Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Impressions From the Panthers Game

Quote:Yes, we were lucky, but it's not like Cam was great today even taking drops from WRs into account.

I agree. He was not good either.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Not only that, it was boring. 

Quote:Yes, we were lucky, but it's not like Cam was great today even taking drops from WRs into account.

Not great, but looked pretty good. When you bring up his passer rating while ignoring he should have had at least two more tds, I just think that it's disingenuous.

Quote:Not great, but looked pretty good. When you bring up his passer rating while ignoring he should have had at least two more tds, I just think that it's disingenuous.

He looked like a middle of the road qb... I wouldn't go so far as saying "pretty good". But he did ok. Just enough to beat a really lousy offense.

Quote:Not great, but looked pretty good. When you bring up his passer rating while ignoring he should have had at least two more tds, I just think that it's disingenuous.

Being able to see a guy run wide open and uncovered and throw to him doesn't make a guy good, it just makes the defense he's facing awful.

Quote:Being able to see a guy run wide open and uncovered and throw to him doesn't make a guy good, it just makes the defense he's facing awful.

Okay... But you get judged based on what you do with the opportunities you have. If his stat line today included 3 tds, nobody would argue he didn't play well. That those balls bounced off their hands isn't his fault.

I'm not sure why you're arguing this really. He didn't look elite or great, but he didn't look bad like you guys are trying to make it seem.

I wish I could say Bortles should have had 3 tds today if not for some drops.

Quote:Okay... But you get judged based on what you do with the opportunities you have. If his stat line today included 3 tds, nobody would argue he didn't play well. That those balls bounced off their hands isn't his fault.

I'm not sure why you're arguing this really. He didn't look elite or great, but he didn't look bad like you guys are trying to make it seem.

I wish I could say Bortles should have had 3 tds today if not for some drops.

I don't feel like playing games about it. Cam did okay, not great at all, and had his share of throws off target and frequently held the ball too long leading to him getting sacked, or having to break a tackle to get some yards scrambling. The panthers won and the biggest difference is Bortles' INT was typical of him and completely boneheaded leading to six for the panthers while Cam's INT was down the field, which of course wasn't returned for a TD because passes down the field are less likely to be returned for a TD than those garbage short passes to the sideline like Bortles threw.

Once again this offense cant get anything going in the 2nd half. It's just like last year, NO ADJUSTMENTS. We get totally outcoached.

Quote:I don't feel like playing games about it. Cam did okay, not great at all, and had his share of throws off target and frequently held the ball too long leading to him getting sacked, or having to break a tackle to get some yards scrambling. The panthers won and the biggest difference is Bortles' INT was typical of him and completely boneheaded leading to six for the panthers while Cam's INT was down the field, which of course wasn't returned for a TD because passes down the field are less likely to be returned for a TD than those garbage short passes to the sideline like Bortles threw.

I agree about the int, which is why I hate this horizontal passing stuff.

I'll gladly agree that Cam had off target throws and he does hold the ball too long sometimes. He also somehow manages to escape when it all comes crashing down and converts those into first downs. But he got his team into scoring range 5 times today, and if not for drops could have 3 tds. Regardless of circumstances, I'd take that any day from my qb.

In any case, it seems we're not close to seeing that from Blake yet.

One thing remains consistent from last year-- when the pressure is on, Blake and the team look like serious NFL players.  What is the difference in those situations and the rest of the game? Do we let him have more autonomy? Do we tire the defense out?   

It's definitely a positive -- i'd much rather have the team elevate their game in the clutch -- but it doesn't matter at all unless we actually put ourselves in the position to win or clinch games in those situations. As it is, most of the time we hit that point we're playing in garbage time.  Have we gotten any good insight or analysis on those drives and what is different about them (besides the fact our WRs suddenly seem able to catch during them...)?

One of the troubling things to me is the way the passing offense went into timid turtle mode as the game progressed.  It was as if the coaching staff and Bortles just stopped going downfield.

Part of the issue was the loss of Joeckel.

I think part of the issue were drops and an overall lack of separation.

We need Joeckel, Lee and Thomas to return to health to have a shot at turning this around.  It seems Lee and Thomas are the only hopes of receivers gaining separation.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:One of the troubling things to me is the way the passing offense went into timid turtle mode as the game progressed.  It was as if the coaching staff and Bortles just stopped going downfield.

Part of the issue was the loss of Joeckel.

I think part of the issue were drops and an overall lack of separation.

We need Joeckel, Lee and Thomas to return to health to have a shot at turning this around.  It seems Lee and Thomas are the only hopes of receivers gaining separation.

I'm not sure. On the pick six, there was someone lined up on the same side that appeared to be coming open along the sideline. The play never developed though, because Blake jumped on that out.

Joeckel is not that great of a left tackle but servicable, but when he went down and Sam Young came in.  It was all down hill.  That guy is downright terrible. 

Quote:I'm not sure. On the pick six, there was someone lined up on the same side that appeared to be coming open along the sideline. The play never developed though, because Blake jumped on that out.
They only came open after the pick.  It is on the Nextgen rewind.  They were up in the box all over that play.  When you look at the Green TD the spacing was all wrong as well

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

A big problem was leaving the run when the game was close and Keuchley left the game. Should have pounded that rock.

(This post was last modified: 09-13-2015, 09:30 PM by MoJagFan.)

We just don't have the players to back off the coverage right now.  The gameplan against our Offense remains stack the box and jump the short passing routes.  We don't seem to run Crossing underneath on that short routes.

EDIT  As in legal pick plays

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

the d was really good

o line cant open up the run

o coordinater ?

I don't think running the ball was the issue.  You can argue they didn't run enough.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:I don't think running the ball was the issue.  You can argue they didn't run enough.

It's hard to make that argument as the running game was very inconsistent and the main problems the Jaguars have had and continued to have yesterday is they shrink the field playing small ball, making everything they normally do (including rushing the ball) more difficult because the defense is always coming at you and never backing off out of respect for any ability to beat them deep.

that's another thing

I cant recall any shots downfield