Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Shooting at Umpqua Community College in Roseburg, Oregon. 10 reported dead. 20 wounded.

No, exactly right.  Alaska doesn't have a population of 0 million.  They have a population of .736 million.

.736 * 204 = 150.144

7.36 * 20.4 = 150.144

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:You want an Emmy for best drama?

There you go. Unless it's your kid, it's just another "event", and people can play a numbers game of statistics that won't convince anyone of anything.

But carry on. At least you don't have to pretend to care.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:No, exactly right.  Alaska doesn't have a population of 0 million.  They have a population of .736 million.

.736 * 204 = 150.144

7.36 * 20.4 = 150.144

LOL.  We can do this all afternoon.  I used rounding, you didn't.  What does the raw data state?

You just clarified my point that you can make statistics say whatever you want.

In the end, what is the reasonable and sensible thing to do?  Do we "take guns away" from people?  Do we "outlaw" certain weapons?  Or do we actually look at why events like this happen, find the cause and fix that?

What makes a young man single out people of a certain faith to kill them?  What made him pick that particular faith?  Why did he choose that particular place?  Perhaps those are the issues that should be addressed rather than the gun issue.  It's not the gun that did this, it's the person behind it.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

But if you can't stop the people. How about stopping them getting guns? Pretty sensible stuff to any other developed nations.

Quote:There you go. Unless it's your kid, it's just another "event", and people can play a numbers game of statistics that won't convince anyone of anything.

You make your decisions on emotion rather than logic?

You must live quite a fearful life.

Quote:There you go. Unless it's your kid, it's just another "event", and people can play a numbers game of statistics that won't convince anyone of anything.

Emotional pleas don't supercede logic.

Quote:But if you can't stop the people. How about stopping them getting guns? Pretty sensible stuff to any other developed nations.

Other developed nations don't value the right to bear arms and to be reliant on personal defense.

Quote:Emotional pleas don't supercede logic.

All over this forum they try to make it so.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:Other developed nations don't value the right to bear arms and to be reliant on personal defense.

Hell, they're reliant on us for national defense, why would they bother with the personal sort? But the next time the Huns are at the gate you can bet us good ol gun nuts will be there to save their [BLEEP] again.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

For a minute there, I thought I was reading the Charleston thread, or the Louisiana movie theater thread, maybe even the Virginia TV shootings thread. Good to see that the same things happen over and over again, and the same people continue to insist that doing nothing is the best way to prevent them in the future.

I think you're right TJ Bender.  I think that you should join me in abolishing secular nihilism and denial that there is a greater good in the world. 

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2015, 09:27 PM by Jaguar Warrior.)

Quote:For a minute there, I thought I was reading the Charleston thread, or the Louisiana movie theater thread, maybe even the Virginia TV shootings thread. Good to see that the same things happen over and over again, and the same people continue to insist that doing nothing is the best way to prevent them in the future.

Doing nothing yet gun and violent crime continue to decrease. Works for me.

Quote:For a minute there, I thought I was reading the Charleston thread, or the Louisiana movie theater thread, maybe even the Virginia TV shootings thread. Good to see that the same things happen over and over again, and the same people continue to insist that doing nothing is the best way to prevent them in the future.
We should start by banning military style and assault mentally ill people. 

High capacity bowl cuts also need to be regulated.

Now been over 19 years and no mass shootings in Australia since gun regulation came in post Port Arthur.

Quote:Now been over 19 years and no mass shootings in Australia since gun regulation came in post Port Arthur.

Apples and oranges. The U.S. has a lot more people and guns.

Quote:Apples and oranges. The U.S. has a lot more people and guns.
Is it though? A reduction in guns leads to a reduction in gun violence. I think it's a pretty logical conclusion.

Quote:Is it though? A reduction in guns leads to a reduction in gun violence. I think it's a pretty logical conclusion.

I don't think people in Australia had the same propensity to masturbate with their guns that Americans do.  So it's more like kiwis and oranges.

Only a chump boos the home team!

Quote:Is it though? A reduction in guns leads to a reduction in gun violence. I think it's a pretty logical conclusion.

There are 100s of millions of guns already in circulation in this country. You could outright ban them and it won't change the fact that awful people will still commit murder and law abiding people will be the only ones who comply. There are too many guns out there and to try to pass hollow legislation that only makes people feel better doesn't change a thing.

You could have all of the legislation that the Brady people want and the Oregon shooter, Lanza, and others would have still been able to get access to the firearms. This is a mental health issue. Guns were everywhere in previous generations and yet mass shootings didn't become a common occurrence until the last 15 or so years. Why is that? Figuring that out would go a long way towards stopping more events like this.

(This post was last modified: 10-03-2015, 09:02 AM by Dumptruck.)

Quote:I don't think people in Australia had the same propensity to masturbate with their guns that Americans do. So it's more like kiwis and oranges.

Yeah Americans are real [BLEEP] holes about those stupid rights things. What a bunch of jerks.