Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
9th Grader arrested for bringing clock to school that looks like bomb

Fun fact Steve Wozniak (Apple cofounder) as a prank in high school built a fake bomb.

http://www.businessinsider.com/steve-woz...mb-2011-10

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Fun fact Steve Wozniak (Apple cofounder) as a prank in high school built a fake bomb.

http://www.businessinsider.com/steve-woz...mb-2011-10

One of my professors told a story of mixing up some nitroglycerin in chemistry lab. He filled an eyedropper, and squeezed a drop out of the 2nd floor window. It made a nice bang. He then looked down at the eyedropper full of high explosive he held in his hand and realized he had done something really stupid.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Black kid wears a giant clock around his neck and everyone says how cool flavor flav is for doing such

an arabian kid does the same thing and everyone freaks out

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/04/us/ohio-bo...inger-gun/

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/04/us/ohio-bo...inger-gun/
Further proof that this isn't a race thing, it's a stupid administrator and even more stupid police thing.

Hmm...  liberal policy or conservative policy?

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:Hmm...  liberal policy or conservative policy?
Both. Both sides of the fence are equally guilty of creating the culture of fear that allows them to control and manipulate society to their whims.

The liberal side of the fence is certainly going farther out of its way to make it seem like Ahmed wouldn't even have been removed from class if he was white, and I just don't buy that.

Quote:Both. Both sides of the fence are equally guilty of creating the culture of fear that allows them to control and manipulate society to their whims.

The liberal side of the fence is certainly going farther out of its way to make it seem like Ahmed wouldn't even have been removed from class if he was white, and I just don't buy that.

Agreed. The big question I have here... If they thought it was a bomb, which is understandable, why wasn't the school evacuated?

Quote:Agreed. The big question I have here... If they thought it was a bomb, which is understandable, why wasn't the school evacuated?
I'm currently arguing with someone on Facebook who is asking why Ahmed built a clock that looks like a bomb and brought it to school, and why, of all things, a Muslim would be interested in making a digital clock. I'm currently blasting him, but there is one relevant point here:

If the physics teacher he showed it to in the morning thought it looked like something that a reasonable human being would mistake for a bomb, why didn't that teacher tell Ahmed to leave the clock there for the day?

Quote:I'm currently arguing with someone on Facebook who is asking why Ahmed built a clock that looks like a bomb and brought it to school, and why, of all things, a Muslim would be interested in making a digital clock. I'm currently blasting him, but there is one relevant point here:

If the physics teacher he showed it to in the morning thought it looked like something that a reasonable human being would mistake for a bomb, why didn't that teacher tell Ahmed to leave the clock there for the day?

My gf made the same comment last night. Leave it here and lets explore it more after class would have avoided all this.

(This post was last modified: 09-18-2015, 03:44 PM by The Eleventh Doctor.)

Quote:I'm currently arguing with someone on Facebook who is asking why Ahmed built a clock that looks like a bomb and brought it to school, and why, of all things, a Muslim would be interested in making a digital clock. I'm currently blasting him, but there is one relevant point here:

If the physics teacher he showed it to in the morning thought it looked like something that a reasonable human being would mistake for a bomb, why didn't that teacher tell Ahmed to leave the clock there for the day?

Pretty much.  "Why don't you let me keep that in the classroom until the end of the day, and then you pick it up.  I might even show it to some of my other students if you don't have a problem with it."

That's how most teachers I know would be (and I know quite a few teachers)

Also QUESTION:

Why didn't they evacuate the school?  Because apparently they didn't.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:Pretty much.  "Why don't you let me keep that in the classroom until the end of the day, and then you pick it up.  I might even show it to some of my other students if you don't have a problem with it."

That's how most teachers I know would be (and I know quite a few teachers)
Pffft. You act like you are married to one or something. 

Quote:Why didn't they evacuate the school?  Because apparently they didn't.

A bomb that size couldn't do more than damage the room it was in, so students in other rooms were safe.

But since they overreacted about Ahmed, one would expect that they would have also done something stupid like evacuate a ten-block area.

Quote:Pffft. You act like you are married to one or something. 

Not only am I married to one, I hope to become one some day, but that's looking less and less likely.  Can't afford to go back and finish college.

Most teachers I know would be excited to show off a students project (with their permission).  Sometimes even if it doesn't have anything to do with their subject at all.  It encourages not only the student who did it, but other students as well.  And when it DOES have to do with a subject it can make for a great subject to discuss with students.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:A bomb that size couldn't do more than damage the room it was in, so students in other rooms were safe.

But since they overreacted about Ahmed, one would expect that they would have also done something stupid like evacuate a ten-block area.
That's just the thing though. The argument for what happened is that teachers/administrators are not experts and that looks like a bomb. Ok that is reasonable. If they think it's a bomb how can they possible know what the blast radius will be? They don't neither did the cops, if they did know then they should also know it's not a bomb. Reporting a bomb but not evacuating the school seems at best, quite odd. 

I can answer that.  Because being a part of the Open Source community and specifically the "maker community", sometimes when what some would deem a "simple project" could end up looking like... an abortion from an electrical/electronics standpoint.

The kid built a clock out of electrical parts that he maybe bought or possibly salvaged from somewhere else.  We're talking about a 14 year old kid that doesn't have a big budget for his hobby, so it's not always going to look "pretty".

The fact that the kid's name is Ahmed and the fact that he practices the Muslim religion has no bearing on the issue.

I would say that the teacher probably knew him well enough to know that he was a little "geek", and knew that it wasn't a dangerous object.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:I can answer that.  Because being a part of the Open Source community and specifically the "maker community", sometimes when what some would deem a "simple project" could end up looking like... an abortion from an electrical/electronics standpoint.

The kid built a clock out of electrical parts that he maybe bought or possibly salvaged from somewhere else.  We're talking about a 14 year old kid that doesn't have a big budget for his hobby, so it's not always going to look "pretty".

The fact that the kid's name is Ahmed and the fact that he practices the Muslim religion has no bearing on the issue.

I would say that the teacher probably knew him well enough to know that he was a little "geek", and knew that it wasn't a dangerous object.
I think the point TJ is making here, is the teach was obviously aware of how others might view the clock due to it's look hence his comment about keeping it in his bag. Telling Ahmed to leave it with him would have gone over a ton better because there would have been no freak out. 

Quote:Not only am I married to one, I hope to become one some day, but that's looking less and less likely.  Can't afford to go back and finish college.

Most teachers I know would be excited to show off a students project (with their permission).  Sometimes even if it doesn't have anything to do with their subject at all.  It encourages not only the student who did it, but other students as well.  And when it DOES have to do with a subject it can make for a great subject to discuss with students.

This is one thing that you and I definitely agree on.  Something like this not only recognizes the kid's ability, it also could inspire other kids to open their minds, use some creativity and build their own project.

I would recommend people to look up Arduino and Raspberry Pi.  Both are Open Source projects created to teach.  What is it teaching?  21'st Century skills.  I would bet that this kid probably owns at least one of those devices, and if he doesn't, I would send him one.

I actually built my own clock using one of those devices as a base, but went further to use GPS to get the time and and a temp/humidity sensor to get actual data and displayed it a bit differently.  While I was doing so, I turned to forums to get help, and a number of times I got help with correcting my software code from kids just like this one.

"He pointed it at the kids head and said boom"

"We've had a problem at this school. The boys have gone around fake shooting and making paper guns at class. It's inappropriate. She has sent notes to parents for the past three weeks alerting them of the problem."

lol we used to do this often and the teachers thought nothing of it as long as our work was done.

Quote:I think the point TJ is making here, is the teach was obviously aware of how others might view the clock due to it's look hence his comment about keeping it in his bag. Telling Ahmed to leave it with him would have gone over a ton better because there would have been no freak out. 

The thing is though, where does education stop and protection begin?

The kid being able to do what he did is far beyond his current education (in a way).  In order to build the clock he had to use some physics, simple math, computer programming, etc.  That's not something that an average 14 year old kid learns in government schools.

As it really relates to politics, it goes back to what Marco Rubio talked about regarding giving credit for "non-traditional training".  I would bet that there are EE graduates that couldn't accomplish the same thing that this kid did without asking "father google" for the answers.