Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Russia begins its air campaign in Syria

Quote:Marty,  

The Russians run things a little differently then the US. The Russians have no problem wiping out a whole town or region of it serves their purpose. They play hardball and that is about the only thing most of the middle east understands. The Russian are also okay with civil wars and unrest as long as it does not effect their interests.

Before anyone brings up Afghanistan let me be clear that the Soviets only left because of the massive investment by the US in arms and training for the Afghans fighting the Soviets.

Holding sway over a large portion of the worlds oil supply is Russia's goal, I believe. It is strictly a financial move and a power play by Putin.

We should care because our oil prices and petroleum prices in general will skyrocket.  The worlds oil market is one market. What happens in one part of the world can and usually does effect the market world wide.

Northendzone,

I don't see how the Russians can get to the world's oil supply through Syria.  God knows, no one in Syria, not even the Assad regime, is going to allow the Russians to control Syria.   And certainly Iran and Saudi Arabia aren't going to allow the Russians into their countries, either.   And as we have seen in our own example, our military involvement in the middle east has come at a huge cost, in terms of military expenditures on a scale far beyond what the Russians could ever afford, and in also in terms of making the US a target for Islamic extremists.   In short, Putin is plunging Russia into a quagmire that they cannot possibly manage successfully.   It's really a stupid strategy. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I'm not sure, but we've been fighting ISIS for quite a few years. Billions spent on training Iraq's army.... Which is akin to spending ones weekly wages training a dachshund to fetch ducks....what results are there? Look at Afghanistan...Taliban just took over another town.

It's a perpetual merry go round, albeit nothing merry about it.

There is no rehab for that region.
Blakes Life Matters

Marty,  Fair enough and we'll agree to disagree.

Couple of points of clarification though:

I don't think Russia will get the worlds supply of oil just a good portion of it or control of that segment of oil.  Syria and other middle east countries may not let Russia control their oil supply but Russia will certainly have influence, strong influence.

I certainly hope I'm wrong about the whole thing. I'm sick of war and I'll never let my son go fight in a war. Enough

Thanks for the reasonable discussion.

Quote:Marty,  Fair enough and we'll agree to disagree.

Couple of points of clarification though:

I don't think Russia will get the worlds supply of oil just a good portion of it or control of that segment of oil.  Syria and other middle east countries may not let Russia control their oil supply but Russia will certainly have influence, strong influence.

I certainly hope I'm wrong about the whole thing. I'm sick of war and I'll never let my son go fight in a war. Enough

Thanks for the reasonable discussion.

You're welcome. 

No one's "right" about any of this stuff.   We have two different opinions, but in reality, there are thousands of possible outcomes that we cannot imagine.