Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Shooting at Umpqua Community College in Roseburg, Oregon. 10 reported dead. 20 wounded.

Quote:So again you would prefer this guy had an assault weapon? So unless you can stop all shootings for ever it isn't worth preventing large massacres?

Define an assault weapon.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:So again you would prefer this guy had an assault weapon? So unless you can stop all shootings for ever it isn't worth preventing large massacres?

Where did I say that I "prefer this guy had an assault weapon"?  I'm simply pointing out that even with the ban on guns in your country, gun violence still exists.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:Where did I say that I "prefer this guy had an assault weapon"?  I'm simply pointing out that even with the ban on guns in your country, gun violence still exists.

There isn't a total ban, there is much tougher regulation. What you seem to say is you can't regulate anything unless it curbs 100% of incidents. So you honestly think gun violence would be improved if they de regulated? How can you logically say that?

Quote:If someone nearby is armed, maybe they can stop a killing spree at one or two dead instead of nine or a dozen or more.

In this case there was plenty of time as the shooter had time to question his victims first on their religion.

Yes, because we all know adrenaline doesn't kick in, and people don't panic or anything.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:There isn't a total ban, there is much tougher regulation. What you seem to say is you can't regulate anything unless it curbs 100% of incidents. So you honestly think gun violence would be improved if they de regulated? How can you logically say that?

That's not what I'm saying at all.  I'm pointing out that banning guns doesn't solve the problem.  Your country is obviously different than mine.  So what does your country regulate that should be done here?

Guns and the Mass shootings stopped...

Alternatively you could follow the Switzerland model as they have high gun ownership and make it work, but I'd say America is much more like Australia than Switzerland.

Quote:Guns and the Mass shootings stopped...

Alternatively you could follow the Switzerland model as they have high gun ownership and make it work, but I'd say America is much more like Australia than Switzerland.

Perhaps our country needs to educate more rather than parents throwing their kids in front of a television or a video game.

(This post was last modified: 10-06-2015, 07:20 PM by TJBender.)

Quote:Perhaps our country needs to educate more rather than parents throwing their kids in front of a television or a video game.
"Ok class, this is an AR-15. This is what you use when you want to kill lots of people really fast. Or, you know, take down an elephant, but when's the last time you saw a wild elephant on US soil?"

Point being that I fail to see how teaching kids to use guns is going to do anything to deter people from killing each other with them.

Better access to mental health care would probably help somewhat...

But I'm pretty sure any kind of universal health care is equally as evil to gun control.

Quote:"Ok class, this is an AR-15. This is what you use when you want to kill lots of people really fast. Or, you know, take down an elephant, but when's the last time you saw a wild elephant on US soil?"

Point being that I fail to see how teaching kids to use guns is going to do anything to deter people from killing each other with them.

Lol a .223 won't take down an elephant it would just piss it off
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(This post was last modified: 10-06-2015, 08:20 PM by TJBender.)

Quote:Lol a .223 won't take down an elephant it would just [BAD WORD REMOVED] it off
Do they make HEIs in .223? lol

Quote:Let me offer this perspective. As someone born and raised prior to cable television, violent movies and video games and the internet, we were taught about things. One of the things taught to me was gun safety and proper use when I was in 5th grade. We were offered a Hunter's Safety Course at our school taught by our PE coach. Part of the class involved real guns and demonstrations on how to properly handle, shoot and take care of them. This took place in my elementary school cafeteria. The last part of the course involved actually going out to the "range" to shoot different firearms. Our "range" was actually out in the desert (hills west of Albuquerque, NM).

After successfully completing the course and firing real guns, we got our certificate which enabled us to be able to acquire a hunting license. As a 10 year old I was deemed responsible enough to carry a weapon to go out hunting. I was also able to go to a firing range to shoot any weapon legally.

Today in schools, kids get suspended or even expelled for<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/04/us/ohio-boy-suspended-finger-gun/'> making their fingers look like a gun</a> or <a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.cbsnews.com/news/examiner-recommends-school-board-uphold-pop-tart-suspension/'>biting a pop tart into the shape of a gun</a>. Gun education isn't allowed in schools anymore. People are afraid of guns and why? Perhaps the movies shown on cable TV and the internet. Perhaps part of the problem is <a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.rockstargames.com/grandtheftauto/'>violent video games</a> that kids play today.

I do believe that part of the problem is proper education.

I agree that people and kid's especially used to be taught proper safety and maintenance of firearms more commonly than they do now. Previous generations learned how to respect guns much more than this generation. Which is why it scares me to know just how many gun owners today never got that training or experience. They learned from Call of Duty. Might explain why so many of them miss and kill innocent bystanders.
Only a chump boos the home team!

Quote:I agree that people and kid's especially used to be taught proper safety and maintenance of firearms more commonly than they do now. Previous generations learned how to respect guns much more than this generation. Which is why it scares me to know just how many gun owners today never got that training or experience. They learned from Call of Duty. Might explain why so many of them miss and kill innocent bystanders.

All of my kids have held my firearms including my high powered rifles like the ak47 and my ar15 platforms. I let them feel it (unloaded obviously) and explain to them how it's a tool and like any other tool if not used properly it can hurt someone.

I've eliminated the curiosity by doing that. My oldest I've taken him to fire a few of the smaller weapons but he's still young so it was more just to expose him to the power of the weapon so he understands it's not a toy.

I think it should be apart of school curriculums, here a pistol, this is how you clean it, store it, and what happens when you fire it. Here is a rifle this how you clean it, store it and what happens when you fire it. As it is today half the populations thinks automatic weapons are legal and more than half the population calls a civilian ar15 an assault weapon. The moment I hear we should ban assault weapons I know I'm dealing with someone that has no idea what they're talking about.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

One wouldn't take an AK47 or an AR15 hunting. Those are used for a very different purpose.
Only a chump boos the home team!

(This post was last modified: 10-07-2015, 08:37 AM by lastonealive.)

Father of the year stuff that Eric. Maybe teach something that is a useful life skill next time.

Maybe get them some vodka so they learn to appreciate alcohol, or let them drive the car. Maybe both so they see drink driving isn't a great idea.

Quote:Father of the year stuff that Eric. Maybe teach something that is a useful life skill next time.

Yeah, Eric. What are you thinking, spending time with your children. Don't you know this is a progressive society? ITS 2015! If they aren't glued to the television, you should be instructing them the importance of respecting pronouns, how to perform efficiently as a wage slave, or learning about the evils of western civilization.

lastonealive wins the chump of the year.

I don't even let my kids use regular scissors. I must be doing it all wrong.

;

;

(This post was last modified: 10-07-2015, 09:12 AM by The Drifter.)

Quote:One wouldn't take an AK47 or an AR15 hunting. Those are used for a very different purpose.

Schlitz.... a .223 is a good hunting rifle

[Image: 223ar_zpsatf7kvqf.jpg]

They are both the same rifle, just a few cosmetic differences

Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

Quote:Maybe get them some vodka so they learn to appreciate alcohol, or let them drive the car. Maybe both so they see drink driving isn't a great idea.

Yes, my daughters were exposed to alcohol in my house, better that than at some frat party. They've been driving cars since they were 10 or so. I'm sorry you have such limitations in your thinking, it really demonstrates why you need the government to take care of you.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato