Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Shooting at Umpqua Community College in Roseburg, Oregon. 10 reported dead. 20 wounded.

(This post was last modified: 10-07-2015, 12:34 PM by EricC85.)

Quote:One wouldn't take an AK47 or an AR15 hunting. Those are used for a very different purpose.

Agreed I have different rifles for hunting and unless your hunting hogs it's illegal to take a rifle with that large of a magazine hunting anyway
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Perhaps our country needs to educate more rather than parents throwing their kids in front of a television or a video game.

Quote:"Ok class, this is an AR-15. This is what you use when you want to kill lots of people really fast. Or, you know, take down an elephant, but when's the last time you saw a wild elephant on US soil?"

Point being that I fail to see how teaching kids to use guns is going to do anything to deter people from killing each other with them.
That's indoctrination into gun culture. That's ok because we like guns. 

I wonder how many people calling for teaching guns in schools are also on board with sex education in schools. I would wager not very many. 

(This post was last modified: 10-07-2015, 01:13 PM by Jaguar Warrior.)

Quote:That's indoctrination into gun culture. That's ok because we like guns. 

Yes, all education is a form indoctrination. What is your point?

It is only acceptable to educate on cultures specifically provided by the government?

Quote:I wonder how many people calling for teaching guns in schools are also on board with sex education in schools. I would wager not very many. 

I wonder how many people calling for teaching guns in schools are also on board with requiring licensing for guns complete with test.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

(This post was last modified: 10-07-2015, 01:30 PM by boudreaumw.)

Quote:Yes, all education is a form indoctrination. What is your point?

It is only acceptable to educate on cultures specifically provided by the government?
My point is claiming education is indoctrination but then calling for gun culture indoctrination in schools is a tad hypocritical. 

Surely you realized what my point was. 

Quote:Father of the year stuff that Eric. Maybe teach something that is a useful life skill next time.

We're also teaching them how to cultivate the land to grow different consumable plants. My two oldest help when I butcher our meat chickens my two youngest help feed and water the baby chickens.

We're big in teaching self sufficient lifestyle which includes knowing how to handle firearms.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:My point is claiming education is indoctrination but then calling for gun culture indoctrination in schools is a tad hypocritical. 

Surely you realized what my point was. 

Not really, but I do understand that people who are anti-gun wouldn't even want their children being taught how to safely use or store one. I can respect that. It is the same reason why parents don't want the state teaching their children about sex education. To each their own. Maybe making it an optional or parent-approval-only type class would work.

(This post was last modified: 10-07-2015, 02:36 PM by Jaguar Warrior.)

Quote:We're also teaching them how to cultivate the land to grow different consumable plants. My two oldest help when I butcher our meat chickens my two youngest help feed and water the baby chickens.

We're big in teaching self sufficient lifestyle which includes knowing how to handle firearms.

You don't have to justify yourself to him. When you live in a fantasy land like lastonealive, your views on life are so warped you immediately disrespect any sort of lifestyle that differs from your social norm, regardless of its advantages or logical superiority.

Quote:You don't have to justify yourself to him. When you live in a fantasy land like lastonealive, your views on life are so warped you immediately disrespect any sort of lifestyle that differs from your social norm, regardless of its advantages or logical superiority.
Sounds like something you should say to lot's of conservatives.

Quote:Not really, but I do understand that people who are anti-gun wouldn't even want their children being taught how to safely use or store one. I can respect that. It is the same reason why parents don't want the state teaching their children about sex education. To each their own. Maybe making it an optional or parent-approval-only type class would work.
Not really as in that's not hypocritical? That's pretty much cut and dry hypocrisy. 

I don't really care if local schools want to teach pretty much anything. Anything that is not regular educational curriculum should be opt out. We can agree on that. 

Quote:One wouldn't take an AK47 or an AR15 hunting. Those are used for a very different purpose.

On the contrary, an AK47 would be a very good choice for hunting wild boar or mule deer for example.  It has slightly better ballistics than the 30-30 that I started with for hunting deer/turkey/bear.  The reason I name those three animals is when I lived in New Mexico and used to hunt, the license had a tag for one each of those animals.  I would probably opt for better stopping power if I was specifically hunting for bear, but for a mule deer or a turkey it would work just fine.  I personally went up from my original 30-30 to the 30-06 and eventually to a 308.  I still currently own all three of these weapons among others.

The AR15 would be what we used to call a "varmmit rifle" used for smaller game such as rabbits.  Typically one wouldn't use an AR15 for hunting, it's mostly used for target competitions or shooting enthusiasts.

Quote:I wonder how many people calling for teaching guns in schools are also on board with sex education in schools. I would wager not very many. 

I don't think that anyone is calling for teaching guns in schools as part of a regular curriculum.  When I took my Hunter's Safety Course in 5th grade it was an extra curricular activity offered by the school and took place after school hours, the same as the cub scouts that I was involved in.

Since you want to try to take this thread off topic, I'll answer your question regarding sex education.  I was taught at an early age (though we all knew) the "facts of life" in around the 3rd grade.  I don't have a problem with teaching responsible sex habits in the early teen years (around 13 years old or a freshman in high school), as long as it's education.  I disagree with handing out condoms or other birth control methods at school period.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 10-07-2015, 04:26 PM by Jaguar Warrior.)

Quote:Not really as in that's not hypocritical? That's pretty much cut and dry hypocrisy.

Well, first off I don't think teaching gun safety is indoctrination on gun culture. You aren't encouraging them to purchase guns for self-defense or go target shooting or hunting. Some people may unintentionally come into contact with guns, so why not ensure the individual is safe in that matter? That is my opinion though. If you think teaching gun safety is indoctrination on gun culture, that's your opinion. You would view it as hypocritical in this case, I wouldn't.

Quote:I wonder how many people calling for teaching guns in schools are also on board with requiring licensing for guns complete with test.

First of all, as stated above I am not saying teach guns in schools as a regular curriculum.  The proper use, maintenance and storage of guns should be offered as an elective or extra curricular at schools though.  This is one of those things that should be a State issue rather than a federal issue though.

I wouldn't be against testing or licensing, especially when dealing with under age children.  My certificate that I earned enabled me to buy a hunting license.  Without the certificate, I wouldn't have been able to purchase one until I reached the age of 17 (if I remember correctly).

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:On the contrary, an AK47 would be a very good choice for hunting wild boar or mule deer for example.  It has slightly better ballistics than the 30-30 that I started with for hunting deer/turkey/bear.  The reason I name those three animals is when I lived in New Mexico and used to hunt, the license had a tag for one each of those animals.  I would probably opt for better stopping power if I was specifically hunting for bear, but for a mule deer or a turkey it would work just fine.  I personally went up from my original 30-30 to the 30-06 and eventually to a 308.  I still currently own all three of these weapons among others.

The AR15 would be what we used to call a "varmmit rifle" used for smaller game such as rabbits.  Typically one wouldn't use an AR15 for hunting, it's mostly used for target competitions or shooting enthusiasts.

I don't think that anyone is calling for teaching guns in schools as part of a regular curriculum.  When I took my Hunter's Safety Course in 5th grade it was an extra curricular activity offered by the school and took place after school hours, the same as the cub scouts that I was involved in.

Since you want to try to take this thread off topic, I'll answer your question regarding sex education.  I was taught at an early age (though we all knew) the "facts of life" in around the 3rd grade.  I don't have a problem with teaching responsible sex habits in the early teen years (around 13 years old or a freshman in high school), as long as it's education.  I disagree with handing out condoms or other birth control methods at school period.
Fair enough. The question was broad and general rather than directed at you or anyone in particular TBH. It's not really off topic seeing as both involved teaching things in school that parents may or may, have or have not, objected to in the past. I think it's a reasonably comparison regardless.

Quote:On the contrary, an AK47 would be a very good choice for hunting wild boar or mule deer for example. It has slightly better ballistics than the 30-30 that I started with for hunting deer/turkey/bear. The reason I name those three animals is when I lived in New Mexico and used to hunt, the license had a tag for one each of those animals. I would probably opt for better stopping power if I was specifically hunting for bear, but for a mule deer or a turkey it would work just fine. I personally went up from my original 30-30 to the 30-06 and eventually to a 308. I still currently own all three of these weapons among others.

The AR15 would be what we used to call a "varmmit rifle" used for smaller game such as rabbits. Typically one wouldn't use an AR15 for hunting, it's mostly used for target competitions or shooting enthusiasts.

I don't think that anyone is calling for teaching guns in schools as part of a regular curriculum. When I took my Hunter's Safety Course in 5th grade it was an extra curricular activity offered by the school and took place after school hours, the same as the cub scouts that I was involved in.

Since you want to try to take this thread off topic, I'll answer your question regarding sex education. I was taught at an early age (though we all knew) the "facts of life" in around the 3rd grade. I don't have a problem with teaching responsible sex habits in the early teen years (around 13 years old or a freshman in high school), as long as it's education. I disagree with handing out condoms or other birth control methods at school period.

I get that hunting boars has dangers you don't get with hunting deer, and call me old fashioned, but using an AK47 just seems to eliminate any sense of sport you can get from it. Technically people fish with dynamite too.
Only a chump boos the home team!

Quote:I get that hunting boars has dangers you don't get with hunting deer, and call me old fashioned, but using an AK47 just seems to eliminate any sense of sport you can get from it. Technically people fish with dynamite too.

That's not really a fair or accurate analogy.  I suspect that you, like many others do not know a whole lot about guns.

First of all, why does using an AK-47 eliminate any sense of sport when used for hunting?  After all, people have been using similar weapons for years for not only boar hunting, but deer hunting as well.

Name one instance where people really used dynamite for fishing (which by the way is very illegal).

Quote:That's not really a fair or accurate analogy.  I suspect that you, like many others do not know a whole lot about guns.

First of all, why does using an AK-47 eliminate any sense of sport when used for hunting?  After all, people have been using similar weapons for years for not only boar hunting, but deer hunting as well.

Name one instance where people really used dynamite for fishing (which by the way is very illegal).
Because squeezing off ten rounds in rapid succession from fifty feet is a little bit easier than landing a hit from a compound bow at 100 yards.

Also, https://www.youtube.com/results?search_q...te+fishing

Quote:Because squeezing off ten rounds in rapid succession from fifty feet is a little bit easier than landing a hit from a compound bow at 100 yards.

Also, https://www.youtube.com/results?search_q...te+fishing

If you are doing it for sport, sure. If you are doing it because you need/want food, what does it matter?

Quote:If you are doing it for sport, sure. If you are doing it because you need/want food, what does it matter?
If you're subsistence hunting with an AK 47, you should probably reevaluate how your money is spent.