Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Quote from Shad Khan on Dave and Gus

Quote:Dallas was a playoff team the year before Garrett took over. Actually, 2006-2009 Dallas had a winning record. He followed his intern season in 2010 with back to back to back 8-8 seasons. Garret has 1 winning season in his 4 full years as head coach.

Garrett's head was called for multiple times for turning a perennial winning team into a .500 team. The only reason he stuck around was because of his personal relationship with Jerry Jones.

Garrett isn't the type of "success" story I want as a head coach.
Again, its not the point.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 10-20-2015, 10:10 PM by JagsFansince1995.)

Quote:Marty Shottenheimer, Jeff Fisher, and Jason Garret? If any of that type of coach were on the Jaguars, you'd be an idiot not to give him a chance. They've all been to superbowls, outside of Garret, who has consistant, deep playoff level teams.

Its besides the point,anyway. People who want Marrone to take over, including myself, sound like they highly doubt he is the answer. People want to win games, plain and simple. We have drafted in the top 10 for the past decade, still nothing. David Caldwell should be a savy enough GM to find a player later than the 10th pick. Even if Marrone finished 6-10 we would likely have a top 10 pick anyway.

We dont need a QB, picking that high is pretty unnecessary if we take a LB/CB/OG/DT.

Oh boy, i actually agree with everything you said EXCEPT, letting Marrone take over.  If he is not the answer, like Gus right, don't waste anymore time until we have a decent list of candidates.  Everyone we interview should have some type of past success, so lets not jump the gun and end up shooting ourselves in the foot.  If he has decent success, who's to say no other HC, playoff team Coordinator, or any "OK" coach couldn't have and then we give him the job.  With 4-5 wins as the deal maker and the easiest part of the schedule coming up, wouldn't that be a pointless HC evaluation.

Season Tix, Section 409

2023 and still counting.....SB will finally be ours soon enough.
TLaw aka 'the prince that was promised' supporter.

(This post was last modified: 10-20-2015, 10:10 PM by BritishJag.)

Why are Fisher and Garett being mentioned? Both average coaches. Fisher has done nothing of note in about a decade.

Taking a team to a Superbowl once is hardly anything amazing, plenty of mediocre coaches have done it. John Fox most recently.

Quote:Again, its not the point.

What's the point? Would a 6-10 season be all that much better than a 4-12 season?
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:What's the point? Would a 6-10 season be all that much better than a 4-12 season?
Yes. It means the Jags close out the season 5-5.

(This post was last modified: 10-20-2015, 10:17 PM by knarnn.)

Quote:Yes. It means the Jags close out the season 5-5.

[Image: JVDBslowclap.gif?w=480&h=480&fit=clip]

Whoopty freaking doo.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Media fluff. Move on. All of you who are taking this to heart need to watch the news and owners more often. Shad WOULD BE UNPROFESSIONAL if he told the media that Gus is on the hot seat. It would HURT our chances at better coaches because they'll see an owner who will sell them out mid-season to the media. 

Please, If any of you have brains, Let that sink in. Bradley will get fired if he doesn't pick it up. Firing a coach mid-season doesn't turn any team around or send them destined for playoffs. Its never worked. And I don't want to hear "Lets see what we have in marone". He isn't a good head coach either. "But what about Cambell and miami?" Please. They still won't be anywhere near the playoffs. One game doesn't turn around a team.

Thank you for stating the obvious even though so many here can't even see it. As an owner Khan has to be careful with his words because anything suggesting he's not on board with the coaches would risk losing the players in the locker room, and that would only make things even worse. And it CAN get worse.

'02

(This post was last modified: 10-20-2015, 10:20 PM by Joe.)

Quote:What's the point? Would a 6-10 season be all that much better than a 4-12 season?
Do you see this team going 4-12 under Gus Bradley? Serious question, im not being a smart [BAD WORD REMOVED].

I dont. I dont even think Marrone would be able to get to 6-10, but hey, why not atleast try to see if he can. If Marrone went 5-4, would you not be impressed? I know I, along with all Jag fans, would love to see some more wins.

This team doesn't need a QB. We will likely take a LB/CB/OG/DT A top 5 pick isnt needed. Like I said before, Caldwell should be savy enough to get a quality mid round 1st round pick, even though 6-10 would probably get us a top 10 pick anyway. He, ideally, would have to do it sometime anyway, right?

This team needs wins.

Quote:Again, its not the point.
It's 100% about the point being made in the post I quoted.

Firing Del Rio mid season for an intern coach really jump started this franchise.

(This post was last modified: 10-20-2015, 10:24 PM by Joe.)

Quote:It's 100% about the point being made in the post I quoted.
Its really not. I even said in the quote that its not the point. I said people want to win, and I think most believe that Marrone isnt the answer.

If he isnt the answer, get a new HC in the offseason, like we will likely do anyway. This team needs to win, especially when our season ticket sales plummet next year.

Quote:Do you see this team going 4-12 under Gus Bradley? Serious question, im not being a smart [BAD WORD REMOVED].

I dont. I dont even think Marrone would be able to get to 6-10, but hey, why not atleast try to see if he can. If Marrone went 5-4, would you not be impressed? I know I, along with all Jag fans, would love to see some more wins.

This team doesn't need a QB. A top 5 pick isnt needed. Like I said before, Caldwell should be savy enough to get a quality mid round 1st round pick, even though 6-10 would probably get us a top 10 pick anyway.

This team needs wins.

I'm sure Gus could. Its not hard to luck into a couple of wins. Gus has been doing it for the past 2 seasons.

I'm tired of settling. I want to be really damn good or really damn bad. This settling for just ok is why we are in this situation as it is. This defense needs a complete overhaul and we need to catch lightning in a bottle for once. A Calvin Johnson or Von Miller type pick would really do this team wonders. I would rather have the chance to pick from the best of the bunch vs picking from what's left over.

Quote:So we have one example in how many years of football? We're not even going to count a guy who just coached his first game.

Now honest question, which is better...firing Gus, hiring Marrone to win a couple meaningless games, risk a change in offensive philosophy and possibly hindering Bortles continued development....or keeping Gus to the end of the season then firing him, picking higher in the draft than you would have if you won those meaningless games, and still having the opportunity to interview and eventually hire Marrone or whoever else you choose?

The only positive to firing Gus right now is to appease the angry fans. I'd rather keep this going until the end of the season to ensure our highest pick in the draft and at a minimum, Bortles continued progression without more unnecessary distractions. Marrone will still be available for hire at the end of the season if that's what we want.

Well, just to answer your question, it would also allow the team a chance to see if Marrone is any good at the HC position instead of trying to make that decision after the season based on nothing.

'02

Quote:Firing Del Rio mid season for an intern coach really jump started this franchise.
I guess we should stick with the 8-31 coach then.

Quote:Its really not. I even said in the quote that its not the point. I said people want to win, and I think most believe that Marrone isnt the answer.

If he isnt the answer, get a new HC in the offseason, like we will likely do anyway. This team needs to win, especially when our season ticket sales plummet next year.
When I am referring to your post I will quote them.

Quote:I'm sure Gus could. Its not hard to luck into a couple of wins. Gus has been doing it for the past 2 seasons.

I'm tired of settling. I want to be really damn good or really damn bad. This settling for just ok is why we are in this situation as it is. This defense needs a complete overhaul and we need to catch lightning in a bottle for once. A Calvin Johnson or Von Miller type pick would really do this team wonders. I would rather have the chance to pick from the best of the bunch vs picking from what's left over.
We've been really damn bad for about 10 years now. Being "ok" would be a godsend.

The Jags wouldnt have to keep Marrone, and if they did, they would atleast have 9 games they can go off of.

Quote:Why would we change offensive philosophy if Marrone takes over? If we fire gus now, we will know what Marrone can do now, rather than hiring him in the offseason and not turning out to be a good choice.

Quote:If Gus is fired Monday Marrone would have a chance to show whether or not he's good enough to be the head coach next year. Otherwise we'd just be deciding whether or not to hire Marrone based on what we already know. Is a trial period an advantage? I don't see it as a disadvantage. Knowledge is power.

The OC and the offensive playbook wouldn't change under Marrone. The "philosophy" might change in the form of maybe running more or going more/less conservative with a lead, but that wouldn't hinder Bortles development.

Choosing to keep Bradley in order to get a higher draft pick? Preferring to lose, is that your position?

I spoke to soon. I could have just replied with... " ^^^^^What they said."

'02

Quote:Honestly from an owner stand point, that's the right thing to say. Obviously he'll address things if we can't turn it around by season end, but do you really want him bashing Gus to the media? The owner/GM/HC trio is probably the most important thing to be in sync to build a franchise. I'd rather a patient owner than one who wants to blow it up every year. Unfortunately it doesn't look like it's working this go around.

We have one of the easier schedules to end the season, let's see how things play out first.

Exactly! It would be dumb of khan to start bashing publicly because at that point what's the point. It wouldn't accomplish anything. He's gotta play nice till he's ready to crap can em.

Quote:Well, just to answer your question, it would also allow the team a chance to see if Marrone is any good at the HC position instead of trying to make that decision after the season based on nothing.

Marrone has experience as a head coach already. He has a full season of work from last season you can judge him on if that's what you're looking for.

Quote:I guess we should stick with the 8-31 coach then.
There isn't much to be gained by firing the coach mid season unless you are trying to emulate the move that began the franchises current death spiral.