Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Impressions From the Panthers Game

The Panthers aren't a good team. We are just that bad.
Shock the world

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:One of the troubling things to me is the way the passing offense went into timid turtle mode as the game progressed.  It was as if the coaching staff and Bortles just stopped going downfield.

Part of the issue was the loss of Joeckel.

I think part of the issue were drops and an overall lack of separation.

We need Joeckel, Lee and Thomas to return to health to have a shot at turning this around.  It seems Lee and Thomas are the only hopes of receivers gaining separation.

I'm rewatching the game, and another issue is that we weren't finishing blocks at all.  Beadles and Lewis, in particular, were pretty heinous on the 3rd down run by Blake that got stopped for a 1 yard loss.  That was the last drive of any meaning we had.  Very frustrating.

Quote:I have been fighting a cold all week, so my normal level of enthusiasm for the start of the NFL season was a little less than it ordinarily would have been.  Nevertheless it was good to be back in the stadium to see my Jaguars.  I got an additional bonus when a former STH from the very beginning returned to the section.  He is a true Jaguars die hard and a knowledgeable and sensible fan, and one of my most cherished memories as a 21 year STH involved him and the Atlanta game from 1996-the Morten's miss game.  Right before the miss, he and I were at the very top of the stadium, trying to convince ourselves that an 8-8 second season was still a good accomplishment, obvious trying to ignore the obvious and overwhelming disappointment that would have lingered with this team for at least a year.  Imagine Jaguars history without that miss).  I couldn't watch the kick. I looked out over the east stands into the river.  Next thing I know, complete pandemonium.  I hear him scream and everyone else scream and he jumped into my arms. I can only hope more memories like that with those stakes come up very soon for this franchise.  The losing is wearing thin, which brings me to today's game.

1.  The temptation for many will be to blame Bortles for this loss.  Indeed, his pick six in the 2nd half was a huge play and effectively the difference in the game.  However, to me, that pick six was the culmination of very ineffective play by the WRs against what many Jaguars fans felt was a nondescript Panthers' secondary.  The few times there were actual separation, there were critical drops.  Allen Robinson had a drop really early and was virtually invisible.  Hurns had a drop or two as well.  The most dependable WR on the day was Greene, who took two wicked hits.  The inability of the WRs to get open consistently and catch consistently led to shorter and shorter passes.  The coverage tightened accordingly, which invariably led to the INT in the flat.  As much promise as the passing game showed in the preseason, I consider this game a complete failure of the passing game from top to bottom.

2.  Coming into this season, there was a growing sentiment amongst Jaguars fans that the offense would be the strong side of the ball this year.  That still ultimately may be the case before the year is out, but based upon today, the defense is still this team's strong suit.  Unfortunately, this team could not make plays when it needed to get off of the field.  Clemons had a monster game, and I sincerely hope he can keep it up and teach that spin move to Fowler.

3.  I also thought Poz had a very strong game.  He had an INT and two other pass defenses, and was in on a bunch of tackles.

4.  Luke Joeckel gets a lot of criticism, much of it deserved.  But he is the best LT on the team, and it was obvious when he left. 

5.  Aside from the late pressures, I thought the OL played decently overall.  They gave Yeldon and Robinson room to run the ball effectively, and Bortles had time to throw in the first half.

6.Not that I care much for these things, but FAMUs band has the reputation of being the best marching band.  I don't know if they altered their performance for the Jaguars' crowd, or they are still feeling the effects from it being suspended, but they had the look of an aging pitcher that lost something off the fastball.

7.  Rookie Watch:

A.  T.J. Yeldon-there was some apprehension about Yeldon after his first preseason performance.  There were even some rumblings about him being a bust (sad but true).  But Yeldon had a fine performance today, showing nice wiggle on some runs, showing inside and outside ability.  He put a sick move on a defender on a pas reception in that 2 minute drill before halftime that allowed him to get out of bounds and save a time out.  If he can continue with performances of that caliber, he will take come pressire off of Bortles, and allow for more effective play action.

B.  A.J. Cann-DNP-I don't think

C,  James Sample-Did not notice him.

D.  Rashaad Greene-had a bunch of short catches and a TD.  Showed toughness by bouncing back from two wicked hits.  Hopefully he will be okay for Miami.  One other negative was his fielding of that punt inside his own five.

E.  Michael Bennett-Did not notice him.

F.  Grant-had a nice return.

G.  Armbrister-Did not notice him, but apparently he hurt his back.

H.  Nick Marshall-Did not notice him

8.  The thinking here was that with nondescript receivers, the Panthers would not be able to muster much in the passing game.  Carolina didn't pass for much, but Ginn Hurt us on a few plays, and they had receivers running open.  On Ginn's drop, there appeared that nobody was within ten yards of him  How did he get so open?  The secondary did not give up a lot of big plays like they did against San Diego, et al last year, but there is cause for concern.

9.  Special teams did not cost the team the game, but it was far from perfect.  Ginn had a long punt return.  As I mentioned before, Greene fielded the punt inside his own five yard line.  And perhaps most controversially, Grant, the guy who replaced Scobee, missed an extra point and a FG that followed the Posluszny INT that gave the Jaguars a short field and could have given them momentum.  Did you guys noticed that when he kicked FGs, they turned off the video board where he was looking into?  Was that coincidental or purposeful?  If we have a placekicker that is somehow distracted by scoreboards behind goal posts, that is a problem.

10.  Bottom line:  This was a winnable game for the Jaguars that they let get away, and a disappointing loss overall. They will have to play much better against a better Miami team to have a hope of reaching .500.  If not, this thing could negatively snowball quickly. 

#1.) The Jaguars offense did okay in the first half, but like the last few season when they came back after the half they weren't prepared (they didnt come up with a new game plan after knowing that the opposing team would counter their first half plan).  Any way you looked at it after LT Luke got hurt and Wells (for like a play) and then Sam Young came in and immediately allowed a sack it changed the way Bortles was playing (i dont know maybe he played thru a concusion) but he wasnt himself.  He made poor choices all of a sudden and his throws werent as crisp.  He couldve been a 95 rating at the half but a 50 in the 2nd.  Two turnovers (INTs) is hard to come back from especially when one was a pick six.

#2.) You kind of expect the Defense to be good with a Defensive minded Head Coach.  I mean if it wasnt more would call for Gus to be fired, would they not?   The Offense looked good in Preseason but then again that wasnt a whole game, against another teams starters not playing vanilla.  I felt OC Olson didnt call a great game, I mean why didnt he run the ball more, and why no TE packages like we had thought?

#3.) Poz or Puz as Gus calls him is a beast especially when he's healthy & if he gets support from teammates... i never understood the hatred by some fans on here (msg brd) in regards to Poz he's a ProBowl player.

#4.) I mean LT Luke is the starter because the other LTs are so bad they barely made the roster.  That may make Luke look better than he is but he's still just an average guy (which isnt what you thought you would get when you take the guy #2 overall in the draft that is why he gets the negativity it was his play versus his expectations not to mention last year he played below average to bad).

#5.)  I mean all teams are going to have their QB get pressure, its how the QB throws the ball away or runs out for a completion & to be fair some of it was Bortles holding on to the ball too long (in his defense no WRs were open).  Everyone wants to always blame the Oline when sometimes its the QB or WRs that cause the sack.

Rookie Watch

TJ Yeldon 4.2 average on 12 attempts to run isnt bad for the rookies first game.

R. Greene 7 catches and a touchdown is a good start to his career when many thought he would simply be a punt returner for the most part.

Grant had a nice kickoff return, and caught a couple of passes.

Loss - If Myers hadn't missed the field goal, and the extra point & if Bortles hadnt thrown the pick six it wouldve been a tie or better..... The Panthers went to the playoffs last year so playing them close isnt that bad despite the Panthers record last year.

Quote:He didn't look elite or great, but he didn't look bad like you guys are trying to make it seem.

Yeah.. he looked bad. I guess I never realized it before, but his footwork is the worst of any starting QB I have seen in some time. He has a cannon for an arm which bails him out. Even on his INT, he was trying to get the ball out when he was falling backward. He doesn't have a natural dropback. The ball is snapped and he throws it flat foot half the time. No dropback at all. Great physical specimen who could be lethal if he actually worked on his mechanics. He gets a lot of yards on the ground and has that alpha personality that coaches like, but he did not look good just because his team won. Today, against a Defense that gave him plenty of opportunity, he looked average at best. There's no argument to be made. This is a fact.
Only a chump boos the home team!

The fact is that he got his team the win, period.  And it's one game.  It may be one of his average games, but I'm sure he's going to have many more good to great games later into the season.

Who called me an arm-chair coach for saying Sam Young is bad? I got blasted for questioning how he made the roster, lol...

This game was embarrassing.

I thought the Jaguars were setting themselves up early to run the ball well in the second half and then it seemed like we just abandoned the run and played like we're were down 17 points instead of 8.

Also, it was really concerning to see Bortles missing throws so badly that I was wondering if the WRs were running the right routes multiple times. The pick-6 throw should be completely out of his system by now.

I dont understand why they didnt give the ball to Grant or Peirce and try to run more either?  It seems that was the Panthers biggest weakness but instead they kept trying to throw in the 2nd half.

Quote:I thought the Jaguars were setting themselves up early to run the ball well in the second half and then it seemed like we just abandoned the run and played like we're were down 17 points instead of 8.

Also, it was really concerning to see Bortles missing throws so badly that I was wondering if the WRs were running the right routes multiple times. The pick-6 throw should be completely out of his system by now.
They definitely abandoned the run too early. I also was surprised at how many throws down the field looked like they were just bad throws. I am interested to see the coaches film to get a better look at many of those throws that were off and see what if anything happened or if they were just bad throws by Blake.

I know that Blake is going to throw more INT's but they just cannot go for six the other way if he's gonna lead this team to victory. He made some good throws down the middle of the field but there were too many drops by the wideouts. Blake is still learning and will make more mistakes going forward and hopefully the drops by the WR's disappear.

"Sucess Is Not a Goal, It is a By-product"

Quote:They definitely abandoned the run too early. I also was surprised at how many throws down the field looked like they were just bad throws. I am interested to see the coaches film to get a better look at many of those throws that were off and see what if anything happened or if they were just bad throws by Blake.

I know that Blake is going to throw more INT's but they just cannot go for six the other way if he's gonna lead this team to victory. He made some good throws down the middle of the field but there were too many drops by the wideouts. Blake is still learning and will make more mistakes going forward and hopefully the drops by the WR's disappear.

Agreed.

Quote:The Panthers aren't a good team. We are just that bad.
Greene took a big hit to the back of the head from Bene Benwikere on the Jaguars' meaningless final drive. Greene was heavily involved before the injury, catching 7-of-13 targets for 28 yards and a touchdown. If Jacksonville wants to move the ball against the Dolphins next week, Greene needs to be less involved. -rotoworld.