Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
School District bans 'TAG'

Quote:I imagine "Tag" was banned because it had become "Hit" at that school.  My junior high banned a lunchtime game for similar, appropriate reasons.

Nowadays in some urban areas the game of "hit" has evolved into "the knockout game."

'02

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I didn't see this before. You really did have it rough. In "tag" you're just supposed to touch the kid and say "you're it."

What did they do to you after they found you when playing "hide and seek"?
Knocking someone down when playing tag was perfectly acceptable growing up. If you're running full speed to catch someone else and touch them, it's likely that some big hits will be laid in fun.

I'm not sure if the second part is a genuine question or you mocking me, so I'll leave it alone.

Quote:I used to love playing that game, and it certainly didn't hurt me physically or emotionally at the young age.  I also played tag and dodge ball.  The name probably has to be changed in order to cater to a minority yet vocal portion of the population.

I honestly can't help but laugh at posts like this.

I mean if it didn't affect you, how could it affect anyone else?

;

;

Quote:Knocking someone down when playing tag was perfectly acceptable growing up. If you're running full speed to catch someone else and touch them, it's likely that some big hits will be laid in fun.

I'm not sure if the second part is a genuine question or you mocking me, so I'll leave it alone.

Knocking someone down with a punch is worse than anything I ever experienced playing smear the queer. In highschool we'd sometimes punch each other in the shoulder if tagged, but we prepared for it and knew it was coming...it was controlled. But knocking someone down?

I was kidding with the second question, but it wasn't meant to mock. It's just it really sounded like you grew up in a brutal neighborhood.

'02

Quote:Knocking someone down with a punch is worse than anything I ever experienced playing smear the queer. In highschool we'd sometimes punch each other in the shoulder if tagged, but we prepared for it and knew it was coming...it was controlled. But knocking someone down?
I don't recall anyone ever throwing a punch while playing tag. It was more along the lines of diving to tag someone and bringing both of you down as a result.

Quote:I don't recall anyone ever throwing a punch while playing tag. It was more along the lines of diving to tag someone and bringing both of you down as a result.

Ok... that's not so bad... and that's about all it really was about when bringing someone down in smeer the queer. It was typically a body slam, but I don't recall anything like the violence and bullying you describe. Those were just mean kids.

'02

Kids are mean.. That's what kids do.. Most kids grow up and also realize that being mean was wrong.. Let them live, make their mistakes and learn from them on their own, just like the majority of us had to do..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Quote:Ok... that's not so bad... and that's about all it really was about when bringing someone down in smeer the queer. It was typically a body slam, but I don't recall anything like the violence and bullying you describe. Those were just mean kids.

Smear the queer is modified football. What he's describing is a lynching.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:Smear the queer is modified football. What he's describing is a lynching.

Not really. It's more barbaric. Like rugby.

;

;

Quote:So what do little kids play at recess?

Alot actually. I have two kids in elementary school. Their school has two playgrounds, two tracks. Plenty for them to do without Tag.

Games my kids play at Recess:

-Red Light Green Light

-Kickball

-Four Square

-Hop Scotch

-Basketball

-H.O.R.S.E.

-Jumping Rope

-Cars (admittedly it's a lot like tag.  So is "Base")

-Just playing on the playground.

Of note, the school district decided not to ban tag after feedback.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:Not really. It's more barbaric. Like rugby.
No, rugby is elegant violence.  What TJ is describing is straight up bullying.  We had one of those for about a week until we invited him to play smear the queer with us.  We didn't use a football that day.

Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

Quote:Games my kids play at Recess:

-Red Light Green Light

-Kickball

-Four Square

-Hop Scotch

-Basketball

-H.O.R.S.E.

-Jumping Rope

-Cars (admittedly it's a lot like tag.  So is "Base")

-Just playing on the playground.

Of note, the school district decided not to ban tag after feedback.

No two-hand touch football?

Quote:No two-hand touch football?
That was reserved for the 7th grade after we found out cooties were not real and invited the girls to play.  

I know, I know.  Bash away my liberal friends.

Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

Quote:No two-hand touch football?
Our school made us play flag football. Two-hand touch very often turned into tackleoco.