Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Price Of Essential Pharmaceutical Drug Increases 5,500 Percent Overnight

Quote:Not as a general practice, no. Only in extreme outlier situations.

I don't want the government to set the price at all. I don't get what's so hard to understand about my position, so I'll say it one more time:

If a medication is available that is necessary to keep a person alive and that person, insured or not, cannot afford that medication and there are no lower-cost medications with the same effects available, the pharmaceutical company should be required to make the drug affordable for that person and only that person, on a case-by-case basis. No one's talking about giving the drug away. If the pharmaceutical company has set the price of a medication needed to prolong a cancer patient's life at $15,000 per month's supply but that cancer patient is only making $3,000 per month and their insurance company only covers 50% of the drug's cost, the pharmaceutical company should lower the price of that one patient's supply so that it is affordable--not free--for that one patient, and the adjusted price should be reviewed monthly so that if the patient's income goes up or expenses go down, the cost of the drug increases.

I'm talking about true "take this or you die" life-saving drugs only. Not even quality of life drugs for COPD, asthma, whatever, just the drugs that a doctor would take the stand and tell a judge are absolutely essential to this particular person's survival, and that person would die in short order without them. That's it. My view, simply put, is that the right of a human being to continue being alive outweighs the right of a pharmaceutical company's right to charge whatever it wants whenever it wants, but that is the only case in which pharmaceutical companies should be compelled to lower prices by a government entity.

Once again, life and death only. I believe that a human being's right to life outweighs a pharmaceutical company's desire for profit.

See above.

OK.

If a person can't afford a lifesaving drug pharmaceutical companies already provide it at cost without government intervention. Even in the case of this particular dirtbag company their spokesman said they would do that.

In the rare case that some company would not agree to save the life of a poor person there is another alternative to death vs. government force. Concerned people can take up voluntary donations to pay for the medicine without forcing others to pay for it.

In all of these cases, someone is going to decide how much the person can afford. If that's some government bureaucrat (namely someone who majored in art history and can't get a real job) then the decision will probably be based on a coin flip.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:In the rare case that some company would not agree to save the life of a poor person there is another alternative to death vs. government force. Concerned people can take up voluntary donations to pay for the medicine without forcing others to pay for it.
Your solution is crowd funding? Alrighty then.

Quote:flpsportsgod,

Do you believe we should have an entirely free market with no government intervention?

No.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:OK.

If a person can't afford a lifesaving drug pharmaceutical companies already provide it at cost without government intervention. Even in the case of this particular dirtbag company their spokesman said they would do that.

In the rare case that some company would not agree to save the life of a poor person there is another alternative to death vs. government force. Concerned people can take up voluntary donations to pay for the medicine without forcing others to pay for it.

In all of these cases, someone is going to decide how much the person can afford. If that's some government bureaucrat (namely someone who majored in art history and can't get a real job) then the decision will probably be based on a coin flip how many votes it will buy.

FTFY.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I thought all along this was a non-issue since the drug was no longer in patent protection.

But nonetheless, karma!

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/10/san-dieg...-1-a-pill/

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:The cost increase will be used to pay investors of the [BAD WORD REMOVED] CEO's previous ventures.

Welp! Go figure!

Quote:When you value an ideology more than your life, that's brainwashing.

ISIS and other terrorist groups think just like this. Scary to see it in a different context.

Quote:ISIS and other terrorist groups think just like this. Scary to see it in a different context.

That statement is absurd. If there is nothing greater than you that you would give your life for then you suffer from moral cowardice. The ideology can be wrong no doubt, but the idea that a valid one doesn't exist is foolish.

Quote:That statement is absurd. If there is nothing greater than you that you would give your life for then you suffer from moral cowardice. The ideology can be wrong no doubt, but the idea that a valid one doesn't exist is foolish.

I suppose the second part of your statement is what I was going for. In my mind a wrong ideology is not something to martyr oneself for. But then again, one's idea of the right ideology is subjective. Most people think terrorists are bat crap crazy for their ideology, and rightfully so, while they think our lack of vision is equally bat crap crazy.

I'm also on a heavy hot toddy dose of hot tea, whiskey, honey and lemon due to the flu so I probably shouldn't be trying to think about anything.

Quote:I suppose the second part of your statement is what I was going for. In my mind a wrong ideology is not something to martyr oneself for. But then again, one's idea of the right ideology is subjective. Most people think terrorists are bat crap crazy for their ideology, and rightfully so, while they think our lack of vision is equally bat crap crazy.

I'm also on a heavy hot toddy dose of hot tea, whiskey, honey and lemon due to the flu so I probably shouldn't be trying to think about anything.

That really is the thing, and it's what I meant in the Vegan thread when I said that Zealots can achieve anything. Even liquored up I think your thoughts are in the upper percentiles on this board.  :thumbsup:

Justice. The little piss ant piece of piss was arrested. May get up to 20 years.
Blakes Life Matters