Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
9th Grader arrested for bringing clock to school that looks like bomb

Quote:"He pointed it at the kids head and said boom"

"We've had a problem at this school. The boys have gone around fake shooting and making paper guns at class. It's inappropriate. She has sent notes to parents for the past three weeks alerting them of the problem."

lol we used to do this often and the teachers thought nothing of it as long as our work was done.

Liberals would be frothing at the mouth if they saw what we did when I was a child.  I remember as a very young child (elementary school age) playing "army" and picking up mud to make them into "grenades" to throw at other kids.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

This all should have ended where it began, when he showed it off to the first teacher.  Never should have escalated into what it did.

As far as it "looking" like a bomb... subjective.  I could see where someone with an "untrained eye" (myself included) might be quite suspicious of what exactly it is. (apologies for the captions as they are not mine and therefore not an endorsement by me)

[Image: 3LaDlpP.jpg]

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Liberals would be frothing at the mouth if they saw what we did when I was a child.  I remember as a very young child (elementary school age) playing "army" and picking up mud to make them into "grenades" to throw at other kids.

Not necessarily.

Did you see Bowling for Columbine? Michael Moore spent a good deal of time in that movie on overreaction to school shootings, And highlighted kids who were suspended from school over paper folded into a gum or holding a chicken strip like a gun. Do you get much more liberal than Michael Moore?

;

;

Quote:I think the point TJ is making here, is the teach was obviously aware of how others might view the clock due to it's look hence his comment about keeping it in his bag. Telling Ahmed to leave it with him would have gone over a ton better because there would have been no freak out. 
Eh, sorta kinda. I don't disagree, but my broader point was that if the physics teacher really thought that a rational human being would mistake it for a bomb, they probably would have held onto it for Ahmed themselves rather than suggest he keep it in his bag.

Quote:This is one thing that you and I definitely agree on.  Something like this not only recognizes the kid's ability, it also could inspire other kids to open their minds, use some creativity and build their own project.

I would recommend people to look up Arduino and Raspberry Pi.  Both are Open Source projects created to teach.  What is it teaching?  21'st Century skills.  I would bet that this kid probably owns at least one of those devices, and if he doesn't, I would send him one.

I actually built my own clock using one of those devices as a base, but went further to use GPS to get the time and and a temp/humidity sensor to get actual data and displayed it a bit differently.  While I was doing so, I turned to forums to get help, and a number of times I got help with correcting my software code from kids just like this one.
One of these days, I'll get around to buying myself a Raspberry Pi. I'd love to turn it into a weather station or a drone...or just download software to make it into a classic NES emulator, hook it up to my TV and lose my job because I do nothing play Super Mario Bros. 3, Legend of Zelda and Contra 24/7.

Quote:Liberals would be frothing at the mouth if they saw what we did when I was a child.  I remember as a very young child (elementary school age) playing "army" and picking up mud to make them into "grenades" to throw at other kids.
We did the same...but not at school...and our "grenades" usually had rocks in the middle.

Quote:This all should have ended where it began, when he showed it off to the first teacher.  Never should have escalated into what it did.

As far as it "looking" like a bomb... subjective.  I could see where someone with an "untrained eye" (myself included) might be quite suspicious of what exactly it is. (apologies for the captions as they are not mine and therefore not an endorsement by me)

[Image: 3LaDlpP.jpg]

However, the picture on the right is more of a "brief case" size device whereas the device on the left is made to "look like" it's the same size but it isn't.  It's actually a small case slightly bigger than a deck of cards or a pack of cigarettes.  Big difference there in my opinion.

A rational thinking administrator might have asked the boy to prove to him/her that it was a clock, and perhaps ask for more details such as how it's made.  Instead, the school administration deemed it necessary to call police, and the police deemed it enough to put this kid in handcuffs and arrest him.  This really isn't an "honest mistake".

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:However, the picture on the right is more of a "brief case" size device whereas the device on the left is made to "look like" it's the same size but it isn't.  It's actually a small case slightly bigger than a deck of cards or a pack of cigarettes.  Big difference there in my opinion.
Thank you for pointing this out over and over again. I only wish the rest of the idiot would listen to the "look how big that plug is" statement.

To be fair it did look like a brief case bomb.

And no I'm not an expert however I am an army trained combat engineer.  With 14 months of finding and at times disassembling simple electronic devices. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_engineer

simple electronic devices 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Improvised...ive_device

Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

Quote:The thing is though, where does education stop and protection begin?

The kid being able to do what he did is far beyond his current education (in a way).  In order to build the clock he had to use some physics, simple math, computer programming, etc.  That's not something that an average 14 year old kid learns in government schools.

As it really relates to politics, it goes back to what Marco Rubio talked about regarding giving credit for "non-traditional training".  I would bet that there are EE graduates that couldn't accomplish the same thing that this kid did without asking "father google" for the answers.
I don't understand what you mean by the bolded. 

Bright young kid laying the WOOD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN5Lj_74u38

(This post was last modified: 09-18-2015, 05:19 PM by The Eleventh Doctor.)

Quote:This is one thing that you and I definitely agree on.  Something like this not only recognizes the kid's ability, it also could inspire other kids to open their minds, use some creativity and build their own project.

I would recommend people to look up Arduino and Raspberry Pi.  Both are Open Source projects created to teach.  What is it teaching?  21'st Century skills.  I would bet that this kid probably owns at least one of those devices, and if he doesn't, I would send him one.

I actually built my own clock using one of those devices as a base, but went further to use GPS to get the time and and a temp/humidity sensor to get actual data and displayed it a bit differently.  While I was doing so, I turned to forums to get help, and a number of times I got help with correcting my software code from kids just like this one.
Well... someone did say the world was going to end in September!

People keep thinking this was a briefcase sized thing (How did he fit it in his backpack?).  It's the size of a pencil box (a pencil box was used as a case in fact I believe).

Students should be encouraged for this sort of thing.  Taking things apart, and learning how they work is a good way to learn.  I know my wife has a student in one of her classes who loves doing that sort of thing, and even though my wife knows absolutely nothing about most electronics she's always up to listening to her student talk to her about it.  Students need encouragement, especially when they don't get it from home.  But even when they do, getting input from a teacher on a project, or even advice is a great help.  I know growing up I had teachers who encouraged me.  One thing our teachers need to be doing is encouraging kids.  It's not always easy, because class sizes are getting outrageous.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:Bright young kid laying the WOOD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN5Lj_74u38

You do realize that President Obama invited several students (not just Ahmed) to the white house, and not something for a specific visit... Right?  Right?

Quote:You do realize that President Obama invited several students (not just Ahmed) to the white house, and not something for a specific visit... Right?  Right?

Tell it to Mr. CJ Pearson, not me.

(This post was last modified: 09-18-2015, 05:20 PM by boudreaumw.)

Quote:Tell it to Mr. CJ Pearson, not me.
You posted it in an approving way so he's telling you. Were you previously aware of that?

Quote:You do realize that President Obama invited several students (not just Ahmed) to the white house, and not something for a specific visit... Right? Right?

Your getting in the way of the outrage machine.

(This post was last modified: 09-18-2015, 05:23 PM by Jaguar Warrior.)

Quote:You posted it in an approving way so he's telling you. Were you previously aware of that?

I think the point was that he was invited at all, so what does the "event" matter? If he hadn't even brought his poorly disassembled/reassembled radio clock to school and scared a bunch of teachers he wouldn't have even been invited in the first place.

So Muslims shouldn't be invited to Astronomy Night at the White House?

Quote:So Muslims shouldn't be invited to Astronomy Night at the White House?

[Image: crClrO9.gif]

Quote:I don't understand what you mean by the bolded. 

Perhaps I should have worded it the other way around.  Where does protection stop and education begin?  Does that make you feel better?

Quote:Thank you for pointing this out over and over again. I only wish the rest of the idiot would listen to the "look how big that plug is" statement.

Yeah there isnt much scale but the plug itself is almost half the length of the case, so it obviously isn't very large

Quote:Perhaps I should have worded it the other way around. Where does protection stop and education begin? Does that make you feel better?

I'm sorry but no I don't. Maybe it's short timers syndrome leading to my Jax trip but I'm not following what you are getting at. PM if you'd like.