Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Price Of Essential Pharmaceutical Drug Increases 5,500 Percent Overnight

Quote:Just because a product is required doesn't mean the maker has to give it away.

I can save your life, and the cost to me is, say, $100. I will charge you $100,000 to save your life. If you cannot afford that, too bad. I need the money to develop new and better ways to save people's lives. Sorry I cannot save yours.

You okay with that?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Just because a product is required doesn't mean the maker has to give it away.

Would you agree that what is legal and what is moral are sometimes two different things?

Whenever I hear or read about the cost of life saving medications, I'm reminded of Jonas Salk, the man credited with discovery of the polio vaccine. From his Wikipedia page:

Quote:His sole focus had been to develop a safe and effective vaccine as rapidly as possible, with no interest in personal profit. When asked who owned the patent to it, Salk said, "There is no patent. Could you patent the sun?"

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

https://np.reddit.com/r/worldnews/commen...gs/cvab97p

Speculation is now that he has been intentionally manipulating the market to facilitate insider trading.

Quote:https://np.reddit.com/r/worldnews/commen...gs/cvab97p

Speculation is now that he has been intentionally manipulating the market to facilitate insider trading.
I love reddit I just wish I got on the reddit wagon sooner.

Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

Quote:I can save your life, and the cost to me is, say, $100. I will charge you $100,000 to save your life. If you cannot afford that, too bad. I need the money to develop new and better ways to save people's lives. Sorry I cannot save yours.

You okay with that?

Yes.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:Would you agree that what is legal and what is moral are sometimes two different things?

Of course that's true.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:Yes.

That's pretty bad. It shouldn't be that way and America has been showing the world for a long time how not to run the health care industry.

Quote:That's pretty bad. It shouldn't be that way and America has been showing the world for a long time how not to run the health care industry.

You do not have the right to other people's time, effort, or skills. If you do then they are merely slaves.

(This post was last modified: 09-23-2015, 01:31 PM by oface5446.)

Quote:Yes.

When you value an ideology more than your life, that's brainwashing.

(This post was last modified: 09-23-2015, 01:32 PM by jtmoney.)

Quote:You do not have the right to other people's time, effort, or skills. If you do then they are merely slaves.

Again, look at other civilized countries health care and ours. It's insane how high adminstrative costs are (30%+) with the high for other civilized countries topping at 5%. This dog eat dog world we have built in America is destroying the health care for the people. Costs are out of control, here. Not elsewhere.

Quote:When you value an ideology more than your life, that's brainwashing.

When you believe you have ownership rights over everything that's tyranny.

Quote:When you value an ideology more than your life, that's brainwashing.

It's pretty sickening and amazing at the same time people convince themselves to think like that.

Quote:Again, look at other civilized countries health care and ours. It's insane how high adminstrative costs are (30%+) with the high for other civilized countries topping at 5%. This dog eat dog world we have built in America is destroying the health care for the people. Costs are out of control, here. Not elsewhere.

You're absolutely right, costs are out of control. But the solutions put forward will not solve the problems, they merely transfer more and more control to the government. Just like with this pricing issue, the solution isn't go make a better product, it's get the government to make them charge less. It doesn't address the chief problem, in this case, the problem is that a 50 year old product doesn't have a generic equivalent.

Quote:When you believe you have ownership rights over everything that's tyranny.

Health care should not burden American families like it does. And other countries are showing us how it should be done. Not fluff, not theory, but verifiable facts that they are running it significantly better than us and not burdening the people. 700,000+ a year go bankrupt because of medical bills. That does not happen elsewhere.

Quote:You're absolutely right, costs are out of control. But the solutions put forward will not solve the problems, they merely transfer more and more control to the government. Just like with this pricing issue, the solution isn't go make a better product, it's get the government to make them charge less. It doesn't address the chief problem, in this case, the problem is that a 50 year old product doesn't have a generic equivalent.

But your wrong. Because other countries are proving that and have been for a long time. Private sector is destroying health care. If this was a football game we would be getting dominated like a division 2 school against the national champions and somehow you still defend it. Just look at the numbers. They are very easy to find.

Quote:Health care should not burden American families like it does. And other countries are showing us how it should be done. Not fluff, not theory, but verifiable facts that they are running it significantly better than us and not burdening the people. 700,000+ a year go bankrupt because of medical bills. That does not happen elsewhere.

Not to worry, soon you'll have your single payer and the regulation and cost control methods that come with it.

(This post was last modified: 09-23-2015, 01:50 PM by jtmoney.)

Quote:Not to worry, soon you'll have your single payer and the regulation and cost control methods that come with it.

Which has shown to be a much better system time after time. I'll post numbers when I have more free time, but when you compare it to US, it makes us look uncivilized and prehistoric.

Quote:This is an older drug that is seldom used.  It is used to treat people with toxoplasmosis.   Look up the disease and see what the causes are (eating improperly cooked food and cat feces).

The cost increase is used to raise funds for a better alternative.

The cost increase will be used to pay investors of the [BLEEP] CEO's previous ventures.

Quote:Which has shown to be a much better system time after time. I'll post numbers when I have more free time, but when you compare it to US, it makes us look uncivilized and prehistoric.
agreed..

Only advantages in the US is the ability to get next day surgeries and extremely specialized treatment.  I think there should be a base level of care provided with the ability to get private care as well at an additional cost.  I don't see why there cannot be both systems at play at the same time.

Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine