Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Shooting at Umpqua Community College in Roseburg, Oregon. 10 reported dead. 20 wounded.

Quote:If you're subsistence hunting with an AK 47, you should probably reevaluate how your money is spent.

True, but if that's all you have for ammo or weaponry what else are you going to do?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:True, but if that's all you have for ammo or weaponry what else are you going to do?
Spend your money more wisely when your next purchasing opportunity comes up.

Quote:Because squeezing off ten rounds in rapid succession from fifty feet is a little bit easier than landing a hit from a compound bow at 100 yards.

Also, https://www.youtube.com/results?search_q...te+fishing

You don't know hunting very well.  Even if you have a semi-automatic rifle, you don't shoot ten rounds in rapid succession.

I find it interesting that the first few hits on your link regarding fishing with dynamite happen to be filmed in places other than the U.S.  Keep trying though.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:You don't know hunting very well.  Even if you have a semi-automatic rifle, you don't shoot ten rounds in rapid succession.

I find it interesting that the first few hits on your link regarding fishing with dynamite happen to be filmed in places other than the U.S.  Keep trying though.
Quote:Name one instance where people really used dynamite for fishing (which by the way is very illegal).
I don't see anything about the United States as a qualifier in your original request.

Quote:I don't see anything about the United States as a qualifier in your original request.

LOL.  You're trying TJ, I'll give you that.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Just read an article on how a "good guy with a gun" intervened during an attempted carjacking in Houston last week and accidentally shot the would be carjacking victim in the head, realized his error, grabbed his casings and fled the scene. The would be carjackers got away. Also a woman in Michigan with a concealed permit saw a loss prevention employee chasing two guys out of a Home Depot with stolen goods and decided to unload her 9mm into a vehicle being driven by thieves who ultimately got away. So.. it's good to see the mentality that we need more guns in the hands of civilians to protect against crime is still strong. I'm just a crazy guy who thinks we'd still be safer with less bullets whizzing through the air missing their mark.
Only a chump boos the home team!

Quote:Just read an article on how a "good guy with a gun" intervened during an attempted carjacking in Houston last week and accidentally shot the would be carjacking victim in the head, realized his error, grabbed his casings and fled the scene. The would be carjackers got away. Also a woman in Michigan with a concealed permit saw a loss prevention employee chasing two guys out of a Home Depot with stolen goods and decided to unload her 9mm into a vehicle being driven by thieves who ultimately got away. So.. it's good to see the mentality that we need more guns in the hands of civilians to protect against crime is still strong. I'm just a crazy guy who thinks we'd still be safer with less bullets whizzing through the air missing their mark.

How about a counter that restrictive gun laws have no impact on homicide and accidental gun death rates?

"The correlation between the homicide rate and Brady score in all 51 jurisdictions is +.032 (on a scale of -1 to +1), which means that states with more gun restrictions on average have very slightly <i>higher</i><span style="color:rgb(17,17,17);font-family:Georgia;"> homicide rates, though the tendency is so small as to be essentially zero. (If you omit the fatal gun accident rates, then the correlation would be +.065, which would make the more gun-restricting states look slightly worse; but again, the correlation would be small enough to be essentially zero, given all the other possible sources of variation).</span>

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2015/10/06/zero-correlation-between-state-homicide-rate-and-state-gun-laws/ 

Or a few stories about what happens when armed self-defense works?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2015/10/03/do-civilians-with-guns-ever-stop-mass-shootings/

Or when a good guy with a gun meets a bad guy intent to kill with a gun?

http://controversialtimes.com/issues/constitutional-rights/12-times-mass-shootings-were-stopped-by-good-guys-with-guns/

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2015, 11:13 AM by Kotite.)

I'm not saying that there are NO instances where bad people are stopped by good people with guns. But for every positive example you can point to, I bet I can provide one where someone was accidentally killed or injured by a bullet that fired either missing its mark or from a gun that unintentionally went off. I also feel that a lot of gun owners imagine themselves to be better marksmen than they actually are or turn into John MacLean from Die Hard when a situation presents itself to intervene and use their gun. This is a broad statement and I acknowledge there are several responsible gun owners who were properly trained and would never put innocent people in harm's way. Unfortunately, there are also a lot on minimally trained cowboys and ammosexuals out there who are itching for an excuse to shoot their guns.

Quote:I'm not saying that there are NO instances where bad people are stopped by good people with guns. But for every positive example you can point to, I bet I can provide one where someone was accidentally killed or injured by a bullet that fired either missing its mark or from a gun that unintentionally went off. I also feel that a lot of gun owners imagine themselves to be better marksmen than they actually are or turn into John MacLean from Die Hard when a situation presents itself to intervene and use their gun. This is a broad statement and I acknowledge there are several responsible gun owners who were properly trained and would never put innocent people in harm's way. Unfortunately, there are also a lot on minimally trained cowboys and ammosexuals out there who are itching for an excuse to shoot their guns.

Ammosexuals ... lol. Good one. Hadn't heard that before. I'll have to use that.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:I'm not saying that there are NO instances where bad people are stopped by good people with guns. But for every positive example you can point to, I bet I can provide one where someone was accidentally killed or injured by a bullet that fired either missing its mark or from a gun that unintentionally went off. I also feel that a lot of gun owners imagine themselves to be better marksmen than they actually are or turn into John MacLean from Die Hard when a situation presents itself to intervene and use their gun. This is a broad statement and I acknowledge there are several responsible gun owners who were properly trained and would never put innocent people in harm's way. Unfortunately, there are also a lot on minimally trained cowboys and ammosexuals out there who are itching for an excuse to shoot their guns.

Actually, no, no you can't. The data on accidental deaths does not support your conclusions.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2015, 08:16 PM by Kotite.)

Quote:Actually, no, no you can't. The data on accidental deaths does not support your conclusions.

"Killed or injured." This includes the dude standing guard over a school who accidentally shot himself in the foot and that guy Dick Cheney shot in the face.

Just curious.. that black girl who got shot and killed when a stray bullet came through her window when she was doing her homework.. does that fall under accidental deaths? Or is that a different category?

Apparently good guys are always better shots than good guys too. Also always no in advance they are going to get shot at.

Also burglaries sound deadly in US, where guy trying to steal a few electricals decides he wants to murder whole families while there hence need for guns.

Quote:Just curious.. that black girl who got shot and killed when a stray bullet came through her window when she was doing her homework.. does that fall under accidental deaths? Or is that a different category?

She was killed by a criminal commiting a crime wasn't she? If so it was a homicide.

Quote:Apparently good guys are always better shots than good guys too. Also always no in advance they are going to get shot at.

Also burglaries sound deadly in US, where guy trying to steal a few electricals decides he wants to murder whole families while there hence need for guns.

You go right ahead and trust that the guy taking your stuff from your house wont kill you on a lark. I and a good portion of my countrymen aren't willing to risk the lives of our families that way. Being prepared to defend my family is my first responsibility, preparing them to defend themselves a close second.

Yeah but all it means is that a robber is more likely to be armed. Hopefully he also gives you time to get your gun out of your safe too...

Also most home robberies occur during work hours for obvious reasons. They aren't looking for confrontation. Someone actually tried to break in to my place while I was at work last year. Couldn't get past the security screens or the dead lock on the door. Didn't even need to shoot the guy!

Quote:She was killed by a criminal commiting a crime wasn't she? If so it was a homicide.

I don't know that it was solved. So I don't know how to classify it other than sad.

Quote:We're also teaching them how to cultivate the land to grow different consumable plants. My two oldest help when I butcher our meat chickens my two youngest help feed and water the baby chickens.

We're big in teaching self sufficient lifestyle which includes knowing how to handle firearms.
Why bother teaching a self-sufficient lifestyle?  We can depend on the government and the good nature of our fellow citizens to care for each other.

Kaishakunin for hire.

* (disclaimer) If you think I'm serious, hit yourself in the face w/ a hammer.

So you don't have a police force? Can you defend yourself against a drone attack? Do you collect your own garbage? Your own water supply? Your own gas supply? Get your own internet infrastructure? Omg need other citizens to sustain you...