:Seriously. We have thrown fades to ARob plenty this year and now Olsen doesn't throw it? Seems like the HC had a hand in there....

I still doubt it. It's likely Olson just got stubborn in the situation. It was first down from the one yard line and I bet he thought to himself that we will overpower you and we will score on you when you know exactly what's coming. It goes back to my other post about dictating to Buffalo how this game will be played. Obviously it backfired though.

Quote:I'm just curious. Who gets credit for the good plays?

I'll take it.

Quote:Oh I'm not saying Gus made a good decision, but I think the odds of making a field goal vs a TD would have favored the td

Check my above post...

I hear ya about Myers...  But we're talking about a 15 or 20 yard FG as opposed to the 30 yarders that the new extra point range is now at.  I think it's a chip shot, even for that yahoo...

Also, remember that he hit the FG at the end of the game on Hurns' TD.  A 20 yard chip shot is exponentially easier for a guy that has mental blocks on the 30 yard extra points he's been having adventures on.

So yeah, I think the FG would have been automatic.  Even for Myers.

Quote:Well, then in terms of "open-mindedness", you probably have me beat.  I'm not going to sit here and tell you I don't have a very specific point of view when it comes to Bradley...

Also, the FG would have been like a 20 yarder.  I know Myers is inconsistent.  But I don't see how he misses from 20
.  Even for Myers, you kick the FG.

he can miss from 20 as easy as he misses the PAT

Quote:I agree that the same play 4 times in a row was dumb...But I have zero faith in the kicker to make a FG...If we had tried for a FG and he missed, then this thread would be all about why didn't we go for it from the 1

I don't know...  Like I said, I think a FG from inside the 5 is exponentially more makable than the extra points nowadays.  

Quote:Check my above post...

I hear ya about Myers... But we're talking about a 15 or 20 yard FG as opposed to the 30 yarders that the new extra point range is now at. I think it's a chip shot, even for that yahoo...

Also, remember that he hit the FG at the end of the game on Hurns' TD. A 20 yard chip shot is exponentially easier for a guy that has mental blocks on the 30 yard extra points he's been having adventures on.

So yeah, I think the FG would have been automatic. Even for Myers.

I don't have any problems with the aggressiveness shown. I would have definitely called a different series of plays regardless of who is responsible for calling those.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(This post was last modified: 10-25-2015, 05:24 PM by C'MON JAGS.)

Quote:It's not only about trying the same play 4 times.

It's the fact that:

1. Yeldon was running well.

2. We signed JT and he doesn't get a red zone target?

3. Bad situational coaching. FG would have put us up 3 scores.

3 for 3 SC, that's a stand up triple. Well done!!!!!!!!

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote:he can miss from 20 as easy as he misses the PAT

You can say that...  But there's obviously a huge different from a 15 yarder compared to a 33 yarder (current distance for an xtra point)

Quote:I'm just curious. Who gets credit for the good plays?
No one...just the players...Gus or his assistants can never get to share the glory, the guy selling hot dogs will get more credit for anything good than Gus or his assistant coaches will